A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 319,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
237 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blue Patina Jewelry - No special chemicals needed!  (Read 3725 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

skeptis
« on: April 05, 2010 09:17:33 AM »

Aged vintage brass seagull with vintage topaz faceted glass bead and vintage copper chain

I aged these vintage copper and brass stampings by spraying them with salty water and fuming them with clear ammonia in an air-tight container. Ammonia alone gives a green patina but the added salt makes it blue.

*Important*: The salt seems to weaken the metal so it can be potentially corrosive on thinner or fragile pieces - I lost a few stampings this way.
The pieces have to be SOLID brass or copper. Don't use plated steel or even steel objects during the fuming. They will just turn black and potentially copper plate your stampings. (yeah I did that:)

Aged vintage copper filigree leaf necklace

My setup was basically ammonia in a small plastic dish with a plastic mesh on top with my pieces laying flat, placed in a larger plastic airtight container. It took about 48 hours and I sprayed the salt 2 or 3 times.

Aged brass filigree with vintage gray glass jewel and vintage chains

I rinsed them in water and let them air dry for a day before sealing them.

this little guy has not been 'waxed'

To seal in the color I basically just used wax from a white tea light candle. I scratched off some wax from the candle and pressed it on the metal using the warmth of my skin to spread the wax. I removed the excess wax with a pointed object like a head pin and continued rubbing and scratching until I had just enough wax to give it a subtle shine. I find this looks better than using a liquid wax or a hard sealer which can chip over time.

These are what the stampings looked like before the ammonia fuming:

For more details (link goes to my blog post): http://urbannaturalhistory.blogspot.com/2010/03/eye-candy-of-day-chemistry.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nessie

I'm a seamonster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010 11:32:32 AM »

Those are beautiful!  I just purchased some ammonia for another project and am going to have to try this!  I have long admired verdigris patina.  Thanks for sharing your method.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

typewrittenwhimsy.etsy.com
drumboogie
The Lighthouse

Mad skills, or simply mad?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010 01:59:04 PM »

Love these, especially the seagull and the leaf. Good use of color.

Ammonia is all good for cleaning metals after they've been polished with a tripoli or rouge wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"

"Live is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it." - Danny Kaye
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Elf on a Shelf Tutu
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Recycled Sweater Quilt
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...