A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,783
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving compass wedding invitation  (Read 26394 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_invitation , compass  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 14, 2010 09:07:44 AM »

I was at a loss for invite ideas so I went to Offbeatbride (a site I love) and she says “I think the best rule of thumb is to stay pretty basic — not formal, but basic. People are known to skim invites, and if you get too cutesy, too clever, or too longwinded, you increase the likelihood that someone gets confused.” Hmm sounds like good advice, but my style is generally complicated confusing and over engineered.

I am in love with these wedding invitations http://www.i-do-it-yourself.com/2009/05/diy-wedding-lauren-and-andrew/ but I just don’t have the money for “wheels made from two circles of untreated, recycled chipboard diecut and letterpressed to look like an old planting wheel with redwood rings on it.” My mom has a saying whenever she recreates something using what she has. She says it’s “Puerto Rican ingenuity”.
I shorten it to say I “Puertorincan-ed it” Yeah I Puertoricaned my invites…and I love them.

These are the first ones I made using a vintage typewriter font that I liked.

They were ugly and I almost gave in to the offbeat bride advice. Then I gave it one more go. I found this compass rose by googling “compass rose” and used it as inspiration. Our initials are N and E (get it? North and East) and I found a poem (by googling romantic poems) that says “Within you I lose myself. Without you I find myself, wanting to be lost again.” The fleur de lis (again thank you google) points to the topic: who what where etc. And the box cutout has the info.

I plan to have them copied onto off white cardstock. 100 copies on cardstock @ $.30 plus $20 for 6x9 envelopes at Michaels another $5 for 100 brads. That’s 100 invites for $55 plus shipping. Most of our guests are in town so I’m not too worried about shipping.

I am pretty pleased with myself. My only regret is that I have to put a brad through the pretty rose in the middle of the compass.

uncut

cut

put together

now I jut need to figure out what to do with my hair
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
lyttlegems
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010 09:25:10 AM »

These are some beautiful invites.. Never seen anything like it, Awesome!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010 09:27:33 AM »

I LOVE those wheel thingys..awesome job!! soo creative..I cant wait to see what else you come up with for the rest of your wedding..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
sum1smuma
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010 10:49:53 AM »

These are so smart. I love that they serve a purpose but aren`t typical. All the info is easy to find.
As for the hair...better not ask me. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

But can I make it out of clay?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010 08:51:57 AM »

These are beautiful! As for your hair I searched "black wedding hairstyles" and came up with lots of stuff. I can't tell if your hair has braids or dreads from the photo though. Will you have a stylist doing your hair and the bridesmaids the day of? You can talk to them, if not walk into your favorite salon and ask advice. Congrats on getting married!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Obsession: Polymer Clay
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010 08:59:44 AM »

Thanks everyone. One of my bridesmaids is coming over this weekend to help me cut out the 200 circles  Roll Eyes  I'm thinking of distressing them somehow. Maybe stamp ink. I'll research it.

These are beautiful! As for your hair I searched "black wedding hairstyles" and came up with lots of stuff. I can't tell if your hair has braids or dreads from the photo though. Will you have a stylist doing your hair and the bridesmaids the day of? You can talk to them, if not walk into your favorite salon and ask advice. Congrats on getting married!

Honey, I live in Santa Fe  New Mexico. I once called a salon and asked "Do you do black hair?" and she daid "Oh sure we do black, blond, red, any color." Thats why dreads are just easier here.

And this was morning hair. It's not usually that bad. I'm sure I can come up with something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

But can I make it out of clay?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010 11:56:30 AM »

lol That's sad but funny. My mum has to find people who can do "jewish hair" which results to a lot of blank stares or bad hair cuts that don't suit her hair texture. You're beautiful so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some hair pieces or pearls strung through your hair would look nice. You can also ask for help in the hair/bath/beauty related boards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Obsession: Polymer Clay
Buffy5x5
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010 12:56:23 AM »

What a very unique and memorable invitation.  Do they follow a wedding theme or did you just want to do something outside of the box?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010 01:50:37 PM »

What a very unique and memorable invitation.  Do they follow a wedding theme or did you just want to do something outside of the box?

I really just wanted something different. I hated all of the Brides brand invitations at the store. But I like the design so much I have turned the compass into a sort of theme for the paper goods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.najadruva.com
stuckmachinic
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010 10:03:03 AM »

This is AMAZING!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

well you're magic he said but don't let it all go to your head
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Potholders!
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...