A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,811
Currently Running With Scissors:
180 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Labour of Love - Double Wedding Ring Quilt  (Read 13480 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , featured_project , double_wedding_ring  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

kmb007
« on: January 05, 2010 02:14:03 PM »

So if someone told me a year ago that Id be giving my best friend for her upcoming wedding a hand made double wedding ring quilt, Id have called them crazy.  But now its that year later and I just finished a queen/king size of said quilt.  I say queen/king because its in between those two sizes.  It was here on Craftster that I saw this pattern and thought that it was really cool, not realizing its probably one of the hardest patterns out there.  Reading on about it, found that it was a traditional gift for weddings, so I bought an acrylic template pattern and stared at it for about a month.  I even attempted to make a ring with scraps to see if I could sew on a curved line, disaster.  You see, a year ago Id never made a quilt of any kind.  I mean I knew how to sew but not quilt.  Ive made about 10 quilts now, but fairly easy in comparison.

Finally in August of 2009 I went and bought the Mark Lipinski line Califon black and white and again stared at the pattern.  I tried again with scraps before I cut up this beautiful fabric and realized my machines seam was off.  Once it was fixed, it worked.  There was my AHA moment. In September I made my first ring and then my second and then by the end of November I had a 6 by 7 ring double wedding ring quilt top.  I added two borders and then made the quilt back.  Theres a quilt store here in Ottawa (www.quiltypleasures.ca) where you can rent a long arm quilter (much fun!).  I thought Id try just outlining each ring but when that looked like crap, I pulled it all out and started to just free motion and have some fun.  I added hearts and stars and even put my name into the border.  After blowing a fuse on the machine and a weeks break in between, it took about 3ish hours in total to finish.  This past weekend I cut and sewed on the binding.  When finished, I gotta tell you that I was a little misty and then my husband was like, are you sure you want to give it away?   Yes, yes I am!  So here it is, 4 months (not continuously) of labour and love and voila!

All Comments welcome! Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trilogy Edibles - For the Love of Treats - Custom Desserts and Wedding Cakes! @ http://www.trilogyedibles.com/
sarahdipity
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010 02:31:16 PM »

This is so beautiful.  I'm sure your friend will love it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tree Sprite
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010 03:21:31 PM »

Congratulations on finishing this beautiful quilt!!  You are brave to take on a double wedding ring - I just started quilting, but I think you did it the right way - just jump right in!  (That's what I've been doing so far - who needs classes?!)  I know your friend will love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisbirdsabsurd
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010 06:45:05 PM »

I have a double wedding ring quilt that my great grandmother made!  I have always been in awe of that kind of skill - you should be so proud and I really hope the recipients realize what an awesome and special gift they are getting.  Beautiful!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a new website! www.thisbirdsabsurd.com and I'm still on Etsy www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thisbirdsabsurd/753468561415455
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010 08:38:24 PM »

Stunning and special.  Nicely done dear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BattleAxe
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010 09:25:51 PM »

Best quilt evar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010 09:52:43 PM »

This is gorgeous. It will be cherished for generations. What a wonderful gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wtpdesigns
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010 12:19:17 AM »

this is just... WOW... i too am planning my first quilt and chose the same design... but i had seen a show on tv eons ago that decided for me lol next time you wanna make one, i may have an easier way... google "phillips fiber art wedding ring" they sell a book and template that make it much easier according to what i've seen and heard from a lady i know who owns it... but gosh, the time and love you put into it shows... she will LOVE it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
grendelsmom
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010 04:19:58 AM »

Wow, it's stunning!  I love your quilting, it's so frivoluous and fun.  Kudos to you for taking on a super-challenging quilt as your first - you are a brave and hardy soul!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stellou
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010 06:28:34 AM »

This is absolutely amazing. Your friend is very lucky indeed Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

back to quilting...hurray and I dusted my art material Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Quilted Scissors Cozy
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Brigaderios

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...