A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
154 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ok! maybe not halloween but.. Day of the Dead ofrenda  (Read 2112 times)
Tags for this thread: day_of_the_dead , dia_de_los_muertos , ofrenda  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

malisha

♫ If i ever lose my knees... i wont have 2 beg ♪

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2009 01:19:38 PM »

Hi guys!
here in mexico we celebrate Day of the Dead instead of halloween (okay we celebrate both, but in our own way)
We use to make an offering (Ofrenda in spanish) to honour our dead relatives and friends, it's said that you put the things that they liked the most (wine, food, etc) along with water, candles, day of the dead bread and sugar/chocolate skulls, because on that day, they come back to visit us.

I'm really proud to be Mexican so I celebrate all this with all my heart, and this year, my friends and I, decided to enter a prehispanic offerings contest(prehispanic offerings are a little bit different). So this is what we did. (the explanation of the ofrenda is behind the pictures if you want to read it)

the whole ofrenda

View from the front

view from one side

the drawing in the center is all made out of beans, rice, wheat and corn. ah! and marigold petals (Called Cempazuchil in mexico) It has 4 arrows, pointing to the north, south, east and west, with a circle that holds a candle each one (to light our relative's path), 4 skulls with a path in front of them (we were supposed to put a glass of water in the end of each path, to keep our relative's spirit away from evil, but we decided not to because it was in the floor and anyone could kick them).
In the center there's a drawing (also made with the seeds I wrote above) of Yum Cimil (mayan god of death)
And in the back, there are fruits, some typical cups with pulque (typical mexican alcoholic drink made out of a cactus),  other cups with atole (another typical mexican drink, kind of flavored milk but thicker), and valuable objects of the relative.

Hope you liked it, It took us about 5 hours to make. And hope you understand it.

C & c welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in mexico, I can send loads of mexican stuff ...I'd swap for crafting supplies and scrapbooking supplies (PM if interested)

"Only when the last tree has been cut, and the last fish has been killed, then mankind will understand that money can't be eaten"

http://www.wists.com/malisha
FicklePegasus

Evil, but in a good way

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009 03:57:54 PM »

It's beautiful!  You did a great job Grin  Did you win the contest?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/FicklePegasus

My Baby Cuthulu Blanket was featured on http://geekcrafts.com/
vanessow
Zombie Hunter Buys Cheese, Causes Riot

If it ain't broke - Decorate it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009 05:40:23 PM »

This is lovely!

in the first picture i thought it was a weird fiber craft, but lo and behold, it is mostly foods! I cannot imagine the patience required to do this, everything looks so perfectly planned, and I know I would have been smudging the beans, rise, wheat etc into each other
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--------------------
♣ \/ @ ŋ @ ♣
http://www.vanessow.com
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009 04:06:39 AM »

Absolutely amazing!  I hope you won the contest - just awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
MooseDeEvita
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010 07:38:18 AM »

This is so beautiful! I love how intricate and detailed it is, you must have so much patience! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014 07:51:12 PM »

Love it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...