A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,983
Currently Running With Scissors:
314 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A pod of plushie narwhals! - pattern/instructions on page 3!!  (Read 98067 times)
Tags for this thread: plushie , narwhal , featured_project , pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Under_the_Rose
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009 05:29:29 PM »

omgomgomgomgomg!!!! i want one!!! narwhals are one of my favorite animals!!!!

yours are the cutest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself, am Heaven and Hell
AlexJ
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009 09:41:31 PM »

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  Grin  LOVE THEM!!! WANT THEM!!  theyre amazing...seriously im massively jealous 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doaflip
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009 01:17:02 AM »

Cuuuuuuuute! I want a purple one so I can call it Leelu, like in Futurama. Narwhals are awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tumblr      Etsy     Twitter
sofee

did you see the stylish kids in the riot?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009 03:06:02 AM »

oh my god! i need one  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009 09:34:16 AM »

I love them! I've always had a soft spot for narwhals, and it's great to see I'm not alone. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
Hellz Bellz
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009 12:37:22 PM »

I think I just broke the sound barrier with my "AAAAWWWWHHHH!I want a NARWHAL!!"

This rocks!
I want to attempt to make one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would dig a thousand holes,to lie next to you...I would dig a thousand more if I needed too <3
Atheris
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009 02:21:02 PM »

OMG- these are SOOO SOO Adorable! I nearly can't stand it! I know why everyone wants one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jo Biasi
www.camofish.com
camofishus.blogspot.com
Santa Rosa, CA
project.do
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009 05:27:27 PM »

Aww, narwhals!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelcallie
Fabric Addict

It is a truth universally acknowledged . . .

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009 06:21:43 PM »

Thanks for the love, everybody!

So, there were some requests for a pattern/tutorial, so I have decided to oblige. There can never be too many narwhals out there!

Okay, so I used basic solid no-pill fleece in gray and white. You can, of course, use whatever colors you want but for the sake of these directions I'll use the colors that I chose.

So, get your white fleece and cut out this shape.

Then get your gray fleece and cut out this shape.

You're going to cut two of them over a fold so that your right sides are both the right side of the fabric. Now, when I cut mine out I do the full shape without taking out the half circle where the horn will go and the deep V for the dart in his head. I like to judge those on a case-by-case basis, but cutting them out now works just as well.

For my little narwhals, I did splatter-paint to give them a sort of dappled look. Basically I laid the gray pieces, the whale's sides, out on some newspaper with the right sides facing up. I mixed some black acrylic paint with water and then took a large-ish paint brush and starting flicking the paint solution at the fleece, concentrating on the lower part of the piece, more toward the fin, with fewer speckles up towards the top of the whale. And I didn't mix the paint too thoroughly, either, so that some drops were more paint than water, and vice versa, so there is some slight color variation in the speckles.

Okay, now the horn.

You can use one piece of fleece for this, but I wanted my narwhal's horn to be shiny so I cut one out of an iridescent lame and one out of some white broadcloth I had laying around. I used broadcloth because it would stabilize the lame and keep the fluff from being seen when I stuffed it.

Okay, so if you are using two layers of fabric, sew them together along the darker black line on the pattern there (or, you know, something like it) to hold them together (lame is a little wiley and will try to slip away if you don't baste it down). Then you are going to fold it in half laterally and sew it into a horn shape.

Once the paint on your gray pieces is dry, you are going to start to sew them together along the top line (the opposite side from the pectoral fin) with the painted sides facing in. Start at the base of the tail and go up to the dart. Then, sew the dart straight across his forehead. Sew up the space between the dart and the horn circle and then from the horn circle to the end of the topline (his upper lip, for lack of a better definition).

Now you're going to sew the belly on. Start by sewing the pectoral fins together on each side and then sew from the center of the tail fin out to meet the pectoral fin seam, remembering to leave a space on one of those sides so that you can stuff him. Now sew up his head. Turn him out from the hole you left so stuff him so now you have all your right sides out. Sew up the fins now along the dotted lines on the pattern to keep the stuffing out of them - you want them to be thin and floppy, and these little seams will keep them that way.

Now for the horn. Personally, I like to stuff the horn before attaching it, but you can do it however you like. Once the horn is stuffed, run a long strand of thread spiraling around the horn. Pull it until the spiral appears on the horn itself (use your judgment on how pronounced you want it to be) and then tie the thread off at the top of the horn. I put a teeny bit of hot glue on the top of the horn to keep the thread from pulling out. Spiral the thread back down the track it already made and tie it off at the bottom and cut the thread. Hand sew the horn into the horn circle that is still vacant on the narwhal's forehead, lining up the seam in the horn with the seam in the narwhal's face below it (just for neatness' sake).

For my narwhal's, I stuffed them first and then made the eyes out of layers of felt and hot-glued them on his face. This is because I wanted to see how the shape of the narwhal's head would turn out before I put his eyes on. But you can sew them on now, if you like. Using the end of the dart in his head as a marker is a good trick with this particular pattern.

Now stuff him! Be generous, he is a whale you know. I concentrated a lot of stuffing in the head to make sure that the horn had a lot of back up so it doesn't fall over or look melty. You can go a little thinner on his tail end so it's a bit floppy. Sew up the little gap you left using the ladder stitch and then, if you've waited until now, hot glue on the eyes. Yay! You have a narwhal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009 09:09:34 PM »

Thank you sooooooo much for the tute! This is the perfect gift for a narwhal loving Aunt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Apple Cozy
What The World Needs Now...
Meatless Monday: German Pancake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...