A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 314,340
Currently Running With Scissors:
111 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Epic piñata is epic  (Read 1148 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2010 02:57:39 AM »

I'm British. here in the UK piñatas are a relatively new thing (mainly thanks to Asda supermarkets being taken over by WalMart), and as such there's not much choice in the commercially available ones. basically you can get a scary looking donkey, or a cone with "wildcats" on it. As my daughter dislikes donkeys and has no idea who the wildcats are (yay, she's not into high school musical!) I decided to be stupid and make a piñata.
here is a pic of it about halfway thgough, i thought it's make a good thumbnail pic which is why it's here lol!

It started life as three baloons, two local free newspapers (Yellow Advertiser) and a bowl of flour and water paste.

oh noes! one deflated overnight!

well if this happens to you, wet it all over, pull out the broken balloon and insert a new, non-inflated one. be prepared to get flour and water paste on your face as you then re-iunflate the new balloon inside the wet papier maché shell.... or, you know. be sensible and start another one. I'm not sensible.

allow to dry for around 12 hours each stage.... and don't do what I did, I used two layers of paper and goo. this turned out to be too hard for 4 year olds to attack with sticks.

anyway, that pic above is when i began to assemble the body of the butterfly. yes. it's a butterfly.
I put the sweets and toys in just before this point....

getting features like a proboscis, antennae and legs:

sorry, I'm impressed with how I managed to make the proboscis. wet papier maché wound into a coil, wrapped with dry white paper like an old fashioned ringlet, then coiled again and held with wool until dry...

yeah, we hit another flaw here. newspaper print shows through crepe paper. argh. what do I have that can help? ACRYLIC PAINT!!!

I love its cute little face.

wings are made from drinking straws, saranwrap (clingfilm in the uk), crepe paper and PVA glue. they're light. and transluscent. woot.

Then to get the string through the body, I used a technique taught to me by my uncle when he used to mend leather motorcycling outfits.... a large, sharp bodkin needle and two pairs of pliers to force it through the papier maché. it was at this point i started to think maybe it was a bit strong, but this point was the night before the party. Sophie had been promised a butterfly piñata and she'd darned well get one.

finito!! I spent 4 days making something that was destroyed in under 5 mins by 9 x 4 year olds holding sticks.

*sob*

oh well. they had fun, and amazingly nobody got hurt!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
deb7845
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010 03:46:30 AM »

they're so cute! it's so nice of you to post them here. great job
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010 03:48:29 AM by deb7845 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

the armchair craftster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010 06:11:10 AM »

she's cute! I like her proboscis!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010 11:11:01 AM »

Another great Mom  Grin You did a really good job on this guy and I love the eyeball, eyeballs  Grin  I can just hear the other kids now telling their parents they want one also....you may get some phone calls LOL  Grin The colours are very pleasing also, great choice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad
@Home This Weekend: A Whale of an Idea
August 8, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...