A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 314,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Non-Frumpy Punk Nursing Dress  (Read 9505 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Smokering
« on: December 22, 2009 12:48:48 AM »

So after breastfeeding for 21 months I got sick of not being able to wear dresses. Nursing tops available online tend to be pretty bland and dismal, but at least most shirts do in a pinch (unbutton, unzip, lift up or down, whatever). Nursing dresses are a different matter. The ones online I found were very frumpy, old-fashioned-but-not-in-a-good-way, or blah black stretchy numbers that doubled as maternity wear (which is the last thing I want to wear now that I'm not pregnant!).

So. The punk nursing dress. I drafted the pattern myself, and I do believe this is the first wearable garment I've ever created for myself. I'm a newbie sewer. The fabric was $3 from a remnants bin, and I had only tiny scraps left over. Smiley it was slightly stretchy, which helped conceal some of the flaws of said pattern-drafting!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009 12:49:52 AM by Smokering » THIS ROCKS   Logged
IdlersDesign
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009 01:57:52 AM »

Wow, wow! I wish I had a dress like that when I was feeding   Shocked
If you're new to sewing you're really talented, looks perfect on you!
I never make garments for myself because I'm afraid it will look terrible, but this gives new hope and inspiration  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
Smokering
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009 02:12:34 AM »

Thank you! Smiley I'm actually ridiculously pleased with it out of all proportion to its worth, simply because I've never made anything I could wear before. Well, an apron... but come to think of it, even that was kinda dodgy and you didn't want to look too close at the bias binding. I've done plenty of other sewing, from small quilts to cushions to baby clothes, but adult garments somehow have the extra scary factor. Maybe because I care what I look like more than the baby does! :p Plus, cutting out fabric for adult clothes when you're used to making infant clothes is scary... there's so MUCH of it! Metres of the stuff!

So anyway, I highly recommend making something to wear - it's a high. Smiley I was inspired by it and have tons of design ideas for further nursingwear, mostly waiting upon our bank balance so I can buy the fabrics. In the mean time, I'm on a tote bag kick... 'cause why not?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AdrianM
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009 03:07:40 AM »

What a brilliant style!!!  That pattern never even occured to me when I was going through those days some years ago.  I do remember saying to myself that the maternity clothing actually made me feel more unfeminine than I had ever imagined  as I was reading your post and how excited I was to put back on a dress.  You couldn't look any more delicate, feminine and gorgeous.  As I get family and friends who are breastfeeding too, I will now have something that will actually make them feel better about themselves as well.  You have helped out many women on your same plight.    Thank you for your posting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smelsmin
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009 05:37:52 AM »

This is really cool. It's great that it functions as a nursing dress but it looks great simply as a dress. Great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Missing_Muse

Craft like you care!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009 12:13:41 PM »

That's so cute! Way better than anything I've seen in the shops...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organizing my first swap:  Go Green Quick and Easy Weekend Swap!
I.D.ten.T error

Randy Marsh, you're my hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009 08:03:17 PM »

awsome.  I want one! Smiley i too mainly sew for the smaller humans, and make toys and blankets etc.  I think it might be time i step up to the 'big' leauges.. lol thanks for the insperation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amparo1981
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009 02:21:21 AM »

Hey;

That is one cool dress. Would never have pegged it as a nursing dress; it definitely goes into my "future projects" folder for when I'll be needing one. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mizell
Give me yarn or give me death!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009 10:32:58 AM »

aww what an awesome idea! I love it! Really makes me wish i could sew better..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One year of marriage and he's still alive!!
Personal Swaps Are Go
Crafty detective swap:sending soon
Alphabet inchies: sent
Frugal swap 2: signed up
yarnies vs sewists: awaiting partners
http://www.wists.com/cmizell
Blog: everyone else has one! http://knitkitsch.blogspot.com/
shroomama
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009 08:47:31 PM »

That's fantastic, looks great!  See, this is why I wish that I'd known how to sew back in the day when I was nursing babies.  I look at pictures of that period now and I'm just aghast at the clothes I wore. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Homemade Veggie Broth
October 18, 2017 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Mix and Match Napkins

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...