A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
225 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk Airship Jacket - First Mate - Bleached w/Stencils  (Read 8478 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk , airship , bleach , stencil  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 04, 2010 09:09:09 PM »

Another stencil bleaching project - I'm getting a bit into Steampunk, so I decided to make an airship themed jacket!

It's black denim, 97% cotton, 3% elastane. I assumed it would bleach a yellowish color, but it has appeared to bleach a very pale melon color instead, a wonderful surprise!

Some of it doesn't seem to have bleached bright enough, so I may be re-bleaching with identical stencils.

I used my Silhouette cutting machine to cut the vector shapes from Illustrator on my Mac.  Back when I bought it around 3-4 years ago, I think it was the only scrapbooking cutter machine to allow you to cut just whatever vector shapes you wanted, but only with Illustrator, and only on a Mac.  I do hope that times have changed, and cutting is more accessible now! I haven't checked yet, since I'm set. I love my cutter. The shapes shown for this project were cut into medium-weight cardstock, and it took the cutter about 30 seconds each to cut. <3

I use spray adhesive on the backs of the newly-minted stencil, press onto the garment, mask fully, and spray bleach-water (Or straight bleach for denim, as in this case) with an airbrush. I love this process, it allows me so much creative flexibility!

The gradient or 'fade' on the big gear was accomplished by holding a piece of cardstock with one hand, and airbrushing with the other, moving the paper around so as to avoid a hard line, and only allowing some of the bleach to reach the faded area. This is the first project I've tried that technique, wasn't sure what to expect, and I'm so happy with the way it turned out, it's just like on my computer screen!

I will perhaps get some of these gear buttons to replace the buttons that came with: http://www.treasurecast.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=345

I think I may end up adding more embellishments to this jacket, as soon as I decide what they should be! =D  But no more bleaching has yet been designed for this piece.

Thanks for looking, just felt the need to share!

-Sy

The Jacket at the store! It fit me well, and made the cut!

Step two was design! Big thanks to starlightcheese who, two years ago posted a model that heavily inspired my airship silhouette! See their post here, awesome tiny airship model! https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=259304.0
This is the final design displayed on my computer screen:

Then I pinned the jacket to an artboard that my hubby had laying around, didn't stretch the cloth in the work area, but forced it to lay nice and flat for me during the process, during which I had to pick up and move the artboard many times. Worked nice!

Totally forgot to take pics of the first three bleaching shapes, but here's the jacket after those were completed:

Remembered to take pics of the final stencil process: The little gears.

Here's the Wrapping-Paper uber masking shield I used

Completely masked off:

it's working!

Removing masking shield:

And viola!  --This jacket bleaches bright watermelon at first, then the color fades.

Whoops! I forgot to add the little stencil circles to create the inside holes on the little gears. Ahh well. This can be fixed later with black ink paint.  I'm pretty happy with it! =D I will perhaps post more pictures of me wearing it, it's air drying right now, afraid to put it in the dryer, don't want it to shrink. =)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010 09:09:54 PM by skullseamstress » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010 09:59:17 PM »

Great job! I have been wanting to try bleach stenciling for awhile now and this makes me want to try even more. Are you going to make an entire outfit to go with it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PureOath
Raconteur Extraordinare

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010 11:55:31 PM »

Beautiful.

I mostly just hand draw designs onto things with bleach pens, but can second that you just never know what color you're going to bleach to underneath. I usually get a gold with darker fabrics. That pink must have been a nice surprise!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010 11:55:48 PM by PureOath » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am looking to do a personal swap with (or will outright pay for) a knitter who could make an adult sized knitted t-rex sweater for Christmas. If anyone is interested, please let me know.
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

With even more hair!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010 04:16:47 AM »

I love this, especially the way you faded out the large gear.

I want to start using an airbrush so i am interested in what you are using, have you a compressor for it? or what. How tricky is it to learn to use? I am pretty competent with a paintbrush
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you. Make me something for my wedding in june (pink and white) and I'll make yourself something lovely

www.pinterest.com/edelc
GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010 02:31:46 PM »

Gorgeous! I love your design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
diCremona
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010 09:55:09 PM »

Your jacket looks amazing! You did a fabulous job (love anything Steampunk!), and I particularly like the way the fading of the large gear makes it look like the airship is moving in front of the gear - it gives interesting depth to the image. The jacket also fits you perfectly - where did you get it? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chrislea
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010 11:42:10 PM »

What an amazing project!  I've got to agree with everyone else about the gradient on the large gear.  Just breathtaking!

I've got the strongest urge to listen to Airship Pirates now...   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010 02:11:05 PM »

Speaking of Airship Pirates by Abney Park, I wore this to my first ever Abney Park Concert on April 11th, Last Sunday night! It was super cool, I'm definitely attending all the Abney Park shows I possibly can, now.  I'm quite lucky to be located very near their home base of Gig Harbor, WA! Here's an action shot, their costumes are super-sweet:

If you are into steampunk, but haven't heard of them, be sure to look them up, they go to steampunk shows nationally!

Question answering:

I got the jacket from a store called H&M in a really big mall

No compressor for the airbrush, its a small setup with canned compressed air, I got it at Michael's craft store

Outfit plans: yes! Not quite sure what to do about it yet, but I did get a pin for it at the steampunk show I went to, they had steampunk vendors, it is a big brassy looking metal gear shape, and it says "Tesla Rangers" on it, hehe! makes me happy. ^_^  I definitely need a good skirt and some better goggles/aviator cap too!

Thank you all so much for your nice words! And go check out Abney Park!  =D

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010 02:12:13 PM by skullseamstress » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chrislea
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010 02:34:32 PM »

Ahh, so cool~!!  I'll be seeing one of their concerts in June.  I've been looking forward to it for ages!  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TechnicolorAquahearts

Slytherin Pride

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010 09:56:42 PM »

OOh!! Words can not describe how amazing I think this is!! Thanks for the bleach stencil tutorial I have been dying to do something with bleach stenciling and just didn't know where to start!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AquaheartStudios
Follow Me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LynnAquaheart
I have a blog about all things creative! http://lynnaquaheart.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...