A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
160 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a Quilt Bigger?  (Read 5712 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
psycho_happy_kitten
« on: April 20, 2010 09:22:58 PM »

Okay so I made this quilt for my boyfriend for Christmas.

He loves it, and it is big enough for him, but he wants it to be big enough for both of us. Right now it is the size of a Queen size bed top. How would you quilters go about this, personally? Would you take out the binding and just add blocks (I have enough to add a row to each side, or to one side and to the bottom -- but then the monogram in the center would be uneven)? Would you leave the binding and make it into one of those quilts that has the corners 'cut' out so it lays flat(Similar to this: http://www.rockymountainquilts.com/files/images/2008/btcollectionchintz_1.jpg)? I don't really want to pull the whole thing apart (it is tied rather than quilted), but I am willing to remove the binding if need be. And if you were going to take off the binding, what would you add to the backing to make it bigger?

Thoughts? Opinions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Attention Deficit Crafter.
morus
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010 04:21:35 AM »

Hi!  I tend to make body sized quilts too, not bed sized...  I would suggest making another, larger quilt for the two of you.  Have you considered that?  Best of luck, whatever you decide.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010 09:09:24 AM »

Ugh. I'm on my second round of doing that for the same quilt. Here's what I do.

First, remove the binding.

Second, unpick the quilting stitches to about a handspan in, on all sides. (Or, in your case, undo or carefully cut the ties)

third, add a wide strip to the back, all the way around - this'll be easier for for having unpicked the quilting stitches so far in. You can do it with the rest of the quilt intact, just place right sides together and sew the strips on. Then repeat the process with the front. I'm going to suggest just a wide, plain border, rather than try to do something pieced.

Then if it's cotton batting, like warm & natural, sew a new piece of batting to the old, butting edges and using a zigzag. If it's polyester batting, stretch out both the batting that's there, and the edges of the new strips of batting, and kind of layer and mash it together. If you do this, you WILL need to quilt over the area, just to hold it all together.

Then rebaste, requilt the unpicked area, and quilt the suggestions, and put the binding back on.

This isn't all that hard, but it's often fidgety and annoying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010 03:06:24 PM »

Yeah, so I talked to the boyfriend and he agreed to let me just make another larger quilt. We can keep that one as a wall hanging or for the couch or something. I think I might try to do a traditional wedding quilt, as we are getting married next July. Anyone ever done one of these? How hard are they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010 05:41:02 PM »

I've done a few. The traditional double wedding ring quilt is ... well, more difficult than I wanted to deal with, but I suck at curves. There have been a few of them pictured over in the completed projects boards, maybe pm the creators?

For my wedding quilt, we're doing a batik lonestar swirl, though, so I'm one to talk Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010 08:16:21 AM »

I showed a picture of a Double Ring wedding quilt made by a fellow craftster to my fiance and he said he liked that pattern "very much so". So that's what I'll do. Now just to pick colors for it.

What does a Batik Lonestar Swirl quilt look like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010 07:56:51 PM »

Like this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/needlepointernc/223861263/

Only done with dusty blue batiks, instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010 01:30:32 PM »

Oh wow that's crazy. I looked at a pattern and instructions for the DRWQ and decided that maybe... I should go with something less complicated. Lol. Unless I can find directions that simplify it immensely...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010 03:07:41 PM »

hats off to you anaximander.  i will look at quilts like that on the internets not in my sewing space.  (but i feel that way about the dwr as well  Cheesy  good luck if thats what you choose to do)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
anaximander
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010 05:54:16 PM »

Oh wow that's crazy. I looked at a pattern and instructions for the DRWQ and decided that maybe... I should go with something less complicated. Lol. Unless I can find directions that simplify it immensely...  Smiley

Yeah... I'm kind of out of my mind. This is one of my other projects (I'm still. working. on. it.) - https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=195754.0

What you might find is either denyse Schmidt's "single girl" pattern, which is similar and in spirit, but much easier, or else "upsize" the size of the rings of the quilt, so that there are 4 or 9 of them that are quite large, rather than the gazillion small ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...