A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
257 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College bound crafter!  (Read 1244 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Muffins_Goes_RAWR
Don't get your bloomers in a bunch.

Glamour is art and I am my own work of art.

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2010 12:19:20 PM »

I'm leaving for my first year of college (Yay Kent State Uni!) and have two questions!

I refuse REFUSE to be the stereotypical sweatpants and tee-shirt college girl. What kind of things can I make for myself that are pretty and presentable without being too fussy to put on in a rush and don't need tons of ironing? Pattern or fabric recs? I was thinking of recon-ing a school shirt or two into something more put-together for some spirit wear. I plan on joining a sorority as well.  Cheesy

Also, how have you lovely sewers dealt with your sewing addictions and the cramped dorm room space? At home I have the entire basement for my crafting but I'm going out of state and going home all the time is not practical.

Thanks so much everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days, that are the most intriguing." - Alexander Wang
Aislynn
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010 05:27:33 PM »

First, think in terms of your whole wardrobe.  It's a lot easier to put together nice, presentable outfits when most of your wardrobe coordinates.  The rule:  if you don't own sloppy sweatshirts, you won't be caught in one.  I liked skirts when I was in college, because I could pull them on with a plain (fitted) tee or sweater, and be gone in two minutes.  They're also really easy to make.  I had a fondness for linen-look fabric, moleskin, laundered cotton, and jersey, which are all pretty easy to take care of, and don't wrinkle easily (and if they do, it looks okay).  Also, a pair of plain black, boot-leg yoga pants can get you through breakfast, class, a brisk jog, and evening study group, with just a shirt change here or there.

I never tried to sew in my dorm room, but my roommate did it quite successfully.  I'm also in pretty cramped quarters where I am now, and I do okay.  I have one of those plastic drawer units that holds my basic sewing supplies (thread, bobbins, scissors, etc.) a drawer that holds patterns and scraps, and a drawer that holds enough fabric for at least two skirts and a dress at a time.  One of those under the bed storage thingies comes in handy too.  The trick, really, is to not buy more fabric than you need for a given project or two at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
professionalpineapple
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010 11:26:42 PM »

Ooh! This is exactly what I do!

I'm a crafter at college, and I try and wear mostly skirts, because, like Aislynn said, you can throw a tee shirt over them and be ready for class, or put on a nice blouse and be ready for presentations and dressy dinners and things like that. They're fun to make, too, and everyone is so impressed when you brag about it. xD

This is what my room looks like (sorry for the mess, but my desk is always a disaster area). I have a really big desk with a bed over it, but I put the mattress under the desk and store fabric above. I have a ton of plastic boxes for holding fabric, so they sit up there and stack nicely. If you have a lot of fabric, you should definitely get some of these, because they're so incredibly handy and they fit just about anywhere. You can tell that I'm always rifling through them, because I never shut the lids, so there's fabric just hanging out everywhere. Same goes for the dresser by the window. That weird black and white thing is actually my sewing bag. xD

The sewing machine sits on my desk next to the laptop and in front of the printer, and I have a bookcase for textbooks and sewing books and patterns. If I need more desk space, I just push stuff back (which is where the mess comes from) or put the cover on it and stick it in one of the nooks and crannies. My ironing board folds up and can be hidden away, and the dresser it's on top of is full of sewing implements and clothes.The rest of my clothes are in the closets (I have two! I was lucky this year! Cheesy) and in boxes, because I don't need my shorts in the middle of winter.

This year, I was lucky and ended up with a nice big single, but I've been in doubles with no problems, except for less closet space. When that happens, I just leave more stuff in boxes, and only take out stuff that I know I'll want to wear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps!
pinterest|wists
RemadeRemedies
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010 09:08:54 PM »

I'm a freshman in college right now and one of my best decisions was getting a job, specifically in the costume shop.  You get paid to sew, learn how to make belts, shoes and period clothing and best of all usually the staff is flexible about letting you come in to work on your own things off the clock (at least in my experience.)  You end up learning so much, perfecting your sewing skills and loving work. :]  Hope this is helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...