A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 314,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
221 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 194
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 DeStash-Along-CLOSED--Join us in the 2011 Destash Along  (Read 257497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Rinoa1024
« Reply #1300 on: August 02, 2010 06:41:54 PM »

So what say we challenge ourselves to make something fun for the joy of creating and not as some sort of "punishment" for buying supplies!

Does anyone else feel that way?  If so, let's post one item that we WANT to make and we ALREADY have the yarn or fabric in our stash!

For me, the purpose of destashing is to actually use the yarn I have instead of buying more yarn that will go straight into the stash.  Most of the yarn in my stash was for projects that I had in mind when I bought the yarn, but for whatever reason, never got around to working on.  Then time passes and I fall out of love with the intended project but I still have the yarn left over with no project to use it on!  THEN I buy new yarn for a shiny new project I like (but never get around to starting).  The new yarn gets piled into the stash.  It's a vicious cycle. Cry

This year, I've learned to work with my stash rather than find an excuse to buy copious amounts of yarn.  There are many projects that I'd love to knit, but I'm starting with the ones that I can knit from stash first.  (I've been working on a lacy cropped cardi from stash for a few weeks now.)  I figure if I really love a project but don't have any suitable yarn for it, I can wait for a few months to see if I still want to knit the item.  If I am, then maybe I can justify the purchase (and cast on right away!)  If I fall out of love with it by then, I'll know it wasn't meant to be and will count it as another stash-inflating event avoided.  There aren't enough hours in the day to spend crafting, so I figure I should spend the time I do have making things I like.  Knitting is a hobby, not a chore. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1301 on: August 02, 2010 06:42:37 PM »

I just finished my first rug. I used up four? Six? Eight, no, 22 yards of material?

Ok, ok, the last amount is just a wild guess. This figure is most likely arrived at by the sheer length of time it took to finish. I used up more like four yards of flannel, all left over scraps from various sleep clothing endeavors over the last couple of years. Oddly enough, they were almost all blue. Huh I had to buy like 1 1/2 yard of white to finish it off.

A link to more detailed info. https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=355609.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #1302 on: August 02, 2010 07:22:24 PM »

RLB, that rug is amazing!

I keep hoping that the heat will break, so I can get to work organizing my craft storage space. It's an old-fashioned "sleeping porch" that is off of our master bedroom upstairs. The windows were all painted shut years ago, there are no AC vents to it, and our AC is not adequate for the upstairs anyhow. Opening the windows, if I could, would not help since it will be 101F here tomorrow, with an even higher heat index. Our neighborhood is a bit of a heat island, and if it is 101F elsewhere in the town, we could have closer to 108F here. Good times! I'll keep busy weaving winter things. Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1303 on: August 02, 2010 09:33:07 PM »

I'm totally in agreement with you, Always! I'm not going to feel guilty buying something. But, I am more concious of not buying impulsively.
  As for feeling the need to get rid of stash, I don't. But, making an effort to turn that massive use of space hoarding stuff means I'm getting a lot of free projects done.
  Sometimes I just get tired of having to pull things out to get to something, because it's packed in so deep under the table. If I don't put it away As I pull it out, I can't move around in the space. But supplies are valueable.
  No Guilt here! I just refuse to buy stuff that doesn't have a specific project in mind, and will put off buying something if I know I'm not going to work on it for a while.
  I do entertain the thought of doing a massive thrift store drop, but the reality is that I would end up missing the stuff. Been there, done that!!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010 09:35:07 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 02, 2010 11:30:23 PM »

For myself, I have more craft supplies and things in my craft room than I could use in more than one lifetime.
I am 46 and have items from when I was a child.
For the longest time, we had no money, and as a single parent I also had no money. ( not asking for pity here, its just a fact)
About ten years ago, I started the best paid job I have ever had, and without being consiuosly aware of how much I was buying, I bought myself everything my little crafty heart could ever want.
And as some one on here quoted, I have never met a craft I dont love.
It finally got to the stage where I found myself buying items that I knew I had, but could not find.
This destash-along is very dear to my heart.
I had a massive cleanup, tossing a heap of things out, then donating a heap of things to the op-shop, then even more to a charity craft.
Now I put stuff in boxes to give to my mum, who does a second -hand market stall type thing, to make her some money.
I make crafts out of my stash now, and make them with love and joy.
All the swaps I have recently done, have come from my stash.
Currently I am addicted to the Teesha Moore craft along, and found some great embroidery threads in my stash, that I still didnt know I had.
A lady at work offered me some fabrics yesterday and I finally had the will power to say," thanks but no".
I have suggested my daughter shop for fabrics from my room, before she heads to the shop.
Little by little, I am learning to live with less, but I feel like a recovery alcoholic.
I am so attached to stuff!
Thank you all, for just being here and being a great inspiration to me.
Regards
Sue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
momcuellar
« Reply #1305 on: August 03, 2010 04:20:18 AM »

I think once i got into the groove of looking at the crafting supplies I had, and applying it to the designs in my head, I started having fun. 

