A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
149 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Peace-Love-Art ...a journal  (Read 2092 times)
Tags for this thread: journal , coptic_stitch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
jolenemarie

Make Art - Not War

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2010 09:08:44 PM »

I still can't stop making journals! Grin

Here is one I made recently. I always use canvas boards for my journal covers - why worry about warping?... and besides...canvas boards are affordable and readily available just about everywhere in a variety of sizes.

I did a lot of layering of paper and paints on these covers to achieve the look I was going for. It measures 5"x7" which is usually the largest journal I make. To create the words Peace - Love - Art I stamped the letters onto the same type of paper I use in my journals (140# index) and then I cut each letter out using an Xacto knife before gluing them to the cover -- I love dimension and incorporate it whenever possible on my covers. For me a journal has to 'feel good' in my hands as well as being functional.

Hope you like it - I am happy to share my techniques - don't be shy...just ask! Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be kind to yourself

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010 12:26:57 AM »

hey sweetie. I love your journals too. If you ever get some time I would love to see a tute. Especially for how you bind them all together. I have made a couple of journals (you inspired me with a post from ages ago!) But nothing as detailed as this, the last (best) one I made was suede covered, it wasnt perfect though, it wasnt an esternally stitched binding like this one. So I would love to learn the techniques you use. Do you fully cover the canvas boards front and back, drill holes and add in the signatures? You mentioned the 140 index paper (I think that is the same as the 140GSM paper) but the back of the signatures in the pic you posted are different colours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
jolenemarie

Make Art - Not War

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010 08:54:54 PM »

hey sweetie. I love your journals too. If you ever get some time I would love to see a tute. Especially for how you bind them all together. I have made a couple of journals (you inspired me with a post from ages ago!) But nothing as detailed as this, the last (best) one I made was suede covered, it wasnt perfect though, it wasnt an esternally stitched binding like this one. So I would love to learn the techniques you use. Do you fully cover the canvas boards front and back, drill holes and add in the signatures? You mentioned the 140 index paper (I think that is the same as the 140GSM paper) but the back of the signatures in the pic you posted are different colours?

edelC - I remember you well! So nice to have contact again! The first thing I do to my canvas boards (which are already primed) is give them a base coat of acrylic paint. Then I begin creating the cover - most often I like to layer various decorative papers/tissue paper- I like to build these layers to create texture and interest - I never really have a plan - I just let it take me where it will. I use an awl to punch the holes on the covers and the signatures. To 'separate' each signature I use a sheet of decorative paper - thus the interesting exposed spine look! Otherwise all you would see is the white paper. The exposed spine technique I use is the Coptic stitch, which allows the journal to lie completely FLAT when opened. I would be awful at making a tutorial  Undecided But I do have instructions for the Coptic stitch and if you send me a PM with your email address I would be happy to send it to you as a Word attachment!

Thank you for always being so supportive and kind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angelicus
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010 11:48:27 AM »

I love this....Thanks for the idea of putting decorate paper between signitures. I have made one art journal for a swap and have another with the covers done ready to be stitched up. One thing I found when I did the first art journal is that the holes for the coptic stitching were not quite accurate - do you have an easy way to make all the holes or are you just more carefull than I am Cheesy?

Thanks for the inspiration and advise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog:thoughtsonbubblesandstuff.wordpress.com

Don't frown because someone might be falling in love with your smile.
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be kind to yourself

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010 12:32:15 PM »

I love the idea of different pages to seperate the signatures. thanks jolenemarie. I will send you my email address. I have seen coptic stitches tutorials online, but always like to read a couple of different descriptions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
MaWee04
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010 02:01:17 PM »

Your journals are always beautiful and inspiring to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jolenemarie

Make Art - Not War

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010 03:40:12 PM »

Your journals are always beautiful and inspiring to me.

Wow - such a nice compliment - so VERY kind of you to take the time to say so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiecate57
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010 01:33:51 PM »

Great journal! I've been meaning to start journalmaking for a long time now. Maybe I'll finally man-up, so to speak, and buy an awl and start finally! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
&blog
˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ pɐɯ ןןɐ ǝɹ,ǝʍ

timshel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...