A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
244 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 456
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 Projects 2010-CLOSED--Join us in the 50 Projects 2011  (Read 616841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: January 13, 2010 06:57:01 PM »

my purling question from before, maybe a visual will help
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=334093.0
The main part of these gloves... all little 'v's... that's purling right?  When I try to do multiple rows of purls... I get like one row of 'V's... the the rest look like I knit stitch. I dunno if Im turning my needle or something.  I'm going to watch that video that someone suggested a few pages back when I get the chance.
I just looked at those gloves. The cuff part is a knit1-Purl1 ribbing.  The little v's are from the knit side. the cross-wise stitches inbetween are the purl stitches. Except to keep the pattern going, you have to reverse the stitch on the back side. That's every other row if you are using plain straight needles. The main part of the glove is stockinette stitch, done with knit 1 row, purl 1 row. The back side shows the nubbies. The smooth side is the KNIT side.
If you just do one stitch or the other,row after row,  your end result will ALWAYS look like GARTER stitch... nubby on both sides.I have a good old book with easy to follow pics, but I can't show them here due to copyright issues. (Or can I just photograph the specific photos?)
Anyway, feel free to PM me if you want. The main thing to do is practice COMBINING the 2 stitches. Then you will understand how the patterns are done.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010 07:00:02 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #741 on: January 13, 2010 07:55:49 PM »

OK, here's my list of 50 finished and refined with some changes.  Of course, I'll also makes gazillions of swap items and go off list a lot as need and mood suit. Wink

My 50 Projects in 2010

1.  Crochet new winter hat out of thick yarn for my son.

2. Crochet new winter hat for myself.

3.  Sew a long, patchwork denim skirt.

4.  Become safely competent at using the scrolling jigsaw.

5.  Learn how to sew zippers.

6.  Learn how to make sewing machine button holes.  

7.  Crochet a long vest.

8.  Sew a long, patchwork, Turkish style vest.

9.  Make an iron-on transfer Claude Rains t-shirt.

10.  Learn how to do freezer paper stencils.  Decorate at least 2 thriftshop/yardsale t-shirts.

11.  Learn how to sew sleeves.

12.  Always bake cookies from scratch.  Learn more recipes than just basic chocolate chip.

13.  Set up an organized shelving and storage system for craft supplies in front closet.  

14.  Sew new kitchen curtains.

15.  During this cold weather, craft thicker cover (modified window quilt?) for the 2 smaller windows in the living room.  Recon/recycle?

16.  When warm weather comes, make new curtains for the large living room window when it's time to rehang the warm weather curtains on the smaller windows.

17.  Make 2 long, hippified, patchwork warm weather skirts.

18.  Learn how to crochet up that gnome pattern I got in a swap.  Get proficient at it.

19.  Try crayon tinted embroidery.

20.  Craft every birthday gift all year except my dad's (all he wants is an envelope full of snapshots of his grandson).

21.  Learn how to make (and get good at) homemade pastry crusts.

22.  Make a polymer clay octopus necklace.

23.  Learn to solder, and make a project that requires wiring and a battery.

24.  Crochet Avery's Thomas/Percy/James colors blanket.

25.  (I'm getting a menstrual cup when my tax return comes.)  Make a menstrual cup bag.

26.  Learn to crochet a pair of socks.  Then, upgrade skills to crochet a pair of crazy, stripey socks.

27.  Embroidery pi to a bunch of places on the plain, pale sage green handmedown throw pillow from my grandmother.

28.  Get up the guts to enter items into competition at the county fair.

29.  Crochet a shawl for myself for the next time cold weather comes around.

30.  Make draft stoppers for windows and doors throughout the house.

31.  Consistently make and use homemade clothes soap.

32.  Make a new seat for and completely recover the big rocker I got for $5 from the thrift shop.

33.  Refinish and cover a new seat for the vintage step ladder stool I got for $1 at a yardsale.

34.  Sew a sewing machine cover.

35.  Learn to bake my own bread and do so regularly.

36.  Practice and get really decent at drawing Celtic knotwork.

37.  Make an "If I can bake a cake, I can build a bomb," cross stitch for the kitchen.  
(inspired by:  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292735.0 )

38.  Clean up, sand down, repaint the supercute vintage metal stool that I trash picked and sew a round cushion for the top.

39.  Someway, somehow cheap/free craft a rug to cover the old heater grate on the floor heading into the living room.

40.  Turn son's bedroom door into a TARDIS.

41.  Make at least 5 hats and 2 blankets or lapghans for Hats for Heroes.

42.  Make myself at least 5 fabric headbands (tie kind, not elastic kind).

43.  Make myself a scarf somehow using up the Kermit the Frog flannel remnant I got at Hancock a while back.

44.  Crochet a soapsaver.

45.  Spruce up my car inside and out.

46.  Start a beararium with my son.  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=312480.0

47.  Establish an etsy store.  *so intimidated by this!!!*

48.  Make a summer skirt from the big piece of fabric that looks like vintage handkerchiefs.

49.  Make a long, billowy skirt from the blue sushi bar fabric.      

50.  Sew myself at least 4 pairs of summer shorts out of cute fabric: loose, comfy, modest length, and with big, useful patch pockets.

51.  Sew a KitchenAid cover (smart, practical idea that I am blatantly stealing from earlier in this thread).  (I added a 51st since I finished my son's hat before I joined this -along.)

