A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
146 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Retro purple tank top thing  (Read 2714 times)
Tags for this thread: top  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Jazzybelle
« on: April 21, 2005 08:46:34 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what to call this, but my inspiration was this thread:https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=31477.0

I came home from school today early and spent the next seven hours working on this shirt. There's so much technically wrong with it, and the gathering at the top was only because I didn't feel like taking it all apart and making it smaller. It's only a mock-up, though. I'm making the real thing out of purple velvet with red satin in the middle. I showed my drawing to a girl and she wanted one, sight unseen. The two things that REALLY bother me are the tabs showing at the top in the back and how BIG it is. I can barely sit down without flashing anyone! Oh, and the front of the "skirt" part is slight off.

Anyway, this fabric used to be curtains in my room. It's retro-inspired purple stripes. I love it how all the stripes wound up off-kilter. It makes it less dressy.

^^ My mom laced it and tied the bow. I retied it and now it's way, way prettier.

^^The pearl and bow are to hide the gather. The top wound up WAY too big, and I didn't want to reconstruct the entire bodice part, so I gathered it while wearing it. :-P

I'm ignoring my horrifying bad self-esteem and wearing it to school tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***I love personal swaps!***
dreamer_xoxo
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005 12:37:59 AM »

wow, that must have been a lot of work... I really like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
unsunshine_69
smarter than your average bear

oh no... she's not a secret now

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005 12:45:44 AM »

i looks cute! one thing i do with shirts that have gaping chests, is i get the teeniest little safty pins, and just take up a thread or two in the middle of the top of the shirt and pin it down to the middle of my bra. that way i can lean down without flashing everyone while still wearing big comfy shirts - perfect for summer! or get some of that no iron hem tape, and do it around the top edge of the shirt to stick it down all the way around  if you don't wear a bra with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i would be lying if i wasn't trying
Jazzybelle
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005 06:42:32 AM »

:-) Thank you both! It was a lot of hard work, and my second major sewing project. I specialize in purses, so they aren't major. And it's SO COOL when a pattern you make turns out to work! I'm just going to quit giving myself inch seam allowances when I know I'm only going to use like a quarter-inch.

And I'm wearing a strapless bra with the shirt. Since it's gathered, I won't flash anyone, but that's a REALLY good idea for the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***I love personal swaps!***
orange_smurf
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005 04:25:41 PM »

hey I have those same rubber ducky towels in my bathroom! rock on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005 08:27:07 PM »

wonderful fabric!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karmapolice
Culture Vulture

1000 feet per second.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005 04:44:16 PM »

I love love love love it!! I love the fabric choice, the design, the everything.  Might I be the first to demand a tute?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Our hell is a good life.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...