A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
199 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you do for a living?  (Read 4698 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sparrowlegs
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010 06:25:32 AM »

hi, I have a market stall, I sell jewellery, crystals, tarot/oracle cards, anything a bit different really, and I have just added burp clothes and baby items and mini quilts
I am going to make some jewellery as I buy it in, my hand crafted items sell pretty well.
I also do spiritual readings too...I will never make a fortune but I am happy and my own boss  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
Pan-Gaia Designs
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010 01:57:31 PM »

Howdy.

I have a "day job" that pays the bills.  But my heart is in the work I do for me. 

Interestingly enough, it's growing - even in this dismal economy.  So, I keep hoping that I will not need to be a glorified secretary for the rest of my life and just keep on plugging. 

Whatever you decide to do, if you love it, don't give up. It's taken me years to build my own business to the level that it is, and I've learned tons from the mistakes I've made. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starwarspunk
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010 04:27:43 PM »

I am a user interface developer (more or less a web designer), meaning I design and create websites using HTML and CSS.  Basically it's a technical artsy job.  I play with Photoshop and write code. I also still have time after work for crafty activities.  Smiley

best of both worlds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MTLwordsmith
Entrepreneur, Writer and Crafter in MTL

Entrepreneur, Writer and Crafter in MTL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011 08:06:46 AM »

I'm in marketing, mainly on-line work. It's a great way to get out some creativity and still pay the bills. Crafting sometimes has to take a back seat - but when I do create something cool - at least I know how to sell it!

If you're not super-strapped for cash, tasking some time to learn blogging, and internet monitization might be a good way for you to build up a craft-related income.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the Purple Cow
-Seth Godin
Notalotaluck
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011 08:59:01 AM »

I completely understand your fears with this.  I am in the same (kind of) boat as you are.  I struggled through college trying to find out what I had a passion for and chose Interior Design.  However, 3 years into it the program at the college lost their accredidation and now it is no longer offered there.  All of my classes are useless at other colleges and I would have to start completely over.  So, I have been trying to figure out what I could do with my skills and I have been juggling with the idea of starting my own business in crafts.  I just can't even begin to figure out where to start.  I have a lot of learning to do, and I am not sure where to go to get it.  I also fear that I will not be able to make the money that I need to make in order to make it my full-time job.  But, people have suggested that I just start an Etsy store and try to sell to family and friends until I can really get into the swing of how I want my business to be and then go from there.  You just need to decide what kind of crafts you really love to do and what kind of stuff you want to sell.  After that, just perfect your arts and then begin to sell in various places.  That's if you want to go the business route.  You might also want to become a business major if you decide that you want to open your own business.  That would help you A LOT.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011 05:44:37 AM »

I have a very unusual job. I am a full time professional crafter.

I do craft shows for a living. I do about 40+ shows per year and make a decent middle class living at it. I've been doing this full time since 1994 when I walked away from my job of almost 20 years and doing craft shows on the side.

My only regret is that I didn't walk away from the corporate world earlier.

I'm one of the few people who can honestly say "I love what I do for a living!!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
diyday
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011 09:39:36 AM »

I used to be in the medical field (*yawn*). Now I run a kids craft site, and develop products for an e-store...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mmadrigal05
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011 01:48:02 PM »

I worked in pre-hospital emergency medicine for 7 years. I lost that job and decided to be a stay-at-home mom. My husband was an RN so I didn't have much to worry about. Now he's out on disability and things are very tight. Much like you and Notalotaluck I am at the very beginning of my journey as an entrepreneur and am overwhelmed by the amount of learning I need to do...all on top of continuing to care for my family and figure out ways of bringing in money. I know it's not going to be easy but I've got to start somewhere and take action. From everything I'm learning so far, Etsy is the way to go. Plus they have tons of support to help teach yourself. I've crafted with my grandmother since I was a little girl but never thought I could turn it into a business. Now the more I do and the more I learn the more confident I get about everything. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ECC
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011 10:06:33 AM »

I'm 18, a senior in high school, originally I wanted to go to college for fashion design but it's an insanely hard industry to get into, and so now I'm looking at graphic design or studio arts, and I might just start selling some of my crafts and probably random art on the side. I'm trying to get a job at a store in the mall by school, but after college I want to run a graphic design business, sell my art and crafts on the side, and someday also run a cafe ^_^;; I'm a bit odd though Cheesy

I don't think you're odd at all. I think most crafters enjoy a variety of job duties AND have a difficult time committing to just one.

I home school, create and sell craft patterns, offer numerous free craft tutorials, teach online craft classes and offer others the opportunity to teach from that site as well. And I still haven't given up on the idea of becoming a professional writer. Not much money coming in right now but I never give up on my dreams so one day I hope all of my hard work will pay off.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ECC Trish
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011 07:03:27 PM »

I'm 18, a senior in high school, originally I wanted to go to college for fashion design but it's an insanely hard industry to get into, and so now I'm looking at graphic design or studio arts, and I might just start selling some of my crafts and probably random art on the side. I'm trying to get a job at a store in the mall by school, but after college I want to run a graphic design business, sell my art and crafts on the side, and someday also run a cafe ^_^;; I'm a bit odd though Cheesy

I don't think you're odd at all. I think most crafters enjoy a variety of job duties AND have a difficult time committing to just one.

I home school, create and sell craft patterns, offer numerous free craft tutorials, teach online craft classes and offer others the opportunity to teach from that site as well. And I still haven't given up on the idea of becoming a professional writer. Not much money coming in right now but I never give up on my dreams so one day I hope all of my hard work will pay off.  Tongue

I feel so understood <3

Now, I'm an early grad who's father pretty much cut off her social life and is addicted to chainmaille Cheesy I still do all my other crafts, but my current favorite is chainmaille. <3 I made an Etsy account so I can hopefully sell some chainmaille jewelry and other crafty things I do on the side in hopes of putting a little cash towards my college tuition. I ended up getting a scholarship and a grant to a good art school that I wanted to attend, but the tuition is still really expensive, and I may need to live in student housing now, which adds extra $$$ Cry Meanwhile, I'm still basically unemployed (I do freelance art things to earn a bit of pocket cash) but I may hopefully end up with a full on yucky swing shift job soon. I'm really excited haha..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...