A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
267 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Remembering Parents  (Read 2264 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Lizabiz08
KniftyKnitterChick

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2009 12:57:14 PM »

My FH and I have 1 parent between the 2 of us. It's my mom. His father passed away when he was 15 and his mother passed away 5 months ago. My dad passed away 8 months ago. It would mean a lot to me and I think him to be able to commemorate these people at our wedding. Does anyone have any ideas how we could do this? Thanks for any suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wife to 1 (8/26/12)
Mama to 1 boy (3/6/11) and 3 fur children (01/05/10), adopted (3/18/13) and adopted (8/4/13)

~Current Swaps~
GreeneyedGirl
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009 05:49:18 PM »

You could post their pictures somewhere special at the ceremony and/or reception (somebody carried small pictures in her bouquet), serve favorite foods or desserts of those you want to remember, print a few words about them and their pictures in your program (if you have one), light a candle for each of them during your ceremony. I dunno. these are just a few ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

I've got a smile on my face & trees all around me

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009 05:36:57 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your collective losses.

If you search this board there are a bunch of ideas, Sweets4ever, included small pictures on bouquets, others have posted pictures, and others have remembered people in other ways.

One thing to keep in mind is how your other guests will respond to the remembrance as you want your wedding to be a joyful occasion and you don't want to be making people feel uncomfortable. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

The only PhD I earned stands for Pretty Happy Dropout! Now starting new adventures!
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009 05:53:51 AM »

photos are awesome..as well as maybe objects that are sentimental to maybe just the 2 of you..that would remind you of your parents.

its YOUR day..be sure to enjoy yourself..

photo ideas:
-framed photos with candles lit next to them..
-photo candles-where pictures are put onto candles
-photo locket for you to wear
-photo charms

have a great wedding Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
snips and snails
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009 02:18:48 PM »

I have seen this done many ways, as well. I saw someone already mentioned the bouquet "button" pictures, but I saw them first here:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=277955.0

When my cousin got married, we all took a small moment of silence as she laid a rose on an empty chair (where her mom would have sat) The guests were all given bells to ring and tied to them was something like "These bells are in remembrance of my mother who, might not be here to celebrate in the flesh, but each ring is a kiss from heaven" or something like that.... it was really very special.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009 02:27:55 PM by snips and snails » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nightchild01

My memorial tattoo.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010 03:00:40 AM »

I joined (partially) so I could respond to this. My mom died very suddenly just short of a month before I turned 12. I'm 23 now and I think about her and miss her every day. I really want to acknowledge my loss and honour her at my wedding coming up in the next year or two so I thought about it long and hard. I've decided to do the little picture charms people mentioned on my bouquet and then ask my dad if I can borrow their wedding album and get a picture of her in her wedding dress blown up then leave the album next to her photo with a small sign that says, "In loving memory of..." I thought having their photo album from their wedding might make it less sad.

Anyway, hope this helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be a victim. Accept no ones definition of your life; define yourself."
- Harvey Fierstein
Vampira_666
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010 10:02:56 PM »

We just got married August 13th, 2010 & we wanted to include DH's "Poppy" (Grandfather) & my grandparents even though I didn't know my grandfather and my grandmother died when I was quite young.... we opted for Photos of them On our sand ceremony/signing table & they were also mentioned in our ceremony as well..we spoke to our minister and asked if he could do a moment of silence for them & he was more than happy to oblige! Just before he pronounced us husband and wife he stopped for a moment and said "The bride and groom would like everyone to take a moment to remember a few very special people who cannot be with us today, the grooms grandfather Larry & the brides grandparents Ada & Alexander". It was beautiful and actually brought tears to both mine and DH's eyes as well as a few of our guest!! I also had as my something old -one of my grandmothers rings & a locket that belong to a great aunt with a photo of my grandparents and Dh's grandfather tied in the back of my bouquet!!

it was very important to us- especially for "poppy" to have him included in our wedding as he was a very special person to us both!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~ Vampira_666 ~*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...