A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
117 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Browned Butter Chocolate Chip cookies and How to brown butter  (Read 1094 times)
Tags for this thread: chocolate_chip_cookie , chocolate_chip , cookie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
obitay
« on: November 02, 2009 07:13:45 PM »

I have made these cookies a few times now, and they have replaced my 'normal' chocolate chip cookie recipe.  The browned butter adds a depth to the flavour.  

The first time I made them I burnt the butter, but no worries!  It just tasted a bit like creme brulee!!! My other favourite desset!!  I highly recommend them!  

How to brown butter:
Put your butter in a frying pan (one without a non-stick coat works best so you can see the colour change)
Turn the heat to medium, and continuously swirl the butter in the pan over the burner.  
You will see bit of it starting to turn, but how you really tell is the butter takes on a nutty aroma!  It smells delish!!!  As soon as you can smell that lovely smell and turn colour, take it off the heat.  

Note:  If it is really hot, i found that if you take it off the heat and stop swirling, it will spit hot butter!  So I take it off the heat, and keep swirling it on a cool burner until it cools just a bit  

I'd imagine you could add browned butter to any of your baking adventures, you would just need to add a bit more dry ingredients to even it out.

Obviously best with milk!  
You can find the link to the recipe here.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009 08:31:55 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crafty and Bakey Blog
http://obitayandukelay.blogspot.com
shaints
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009 07:56:58 PM »

I had never heard of browned butter, but those cookies look really tasty. Could you tell me a bit more about this browned butter? How exactly does it change the flavor?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit Craftster's English-Spanish Dictionary! ~> http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=265119.0
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009 09:05:24 AM »

They look yummy.  I need to go bake some cookies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects challenge

47/50 done
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...