I do try now to "shop" my stash first before I go to get something.  I also try to Mcgyver stuff going into the recycle bin to work for my designs. 

I think this craftalong has helped me alot, because I'm motivated by all the things that are made here. 

All of you are awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Never Let It Fade Away.
Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1306 on: August 03, 2010 06:16:16 AM »

first of all, that rug is very very inspiring...I made a simple t-shirt crochet rug inspired by pinokeeo and now I would love to try either a weaved one or the hooked one!  They are so special because they are made of stuff you already have!  I think more than ever a craftalong for that would be a terrific motivator and a way to learn how to do it!

What kind of tools do you need to make a hooked rug like that?

Also, it is nice to know that everyone has different motives for destashing...I think I am sort of in the same boat as scrappysue...I had years of excessive crafting supply spending and now I want to scale down to supplies and things I truly love to work with...

I have given away a lot of things that I am not enthused about working with...yarns that a beginner might love or fabrics that I bought when there were little kids to craft for...I have also given away some very special fabrics that I no longer want because my job situation has changed and I do not need any nice clothing for work (jeans and t-shirts are all I need now)...

You guys are inspiring and motivating...I can't believe I actually dug around and found that silly skull fabric and started laying out my pattern...I have had that fabric for at least 3-4 years... Cheesy

I have joined no swaps for August on purpose so I can craft my stash and do my 50 projects as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1307 on: August 03, 2010 07:12:20 AM »

What kind of tools do you need to make a hooked rug like that?

It is a locker hook, it looks like a size G crochet hook with a large sewing needle eye on the opposite end.

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/notions-lockerhooking.html

It is actually a fairly frugal craft to get in to as you only really need one specialty tool, the hook. You can use any left over fabric or yarn scraps. I used part of a partial skein of yarn that was not being used and the pattern is completely up to you.

I have given away a lot of things that I am not enthused about working with...yarns that a beginner might love or fabrics that I bought when there were little kids to craft for...I have also given away some very special fabrics that I no longer want because my job situation has changed and I do not need any nice clothing for work (jeans and t-shirts are all I need now)...

Do you ever have a difficult time giving up items you know you will not use anyway? For me, I can not think of any one who could use half of the stuff I am no longer in love with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1308 on: August 03, 2010 07:36:17 AM »

Yes, sometimes it is hard for me to give up stuff I know I will not use...I get a bit of "seller's remorse"...and sometimes, I go for what I gave away and remember that it is gone...my new rule is that if I have it in my stash longer than 2 years, I probably will not use it...the exception is basic stuff like polka dots, stripes, solids, etc.

I give a lot of my stuff to people who might be able to use the fabric for utilitarian purposes: there is a great group of women who make tote bags for hospital patients of all ages...there is a teacher who teaches at risk girls and boys how to sew after school...people who could use the fabrics to cut up for other projects, etc.

ha ha at my age, I doubt I will ever use the fabrics I bought to make bikini's or halter tops! Cheesy

Thanks for the info on the locker hook!  What an interesting tool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
LaughingLark
« Reply #1309 on: August 03, 2010 08:02:52 AM »

That locker hook is cool! I've never seen one of those before.  Smiley

I started the rag rug along. I made it "ongoing" in the title, because I've been here for five years, and I'm not going anywhere. I hope that was okay, since it is a brand new craft along.
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=355647.msg4161638#msg4161638

I'll be adding tutorials to the first post as I find them. I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

I'm almost finished with the crazy scarf I was working on. I'll have to finish it this afternoon. Ian and I are going out for a walk before the heat gets too brutal for kids. I hope to get a pic of it up this afternoon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 194 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Cool Pupcicles for Hot Dogs
Tute Tuesday: Flower Crown
Tiny House

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...