A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
249 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Deep in the Forest - an altered board book (6 large-ish pictures)  (Read 4079 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 16, 2009 06:21:49 PM »

I made this altered board book for my partner for round 2 of the Random Swap.  I loved everything I made, but this was the hardest to send as it was my first completed altered book (so, please be gentle!).  I found out she loves woodland creatures and trees, and one of her requested items was an altered book.  I found a forest Discovery picture book at Goodwill for 99 cents, and even though I didn't use much of it because the pictures were too large, it was great inspiration.  I wish I had better pictures.  I was seriously down to the wire on sending on time, and had to rush more than I would have liked too.  I may ask my partner to take better ones and send them, but I wanted to post it because I'm quite proud of it.

The background and the mushroom on another page are all that I used from the forest book

The owls were inspired by an ATC by alwaysinmyroom.  I am definitely going to try out more fingerprint creatures!  The little text boxes are dictionary and thesaurus entries for various forest/owl words.

More from the forest book and dictionary/thesaurus entries, plus some paper bits from my stash.

Backgrounds taken from nearly every forest story in my thrifted books stash.  The little added bits are from a Russian picture dictionary.  Sorry it's so blurry, this photo is the worst of the bunch.

This is my favorite spread.  The words say "When autumn comes... the leaves change change from lush green to fiery red and gold."  The background is painted with acrylics and the trees are made from paint chips I've been having mr. bunnyface pick up whenever he goes to the hardware store.  The pages are more shimmery from silver and gold paint IRL.

And an spread made with 26 inchies and puffy fabric paint, along with some buttons from alwaysinmyroom to replenish my diminishing stash. 

I hope you like it.  It's one of my favorite projects that I've done.  C&C or questions welcome and appreciated.  Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009 07:42:14 PM »

ohhh--I can see why you would hate to give this up, but your partner is going to love it!!

I really enjoy the little explanations of each page, and my favorite is the also the changing trees!!!  What a clever use of paint chips!

The mushroom peeking out of the top is so clever and adds dimension.

The inchies are also very cool together like that--I have not used puffy paint yet but it looks like a fun medium to use!

ha ha you did a marvelous job with your fingerprint owls--aren't they fun? I love using them for all sorts of things!

I can't wait to see future projects since this first one turned out so nicely! At least you have pictures to further inspire you!!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009 07:42:53 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 23/50
PINTEREST
372 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
bluesea777
live2craft

addicted to Art Journaling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009 07:53:47 PM »

i really like all of it,  but the owl page is my favorite. i didn't think the pictures were bad at all. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life without crafting would be like living in the dark.
teachingjonah
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009 04:09:09 AM »

That is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009 10:35:42 AM »

Thanks guys!  I was really happy with it, and I bought three or four more board books at the same time.  I definitely want to do one for us, especially since my daughter was really interested in this one (it was hard work keeping it away from her, but necessary, because she's a little bit...destructive these days).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

But can I make it out of clay?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009 01:38:49 PM »

How beautiful! You did a great job. There's no need for changes Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Obsession: Polymer Clay
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009 04:52:19 AM »

It's wonderful, and I love the theme! I think my favourite page is the "when autumn comes..." too, but they're all really lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAmadurk
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009 04:21:47 PM »

Thank you for sharing this....I kinda think I would like to try an altered book, but when I sat down with one in my hot little hands I drew a total blank as to what to do to/with it!!! Your spreads are helping my sort out what I might try.  Thanks for sharing your lovely work!!

MAmadurk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
bunnyface

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009 05:20:51 PM »

Thank you, thank you!  I can't wait to start another one.  I might do a seasons one or something, and do something similar to the "Autumn comes..." spread.  I don't know, I've got lots of ideas kicking around in my brain, and no time to put them on paper with all my Christmas stuff.

Also, I really recommend board books for altering, and there are tons of great ones posted here for inspiration.  It's not as intimidated to think of doing 10 pages, and they're nice and chunky for gluing, painting, whatever.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009 05:22:15 PM by bunnyface » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BellaKarma

What Goes Around-Comes Around-So Make it Beautiful

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009 12:32:38 PM »

I love the colors and dimension this book holds!
And the fingerprint owls are just too cool!
I would've loved to seen that Russian picture dictionary at my local thrift store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stix on the Beach: Tales From The Happiest Hooker!
www.bellakarma.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pom Pom Shades
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...