A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is super awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 321,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
202 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Deodorant  (Read 95325 times)
Tags for this thread: natural , deodorant , craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Vallyncia
Sweet Detachment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010 08:22:53 PM »

This is awesome. I`m really bothered by the usual type of deodorant (more the thought of putting potentially damaging substances on my body every day just to than because it bothers my skin) and I can`t wait to try this.Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be happy is to be creating.
Bewara
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010 12:03:01 PM »

I have a question about the hardening/heating. If I wanted to put this into one of my old deodorant containers, do I heat the mixture before jamming it into the container or heat it in the container?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I never know what I'm doing. I just fake it really well.

http://www.thehappyfunshop.com
My Wist

Craft Swaps:
Embroidery Hoopla Round 3- stitching, stitching, stitching
Delectably Deviant
the artist formerly known as monkeystuffer

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010 05:57:29 PM »

Thanks for posting this recipe, girlonbike!  My mom might really like this, she's not a fan of store-bought antiperspirants.

One question though, the oil in it doesn't cause it to stain your clothes at all, does it? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Germanica

Martha Stewart powers - ACTIVATE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010 06:16:41 PM »

I tried using baking soda and cornstarch as deodorant. It didn't work for me. Around 3 to 5 o'clockish I smelled a faint smell of, well, you know. I checked with some of my friends who make variations of homemade deodorant. It seems that its success varies with your body chemistry.

I should also add that most aluminum filled stick deodorants don't work for me either  Undecided There's one brand that works for me and that one's clinical strength.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Condo Blues http://condo-blues.blogspot.com/ Green living, crafts, decor and dogs from the Frugal Green DIY Diva.

Lazy Budget Chef http://lazybudgetchef.blogspot.com Real food, real quick, for real budgets

Follow me on Twitter! @condoblues
cinnamon teal
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010 11:49:30 PM »

Germanica, have you tried pit putty? I've heard awesome things about their deodorant and they have a guarantee that if it doesn't work, they'll replace it with another of their deodorants until they find one that works. I haven't tried it yet myself, but it was going to be my next bet if the homemade variety didn't work.

Has anyone else had problems with grease stains from the coconut oil? Is there another base that would work without damaging my tops?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlonbike
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010 08:27:57 AM »

i don't have a dehydrator... what about heating on the stove?

I've also popped it in the microwave for about 2-3 min and it came out just fine. Basically just any form of heat will do. (this is if you are using corn starch, the cornstarch activates and thickens with the heat)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlonbike
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010 08:29:32 AM »

I have a question about the hardening/heating. If I wanted to put this into one of my old deodorant containers, do I heat the mixture before jamming it into the container or heat it in the container?

Jam it in the container, then heat the whole thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlonbike
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010 08:31:13 AM »

Thanks for posting this recipe, girlonbike!  My mom might really like this, she's not a fan of store-bought antiperspirants.

One question though, the oil in it doesn't cause it to stain your clothes at all, does it? 

I've never had a problem with staining while using this deodorant. It can leave white residue (that washes away) if you don't use enough coconut oil though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlonbike
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010 08:34:40 AM »

I tried using baking soda and cornstarch as deodorant. It didn't work for me. Around 3 to 5 o'clockish I smelled a faint smell of, well, you know. I checked with some of my friends who make variations of homemade deodorant. It seems that its success varies with your body chemistry.

I should also add that most aluminum filled stick deodorants don't work for me either  Undecided There's one brand that works for me and that one's clinical strength.

I know what you mean, I too am a clinical strength girl. I sweat like nobodys business. This recipe works for me because of the Tea Tree Oil. It is anti bacterial so it kills all the stink. It doesn't stop you from sweating but it does stop you from smelling. I highly recommend trying this recipe including the tea tree oil. You might even want to try 1/2 tsp of tea tree oil instead of 1/4. You might just be surprised. 

Lately I've been upping the tea tree oil, adding other lovely scents as well and using a little bit less coconut oil. I'm very happy. This recipe is great because you can mess with it a bit and make it work great for you and your body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CoanTeen
Witch who Walks without Feet

Searching for my own "Golden Path"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010 01:31:50 PM »

Wow! I'm so going to try this! I stopped wearing deodorant in jr high, and it wasn't a problem, but now i live in Texas and well it's hot, but I still refuse to put all those chemicals in my armpits >< this sounds like the perfect solution!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geek chic, Gamer Gorgeous, Punk Pretty, Angry Beautiful.
You want it? I Made it!
www.ShinshayOriginals.com

Wist- http://www.wists.com/Coanteen

Need crocheted hats, Will sew anything for you if you can make me hats!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...