A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,783
Currently Running With Scissors:
310 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: T-shirt Quilt  (Read 1472 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , football  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
silverstah
« on: March 28, 2010 09:43:19 PM »

I'll admit, I'm not much of a quilter - I'm a costumer by trade and hobby, so quilting is a wee bit foreign to me.  but when a good friend asked me to do a t-shirt quilt for her husband for Christmas, I couldn't say no! 

First, here's the top all laid out.  As you can see, he's a pretty big football fan. Smiley

One of the interesting challenges of this project was the condition of some of the shirts - the client had her fiancee's old high school football jerseys, which had obviously been well loved. I ended up stitching around all the holes, to keep them from getting bigger as the quilt gets used. It seemed much less intrusive than patching.

The other big challenge was the mesh jersey. I ended up backing it with a piece of broadcloth, and stitched around the numbers to stablilize them. Once the block was quilted, it felt really strong and secure. Also note the kickin' fishing fabric. I don't know if he's a fisher, but manly quilting fabric is harder to find than I thought it would be.

The finished product!  Laid out on a queen sized bed in my messy bedroom. Smiley

Things I learned:  WALKING FOOT.  OMG, I used a friend's machine with a walking foot for the second half of the quilting, and it was BLISS. 

it's not perfect, but my friend is thrilled, so I'll consider it a success. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://feelingsheepish.etsy.com - Hand painted and dyed rovings for spinning
http://www.silverstah.com - Historical and Fantasy Clothing
http://silverstah.blogspot.com - Law school, sewing, married life, and general gabbing about life
Padester
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010 04:42:07 AM »

Very cool!  Great idea to sew around the holes to stabilize them.  I bet her hubby will love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amissingbutton
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010 05:47:56 AM »

I love how neat it looks. And how the t-shirts are in such nice even rows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yeah, I Blog...

Check out my Grandpa's Etsy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Potholders!
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...