A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
110 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: XXhi Converse help Post is very photo, website and question heavy  (Read 1448 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

sk8rkat14

Without me it would just aweso

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2010 03:48:59 AM »

Ok well awhile ago I made a post about making the converse boots.
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329292.0 Now since I'm on spring break, (woot!) and I have money to buy fabric, I have some questions that might help me considerably before I jump into this. Basically I am combining these two tutorials. http://www.chezlin.com/2008/09/oh-my-god-shoes/
http://community.livejournal.com/t_shirt_surgery/4482106.html#cutid1
By ripping out the high top chuck I have and making the measurements with that fabric and my own legs. Then attaching the fabric pieces to the chucks. My question is will shoe glue be enough to keep the fabric on the shoes or should I keep like a small trail of fabric on the chucks and sew the pieces on as best I can and use glue the as further reinforcement? As if thats not enough my second question is about this

These shoes use zippers and I'm already a bit worried about the boots being tight and me and zippers have a love/hate relationship. So would I be making my life horribly difficult if I substitute that piece with elastic? Just by at first sewing up 2 or 3 inches the folding fabric and continue sewing with the elastic in the middle? Yeah I am an in an out sewer, so I have just never really done anything with elastic so I don't know if its evil. lol Any thoughts, critisms or hints, and tip are greatly appreciated. If you read this whole thing bless you for hanging in there Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010 12:54:20 PM »

I would follow the first tutorial in regards to getting the fabric put toegether for the outside bit and the second one for the actual knee-high pattern. But I'm sure if you used some decent shoe glue to hold the fabric in place to the actual shoe bit, it should be fine. As far as elastic/zippers go, the zip idea sounds pretty gnarly - especially if the zip was in a contrasting colour to the actual shoe! Cheesy *idea...heehee...* But if you're in doubt about the zipper thing, get some heavy-duty elastic strips to put in the back of the shoe. I would suggest making a 'v' shape that would be around 5 inches long or so down the calf to however wide you need it to be without making youself uncomfortable - your leg will be comfy whilst to lace the shoes up!! Smiley I really, really hope that made sense to you!! Enjoy your new project! I think I might do it, too!! Smiley -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org.uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
sk8rkat14

Without me it would just aweso

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010 04:08:35 AM »

Yep your post made sense. I was just trying to get every possible question and/or hinderance out of the way before I made these shoes. Because they're kinda awesome and it would suck to screw them up. Although now you have tempted me to use zippers. But I just don't know if my man calfs can take it. lol But thank you you have now made my half-baked scheme fully baked....or at least a bit closer to completely baked...thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...