#52  Make an iron-on transfer Mythbusters Curse of the Snowplow t-shirt

#53  Make an iron-on transfer Kyuzo from Seven Samurai t-shirt

#54  Make an iron-on transfer t-shirt featuring a black and white capture of the old What's My Line? with John Daly, Arlene Francis, Dorothy Kilgallen, and Bennett Cerf.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010 12:22:34 AM by Aikibookworm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
I.D.ten.T error

Randy Marsh, you're my hero

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 13, 2010 08:41:09 PM »

I'm in.  Heres my to do list so far (i don't know if i have 50 things yet, but I'll keep adding to it if I dont as I think of things)
1. Sew a BUNCH of bibs for my drooly baby
2. sew at least 10 pairs of baby pants to fit her over the next year
3. onsies
4. baby hoodies
5.baby dresses
6. baby shirts
7.Finish all the half finished stuffed animals I've got started
8.make a dress form for myself
9. use said dress form to make myself some clothes
10. Get old metal shirts from friend and make him that metal quilt i've been promising him forever
11. use leftover metal shirts to make myself some kick ass clothes
12. make something for my dad to celebrate his retirement
13. make at least another ten diapers for babe, and the STOP USING DISPOSABLES!!
14 make a waterproof bag to hang off stroller to put wet rain cover/umbrella in
15. make myself a scoodie
16. make great friend somethig truly awsome.. i'm thinking pop tab purse.
17. finish crocheting stuffed animal hammock
18.crochet at leat one outfit for baby
19.make closet organisers
20. make hanging shoe organiser
21.organise the four huge boxes of fabric and sewing notions i've got all over the place (im thinking a shelfing unit made outta cardboard somehow.)
22.make halloween coustume for neice 1
23.make halloween coustume for njeice 2
24.learn to kni and actually finish a project, even if it is just a pot holder
25. make placemats
26.make oven mitts
27.make dress for friends daughter
28. make clothes for both my sisters kids
29. learn how to make shoes/boots for myself and baby
30. stencil baby clothes/bibs
31.use thhe kit i bought 6 months ago to make a crystal statue of my baby's hand.
32.make a ton more dog beds for selling
32.make a ton more stuffed animals for family , friends and maybe selling.
33.make something for my friend to use as a prop in her baby photography business
34.make a quilt for myself
35. learn how to shirr properly and make something shirred.
36.make something pleted
37. apllique smoething
38.make a nicer chair cover for my bfeeding chair other than a nasty old duvet
39. make a new duvet
40. make patchwork twirlly dresses for my daughter, neices and friends little girls.
41.make pillows and blankets outta my stuffie material pile
42. make baby some cool toys, and an activity mat
43.lean how to make homemade soap
44. make and use cloth wipes instead of disposables
45.make a hoodie for my husband that he will actually wear
46. make a waterproff bike helemt cover for my husband
47.finish the snowsuit I started for my daughter BEFORE it gets too warm for her to wear it  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=334367.0
48.make a corset and actually wear it
49.use up the HUGE (and I really mean HUGE) pile of teddy bear material in my lin laws garage.
50.make myself a bathing suit i wont be too embarassed to wear.

i'll  cross off as i complete them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010 02:00:22 PM by I.D.ten.T error » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: January 13, 2010 08:46:06 PM »

Aikibookworm I am so glad to see some learn to's on your list. I have learn to's on mine as well! I figure learning something like knitting, or zipper sewing will probably invest a LOT more of my craft time than some of the things on my list I'm at least decent at already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

« Reply #744 on: January 13, 2010 08:47:46 PM »

This is the best thread..... by the end of the year... how many pages will it be? 75 now and we are not two weeks in... I know, because everyone is joining and posting their lists... but look at how many friends we will all have at the end of the year! Not just about crafting.... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

« Reply #745 on: January 13, 2010 08:58:14 PM »

Aikibookworm, a Tardis door sounds awesome!  We got hooked on Doctor Who and watched the whole new series in probably 3 or 4 months!

I'm glad to see to learns too, and I've got a few, even though I need to learn another craft like I need another hole in my head.  I don't know if it's because I haven't found the right thing for me yet, but I get really excited one thing for a while and do a ton of it, and then get sick it and get really into another thing.  I usually come back to everything eventually, but I guess I'm just a jump around kind of crafter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ariethine
« Reply #746 on: January 13, 2010 09:01:34 PM »

Me too bunnyface. I tend to go from crochet to sew back and fourth. The only reason I don't have more crafts is because I can't pay for all the new supplies it would take to do them and support my current habits. I would love to learn how to knit, but other than that, I haven't tried too much. Oh, a little embroidery.
And we will be at MANY MANY pages by the end. (I know, because I won't shut up. Tongue )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 13, 2010 09:18:03 PM »

I'm happy to see learn to's as well.  I have a few on my list, too.  I think it should be a priority for everybody to learn something new at least once a year. Wink

I'm progressing with my projects again.  All these meetings take up too much of my crafting time.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects challenge

52/50 done
Im Sew Silly
If you're crafty and ya know it, clap your hands....

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 13, 2010 09:20:47 PM »

well i just 'made' a little item...that wasnt on my list Cheesy
i have been looking for a bento box to make my kiddos lunch and snacks fun (super picky eater!) and maybe she will be open to trying more new things. Alas, around here its hard to find anything like that. So whats a mom to do but dig thru her tupperware stash, find a tray shaped one thats clear with a clear lid and get out the ole perm markers and draw a cutsie pic on the top!
So...i guess i need to add 'make shift bento box' to my list and cross it out now?  Wink
i will try to post a pic when my camera is happier...its been cranky lately Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exodus 35:35 (NIV)~ He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple, and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers - all of them skilled workers and designers

Current Swaps:
Poppet vs Amigurumi
sunshinesmiles
« Reply #749 on: January 13, 2010 09:23:40 PM »

I conquered this last year and I'm so excited to do it again!
Hopefully I can make the things that I took of my list this year!
And list to follow, once I think through everything I have to make Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts a Year for 2010: I have to recount...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 456 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...