A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
167 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Favorite Things Poppet Swap Send offs 3/12/10  (Read 19732 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
DizzerSpinninRound

Homeschoolin mama of 5 little cowboys

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2010 11:47:21 AM »

I have been non-stop poppeting  Cheesy.  Mine is all put together and I sewed on the hair.  I really like the way she is turning out.  I have learned that it better to put on the eyelashes after you finish the hair.  I put them on first and ended up breaking them because she was face down while I was sewing the strands. 

I have one outfit done, but I am having problems with shoes.  Does anyone have any links to a shoe tutorial?  I can't find any.
You could always get some polymer clay (even the air dry kind) and mold the shoes so that it fits the bottom of the foot and get some ribbon and stick it in there...I should really post a pic of this. I know I've seen a tut somewhere...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2010 12:10:11 PM »

I just posted tons of tuts for how to make doll shoes on the first page of this thread (where the other tut links are). Good luck!

Some people have also found that they can buy doll shoes, from the doll making section of the craft store, for their poppets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pupper

If buttons ever become currency, I will be rich

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2010 12:11:50 PM »

I have been non-stop poppeting  Cheesy.  Mine is all put together and I sewed on the hair.  I really like the way she is turning out.  I have learned that it better to put on the eyelashes after you finish the hair.  I put them on first and ended up breaking them because she was face down while I was sewing the strands. 

I have one outfit done, but I am having problems with shoes.  Does anyone have any links to a shoe tutorial?  I can't find any.
You could always get some polymer clay (even the air dry kind) and mold the shoes so that it fits the bottom of the foot and get some ribbon and stick it in there...I should really post a pic of this. I know I've seen a tut somewhere...

Thank you!  That sounds like a cute idea, I could make strappy shoes that way.  I will be checking out the tutes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarkingBandits

My Wist: http://www.wists.com/Pupper

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pupper/

I love swapping craft supplies!
Lindag35
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2010 02:08:55 PM »

Can some of you please tell me how you glue the eyelids to your poppets? Mine always look like crap!!

I kinda wrap it around to the back and they don't look all nice and unpuckered around the top....I bought eyes that are too big too, and the color is coming off of them...what the heck?

I bought them from suncatchereyes....just not having fun with the eyelids...and how do you attach the fine eyelashes?! Any help is sooooo much appreciated, and I bet my partner will thank u too!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellemir
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2010 03:35:06 PM »

Eyelids and eye lashes are always fiddly. Allow yourself lots of time and have patience. This is one part of poppets where rushing is always a bad idea. I always want at least three hands to coordinate it.

In my experience, you need good lighting (think daylight), the right glue (holds well, drys fast but not so fast you cant manoevre pieces around ) and a cocktail stick to hold the eyelashes down at any point that pops away( and to apply thin lines of glue precisely). Suncatcher's eyes are painted on the underside, so once in place the colour doesn't scratch off. Not everyone tucks the pieces under. If your fabric doesn't fray, gluing it firmly to the eyeball and maybe leading the top edge on to the face and glueing it down works too. Every person and every poppet finds the variation of the technique that works eventually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sushiluvzombie
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2010 07:18:40 PM »

sketched out some outfits! i think i'll be doing a complex one with lots of diff components, and then a simpler outfit that's a totally different style. hopefully i won't want to kill myself in the process of making all of this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2010 10:00:45 PM »

Can some of you please tell me how you glue the eyelids to your poppets? Mine always look like crap!!

I kinda wrap it around to the back and they don't look all nice and unpuckered around the top....I bought eyes that are too big too, and the color is coming off of them...what the heck?

I bought them from suncatchereyes....just not having fun with the eyelids...and how do you attach the fine eyelashes?! Any help is sooooo much appreciated, and I bet my partner will thank u too!! Smiley
I just glued my eyelids on, but I had made them from felt. I haven't done eyelashes yet, but I just plan on gluing those on as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2010 12:09:25 PM »

I use a  quarter and cut a circle out of acrylic felt that size and then cut it in half. that's my two eyelids. (you can also use the poppet fabric if you want her/him to not have eyeshadow) for larger eyes just add at least 1/4 inch to the edge.
I then use a toothpick and put e-6000 on the top 1/2 of the eye, then add the lashes. then I put another tiny bit of e-6000 on the edge of the lid. Then I put the felt onto the eyeball and cover just the edge of the lashes. I like the e-6000 since it's not dry till it's sat overnight so you can kind of move the lid around a little till it's exactly how you like.
I do this after I've put the eye in the head. But others like to do the eyes first and let them sit overnight, then put them in the head.

I got pupper's poppet sewn last night. And managed to fix hubbys pants too. Now I hope to stuff the doll tonight and tomorrow. I have to decide if I want to do wig style hair or stitched directly to the head style hair. I'm not sure which would lend itself best to the hair style I want but I'm leaning towards wig style. (but permanently stitching said wig to dolls head)

then I get to sketch and make outfits. and such Smiley I all ready packed the supplies into a box so now it just needs the doll and her stuff. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2010 12:31:58 PM »

thanks for explaining that so well! I will have to use e6000 with this one. I used super glue with my last one, but I do love my e6000 glue (for the same reason you stated, you can still move it around till you have it just right).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2010 12:34:36 PM »

thanks for explaining that so well! I will have to use e6000 with this one. I used super glue with my last one, but I do love my e6000 glue (for the same reason you stated, you can still move it around till you have it just right).
And no gluing fingers together(done it) or fingers to things(done it) or things you did not mean to get glue on to other things(done it). lol
it's the perfect glue for someone klutzy. (me)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...