A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
189 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cutting with scissors is hard!  (Read 6816 times)
Tags for this thread: papercutting , silhouette  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
twoeyedcyclops

Hi, I like you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010 10:04:19 PM »

You need an x-acto knife with fresh blades, for sure. I use cutterbee scissors for all of my paper crafts Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look me up on Society 6!
http://society6.com/twoeyedcyclops

I also have one o' them tumblrs
http://cyclopsmakething.tumblr.com/
I Sew Cute
I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010 09:53:50 AM »

Very pretty!!!

Try an xacto knife and change the blade often.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
greenfaerie
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010 11:00:29 PM »

Try an xacto knife or even a swivel xacto knife. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
cathryn
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010 10:25:25 AM »

i used to do silhouettes at a theme park, we used cuticle scissors. they work amazingly well. if you're working on a flat surface, though, for larger things x-acto blades work pretty well too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i_am_138
Sew Vicious

Sew Vicious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010 12:12:19 PM »

Wow, I love this! Nice job. I am not even close to being as talented as you are, but I find it much easier to use a circle cutter to do those tiny little cuts. That or buy a rotary cutter with a small blade and use that. They are under $10 each and they definetely make those tiny cuts a lot easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

milkmaid01
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010 01:28:05 PM »

Thank you for all the tips. I am going to get an xacto knife from what I hear from you all.

i used to do silhouettes at a theme park, we used cuticle scissors. they work amazingly well. if you're working on a flat surface, though, for larger things x-acto blades work pretty well too.

I love this idea!  I was looking up silhouette cutting online and found this group that cuts silhouettes as entertainment at weddings, parties, etc.  Using scissors alone they could cut a silhouette in under 30 secs, and they were dead on!

Wow, I love this! Nice job. I am not even close to being as talented as you are, but I find it much easier to use a circle cutter to do those tiny little cuts. That or buy a rotary cutter with a small blade and use that. They are under $10 each and they definitely make those tiny cuts a lot easier.
Thanks for the kind words.  The part that is cut out is the brown, and the light color is the background of my table.  In this case I was cutting around the circles to give the illusion of them, so I'm not sure if the circle cutter would work in this situation, or maybe I don't know what you are referring to?  I'm thinking of a hole punch.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010 01:29:37 PM by milkmaid01 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jericho
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010 04:04:43 PM »

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see the rest!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's your mom!
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010 05:08:32 PM »

great!

i learned at school, that the angle one holds the blade is important for cutting without tears.
if the blade is very close to the paper in general, it won't tear. because it can slide trough the paper.
if just the knife's tip touches the paper, it tears more, because the blade can't slide along the paper like it should.

hope that makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cealy
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010 04:28:50 AM »

I agree with the cuticle scissors, in both curved and straight. I would use them for all the tiny areas and the longer areas I would use Fiscar scissors, I have had a pair for 18 years and still wont let my kids near them because they have never dulled.

Beautiful work!
Just an idea, if you use a metallic paper behind them they will look like the old fashioned pictures I saw recently at an auction which sold for $50 a piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
milkmaid01
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010 08:22:25 AM »

I agree with the cuticle scissors, in both curved and straight. I would use them for all the tiny areas and the longer areas I would use Fiscar scissors, I have had a pair for 18 years and still wont let my kids near them because they have never dulled.

Beautiful work!
Just an idea, if you use a metallic paper behind them they will look like the old fashioned pictures I saw recently at an auction which sold for $50 a piece!

Metallic paper-- that just opened a whole 'nother window of opportunities in my head.  Thanks!

Does anyone have sources they recommend for interesting paper?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...