A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
329 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 456
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 Projects 2010-CLOSED--Join us in the 50 Projects 2011  (Read 616628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #790 on: January 14, 2010 06:06:45 PM »

I just finished my second project tonight! Well, excluding the time it needs to dry... but that's another story... here's the link: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=334286.0
It's the first quilt I've ever completed! My Grandma's Fairytale Quilt for Christmas '09 ^_- I'm so far behind on my Christmas crafting!! Hehe1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
Ariethine
« Reply #791 on: January 14, 2010 06:16:32 PM »

That's really cool. I like how she can add more. Smiley Your embroidery is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tcmatteson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: January 14, 2010 06:26:08 PM »

Thank you Smiley It was a lot of firsts for me. First time trying satin stitching, and first time quilting. A random lady at the fabric store told me how to simplify doing the binding by just foliding the backing fabric over to the front! It was too awesome how simple that made things and I didn't have to use actual binding which was the part I was worried about the most! Maybe one day I'll try binding, but not until I learn how to stitch a much straighter line, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Ariethine
« Reply #793 on: January 14, 2010 06:28:28 PM »

Ooh! That's a good idea!! I need to make a quilt for my bf and me. I was totally freaking out about the binding. O.o I SO did not know!! Thanks!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #794 on: January 14, 2010 06:48:53 PM »

I was petrified to do binding because everyone else was and you know what?....... it's not that hard, really, pretty easy actually, don't sike yourself out about it! really...... Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010 07:09:53 PM by pjherbert » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ariethine
« Reply #795 on: January 14, 2010 07:03:18 PM »

I feel so much better now! I thought for sure I would have to go buy binding, or try to make it... Makes me want to work on the quilt... but oh god the SQUARES! I'm thinking about doing really big squares. Because no matter what my squares always come out lopsided. Always. Even if I cut them from the same pattern piece. It's insane... T.T I feel like I'm never going to get to cross that off my list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tcmatteson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #796 on: January 14, 2010 07:12:52 PM »

Why not try doing a smaller lap quilt as a practice run? My squares were not perfect on this quilt, I can tell you that right now... but it's those small inconsistencies that make it completely unique to yourself Smiley Plus, having one of those square quilting rulers helps! I have a 6"x6" one that I have used in so many projects not completely inclusive to fabric... makes squaring ATCs and inchies so much easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #797 on: January 14, 2010 09:07:45 PM »

Your quilt is lovely and represents your Grandma's family...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #798 on: January 15, 2010 12:07:40 AM »

I have the same problem trying to get perfectly identical pieces.  In the end I discovered something that works very well for me:  when I cut the iron-on interfacing it is much easier to get them right because it is like working on paper, and because I cut them withouth seam allowances, once they are stuck on the material they are marking themselves the seams, so I only have to follow the edges to get them right.  Although it looks like a lot of work for a quilt... I've never quilted, but that hexagon work I've seen here is making me want to try that technique.
And I have to add two pairs of trousers to my list.  I've disintegrated my favourite pair (possibly will become a skirt now), and I am afraid I am bursting the other pair Sad
Snif... the clothes you like to wear more often are the ones that go earlier.  Why should it be that way? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #799 on: January 15, 2010 12:54:42 AM »

I made my first lap quilt last yr for my parents Anniversary and I used oversized wide satin ribbon for binding. I tried to press it down by folding it in the middle. Can someone tell me if there is a way easier way to do this? I have 2 more quilts planned for my two toddler nieces and need some tricks of the trade, or secrets from the professionals.  I love the hexagons so far. Also the hats are phenomenal by the way.  Looks like we are all on our way... What happens if I finish my list well before the end of the yr?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 456 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...