A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 320,816
Currently Running With Scissors:
228 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 194
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 DeStash-Along-CLOSED--Join us in the 2011 Destash Along  (Read 256743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1290 on: August 02, 2010 12:30:04 PM »

I never thought to use my old crates and boxes to package gifts!  I have a few of those CD crates that I no longer want or need (everything is downloaded now!)...

good luck with your reorganization...

Hey--I was re-reading the thread and was wondering what the purpose of it was...I mean, seriously, do you think any of us will ever be 100% destashed and do we even want that?  I don't think we need to feel guilty or bad for buying supplies...destashing should be a fun and challenging way to rethink and use up stuff we loved and bought with no purpose in mind...but we should still be able to purchase more things for other projects.

I don't know about you, but I don't always have what I need in my stash for a swap or a special gift...

I was using destashing to force me to rethink how I can use my supplies in creative ways...to think before buying...to organize my stuff so as not to forget I had it...

So what say we challenge ourselves to make something fun for the joy of creating and not as some sort of "punishment" for buying supplies!

Does anyone else feel that way?  If so, let's post one item that we WANT to make and we ALREADY have the yarn or fabric in our stash!

Ready?

I have 3 yards of a skull knit fabric that I have had forever.  I am going to make myself a hoodie for the gym.. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: August 02, 2010 01:01:43 PM »

Hey--I was re-reading the thread and was wondering what the purpose of it was...I mean, seriously, do you think any of us will ever be 100% destashed and do we even want that?

Yes, I do want to bring my stash down. Gone completely? No, that is not what I want. But when I had a three day stand off with a wolf spider over who really 'owned' my stash because I must store my stuff outside, I knew it was time to make my stash small enough to bring inside the house. Plus right now, I can not find the directions on how to finish my rug. They are 'somewhere'.  Roll Eyes

So what say we challenge ourselves to make something fun for the joy of creating and not as some sort of "punishment" for buying supplies!

Heh heh! Isn't this what we have been doing? I know for myself, I have been finishing off projects that had languished last year due to both a work related injury and work itself. I am excited about everything I am making and it is helping me to see old problems in a new light, being able to fix things that have needed fixing for a very long time.

I have 3 yards of a skull knit fabric that I have had forever.  I am going to make myself a hoodie for the gym.. Cheesy

Now that is something I really want to see. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #1292 on: August 02, 2010 01:23:41 PM »

It is that joy of making things that I would like to see more of...I was feeling like I was a failure for not destashing enough and found that I really didn't want to reduce my stash as much as I thought...just a psychological thing, I think...

I am more motivated by positive outcomes so I thought it would be good to look at my stash as a wonderful place to shop for things to make for myself...not a panic feeling that I had to get rid of it!

Yeah--I need a hoodie for the cooler days spent outside in boot camp! Cheesy
If I am going to sweat, I might as well sweat stylishly! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
LaughingLark
« Reply #1293 on: August 02, 2010 01:45:43 PM »

I see this thread as a way to help me to be more creative with what I have, and also to bring my stash under control, so I can enjoy crafting more easily than I can right now, with clutter. I'm not trying to use up all of my stuff as part of this craft-along, just getting encouragement to craft more in general. Smiley

I got the first loom partly to make a dent in my yarn stash, but I quickly found that I have a new hobby that I love very much. That's why hubby went ahead and got me the bigger Kromski for my birthday. I enjoy weaving so much that I have lost about 20 pounds since I got the Cricket. I don't munch out at night as much; I'm too busy weaving, or reading about weaving. I decided to take the plunge and get the loom in no small part due to this thread. Am I enjoying myself? You bet!

I was thinking about starting a craft-along about Rag rugs, using any method to make them that you like. What forum be best to put it in, and would any of you be interested? Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #1294 on: August 02, 2010 01:48:45 PM »

I think one of the best things here was your weaving...it is obvious you love it and you have shown a wonderful way to use up crappy and good yarns to make beautiful things!

You can start any type of craftalongs in this board (just read the rules first, please!)...are you talking about any type of rag rug?  I love the t-shirt one I made and pinokeeo made a huge fabulous one as well!  I think a few people were interested in the toothbrush rug...hey, if it does inactive, fine, but jump in if you like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1295 on: August 02, 2010 02:09:13 PM »

I was thinking about starting a craft-along about Rag rugs, using any method to make them that you like. What forum be best to put it in, and would any of you be interested? Smiley

I'd be there! And, maybe the housewares board?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #1296 on: August 02, 2010 02:22:01 PM »

Thank you, Alwaysinmyroom!  Smiley

Yes, I'm talking about any type of rag rug. That way, more people can be involved, and we might also encourage each other to try making different types of rugs with our fabric strips. I'm thinking about building a simple frame loom for making rugs. There are more ways to weave a rug than on a big loom. I'd like to explore that. I want to try the toothbrush rug for sure (I have my needles ready!), and I've never crocheted anything bigger than a dishcloth, so a  crocheted rug is on my list of things to try this year. Somewhere on Craftster I saw a rag rug that was knitted in the basic knit stitch with HUGE needles, then a few panels were sewn together into a larger rug. It was really cute. I find the idea of braiding a rag rug daunting, but maybe if I saw one in progress, it would make more sense to me, and I would try it. There are doubtless other methods to make a rug.  Smiley

I need a lot of rugs. The economy is not great, and we have a light colored carpet that has been cleaned so many times that it's starting to fall apart. There is a decent hardwood floor under the carpet, but it needs work. For now, I'd like some area rugs to perk the place up. I think there are a lot of us in the same boat, not wanting to spend much money, or wanting to reduce waste in the landfills.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010 02:23:28 PM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1297 on: August 02, 2010 03:07:16 PM »

qazicat--you make so many nice cards--but you never seem to be out of stash! ha ha Are you secretly buying more paper? Wink

I am a Stampin' Up! demonstrator, so yes I am buying more paper.  But I also run card making classes so I buy the paper for  my classes.  However I did have a lot and I mean a lot of paper before I became a demonstrator.  The cards I have been making lately have been to use up some of my older paper from before I became a Stampin' Up! demonstrator.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1298 on: August 02, 2010 03:11:20 PM »

wow, more amazing cards!
 Grin
does it make you feel christmassy all year round? Or does it make you feel less christmassy when it really is christmas!?

I love Christmas,  and I always make Christmas Projects all through the year.  And it doesn't make it less Christmassy in December.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 02, 2010 03:18:56 PM »

I am hoping to finish a lot of UFOs and gain back space that way. My stuff doesn't fit into the craft room and I have to move piles out of the way in order to do anything. I hope to end the year with a cleaner more spacious craft room, more stuff completed that I like and a smaller To-Do list.

I have donated some stuff, mainly stuff that I bought whan I first started knitting and now I like better quality. I am not forcing myself to use crappy supplies, just to persist when a project gets difficult instead of succumbing to the siren call of starting/buying something new, which will of course proceed quickly and flawlessly to its conclusion.  Roll Eyes

Hoping to have another bag to post in a day or two. It has been sitting unassembled with its flowers just waiting for its leaves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 194 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: The Red, White, and Blue
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...