A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
309 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Rant  (Read 986 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
soxymoron
« on: January 23, 2010 03:01:00 PM »

I think there's something wrong with me. Every time I get maybe 3/4 of the way through a large knitting project things start to wrong. I've finished the body of a jumper and I'm halfway through the first sleeve...suddenly I seem to have forgotten how to knit, I drop stitches and have to unpick and randomly start knitting in the middle of a purl row etc. It's so frustrating being close to the end and not able to get any further. Anyone else have the same problem? Would it be best to walk away for a while or work through it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittersusie
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010 04:01:01 PM »

I don't get it so much with knitting except when I'm doing it when I've been doing it all day and I'm knackered, but I get it a lot when I'm learning piano pieces, or bell ringing, or anything else like that. I think it's just a wierd mental thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010 06:35:38 PM »

I get this occasionally, where I catch myself doing weird things, or I find that I've somehow switched directions while working in the round and have about three rows of reverse stockinette instead of stockinette. That's always frustrating. When that starts happening, I'd suggest putting it down and doing something else for a while. I tried to work through it, thought it was sort of like getting a stitch in your side when you're running and if you just keep going it'll be better afterward. Not so, at least not for me. I think it's because the more you keep at it when you're having one of those moments, the more frustrated you become, which just makes things worse. So my recommendation is that when this happens, with knitting or anything else, take a break.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

busyfingers
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010 05:23:04 AM »

I agree with Special KRJ, but would add that I always unpick the work before putting it down and walking away. Otherwise I would be put off picking it up againknowing that I have to start unpicking before I can get going again!
Maybe in my case I make mistakes because I can see the end of the project looming and I start getting impatient to see the finished article.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was homemade. Maybe Mum didn't follow the pattern properly???
soxymoron
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010 09:55:42 AM »

I'll definitely remember to unpick before I walk away in the future. It's disheartening having to start with undoing work. I have a feeling this project is going to be ignored for a bit now. I'm glad I'm not alone anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010 09:00:37 PM »

Sometimes projects need a time out to think about how they're misbehaving...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...