A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
167 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cool, Creative Shaped Foods? Ideas & Recipes - Please post!!!  (Read 1404 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
samilynn9
« on: May 06, 2005 07:38:55 AM »

Hi - I am thinking about what to make at my next party _ i love to make creative shaped things ( Such as the rat b-day cake someone posted a few weeks ago ) - I have made breads shaped like an alligator, Cakes to look like a sunflower, a carved watermelon to look like a basket ....- You get the idea!

PLEASE post any ideas of cool looking things you may have made or pictures you have of creative shaped foods/desserts - ( sometimes i see recipes in those "womens world" type magazines, that show recipes like this if you know what i mean ) - CANT WAIT TO SEE THEM _ PLEASE SHARE! I WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING FUN FOR A PARTY I AM HAVING SOON!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sammy :-)
McAuliflower
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005 09:59:43 AM »

I Made these cute little watermelon ahi for my Glow in the Dark Party... and no they don't glow inthe dark  Wink  The idea came from the cookbook Sushi American Style by Tracy Griffith: www.powells.com/cgi-bin/partner?partner_id=29389&cgi=product&isbn=1400051037
They are carved rounds of cucumber with sushi rice pushed in to just make a bottom, and then filled with a red chilli ahi mixture and sprinkled with black sesame seeds.  My friends who don't like wasabi liked the chance to have sushi wasabi-free.

I also suggest you take a look through the Surreal Gourmet's website: http://www.surrealgourmet.com/ 
He really likes to play with his food and make it look like things it isn't.  There are recipes up at his site too.

Also, Clare Crespo is a Goddess in this realm of playing with your food!
her website: http://www.yummyfun.com/ is a bit crazy. Smiley
check out her twinkie sushi!

She's made chocolate mice, monkey looking frozen bananas, jello aquariums... do an image search with her name in google and you'll see what I mean!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
ash_a007
Save the Sea Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005 07:45:54 PM »

There is some great stuff at familyfun.com
a lot for kiddies but some of the stuff is really cool and not overly difficult. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\          /     |***    -----|       /\      | \    |
   \     /       |***    |  --       /-- \    |   \  |
     \ /         |****  |----|     /     \   |    \ |
McAuliflower
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005 03:16:17 AM »

There was a great little tidbit on a Food Network show today about a guy who throws fun shapped food parties for his friends. 

Foods they featured:

- cooked risotto mashed into a human bone shaped mold, that then set up in the fridge/freezer and was deepfried.  The result were these great humorous (the bone shape used) shaped risotto crisps that they also dunked in a blood red sauce (a marinara type sauce?).

- another molded food item: polenta fries made to look like fingers.  Polenta mush pushed in a finger mold with a cut almond for the finger nail.  Again, set up in the freezer and then deepfried. These looked really excellent!  In light of recent food events (*cough- Wendy's*) these would be cute served up with Chilli, I think. Smiley

- hamburgers with a "yucky band-aid" on top of the burger!  The band-aid was a strip of ham cut in the size of a bandaid with a square of dried "instant cuttlefish" placed on top for the gauzey padded part of the band-aid.  The guy making these even went so far as to wet down the "band-aid" with soy sauce to make it look good and used... ewwww!

It looked like great fun- Ii was awefully impressed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
samilynn9
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005 09:01:15 AM »

Great ideas you guys - I esp. love the sushi made of twinkies! How fun! I will keep looking for more fun foods myself and post when i find them - Hope everyone had a good mothers day...  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sammy :-)
highschoolcrafter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005 03:23:06 PM »

i love the watermelon ones, so cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...