A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
151 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideal breakfast in cake form!  (Read 1099 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
JanelleyBelly
« on: April 18, 2010 09:07:40 PM »

So as usual, my boyfriend's birthday coincided with the completion of my classes and the procrastination of studying. He LOVES bacon (I repeat, loves the stuff) so when I saw sum1smuma's post here https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=343035.0, I knew something had to be done. In true me fashion, I decided to be way more creative than my skills and abilities, and decided not only to make a birthday cake with bacon and eggs, (life sized) but also that I must incorporate his other  favourite part of breakfast, the ginormous bowl of cereal he has. So I decided to make him a fully edible tray of breakfast in bed including an edible tray, a bowl of cereal, and a plate of bacon and eggs (I wasn't about to venture into making a glass of orange juice)

Here's what it looks like:

As you can see, my ideas far outweighed my skills (especially in the icing the bowl and plate department), but he loved it anyway.

Here  are some close ups
The bacon and eggs on a plate:

The bowl of cereal:

In case you're curious, here's how it all went down:
The tray- pound cake, food coloured the batter blue and added sprinkles (for fun) and then  baked it in a cookie sheet instead of 2 loaf pans. It worked our marvelously
The Bowl of Cereal- the bowl: a microwave chocolate cake, baked in a larger than usual bowl with a smaller bowl inside, however that left it without a bottom. -The milk: my roommate's left over store bought frosting The cereal: actual corn bran cereal (the boyfriend loves them, I however do not, so I took them from his cupboard!)  -The outside of the  bowl: "buttercream icing" recipe that really makes more of a pretty cookie glaze. Not fun to work with, very runny, and very difficult to colour (they were supposed to be orange!) but that's what you get when you're too lazy to learn how to make any other form of icing

The Bacon and eggs -the plate: another pound cake, this time not coloured or sprinkled, baked in my handy dandy springform pan, with a smaller circular cookie sheet on top (I wanted the plate to have a bit of a lip to it) HOWEVER, I screwed up, the centre didn't bake, I didn't realize it until I brought the cake peices to his place to ice and assemble everything so I had to re-bake it and then it broke when I took it off the pan, and it was just a mess. -the plate outside: the same icing as the outside of the bowl. -the bacon: tootsie rolls and caramels (see the post mentioned above)  -the eggs: white chocolate melts, and yellow chocolate melts (see the post mentioned above for method)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not!" -The Lorax by Dr Seuss
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010 10:17:25 PM »

That is awesome and I hope your boyfriend loved it!  I know I would've!  What a fantastic idea!  Bacon is made of awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
sum1smuma
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010 05:42:06 AM »

It is true...the way to a man's heart is straight through his stomach and often via his sweet tooth!
I love how you did that bowl with cereal. I called the hub at work to have a look.

We have been trying to find another family come for brunch and this would make a great dessert.
If only we could find a family interested in getting up before 11. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Insulated Lunch Sack
Take a Bath!
Meal Prep Monday: Indian-Inspired Savory English Pie

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...