A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
208 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help needed!! Amputee shoe project  (Read 1563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mandy4285
« on: March 25, 2010 07:46:05 PM »

Hello Fellow Craftsters!!!!!

A recent challenge has been brought to me by a close family friend.  In November she lost the bottom part of leg to Diabetes.  I have  never seen someone recoup so fast.  She has bought a dress for church on Easter. She is concerned she will look funny wearing tennis shoes. She has been told by various doctors "She has to wear the tennis shoes". My honest opinion... Screw it I would totally rock a dress with tennis shoes lol...and everyone at church is aware of her surgery.  But I understand she wants to look and feel special... So I piped up I am sure there is someway I can jazz them up...YIKES!  She is very excited...BUT this is her everyday special tennis shoe $$$$.  She does not have $ to buy a spare pair for me to have my way with lol.... So I am wondering what can I do thats temporaory or taken off??? Any thoughts?Huh??

MANDY
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010 06:18:21 AM »

Can she wear anything over her lower legs?  You could make her various snazzy spats to go over the tennis shoes.

Search etsy for "spats" for many examples.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010 10:21:32 PM »

Buy a pair from the thrift store to decorate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010 05:08:32 PM »

I agree with with Ludi. If these are "extra special" shoes that cost a mint, then decorative shoe-covers is a fab idea Cheesy Not necessarily spats that cover just the instep, but like... shoes for over her shoes, ya know? I'd go with spats if her tennis shoes are nice and simple, without a bunch of contrasting bits or seams, and full shoe-covers if the special shoes are busy-looking. Take a look at her former collection of shoes to find out what she likes. I also think shoe clips are hilarious and awesome. I had a whole bunch for my mary-janes as a kid. Most of them were actually clip-on earrings! Another really simple solution is coloured shoelaces to match her dress.

And as leighi123 brings up, why can't she wear other shoes? Is it because the prosthetic leg is... I dunno, a weird shape that can't fit in a normal shoe? Or that her prosthetic needs to be properly aligned with her upper leg just so? Elders are allowed to remain seated at church for all the up-and-down parts, so if she only needs to walk from the car to her seat and back to the car (and take part in whatever ritual the church performs, like communion), how comfortable would she be wearing a pair of her favourite shoes from before the prosthetic? She won't know unless she tries, and I think the only reason NOT to do it would be if it pains her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010 05:02:37 AM »

My favorite designer of spats is Maide: http://maidestreasuries.blogspot.com/

But spats like hers might be TOO fabulous for church!    Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010 05:03:09 AM by Ludi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...