A year ago I offered to make something for my three-year-old godson for Christmas. There was a suggestion that he was having problems with buttons, and that the cushions in his bedroom were boring. So I came up with a design for cushion covers that would incorporate lots of flaps and buttons.
While making the first one, I discovered that I really hate sewing buttons on. So I completed only one cushion in time for last Christmas:
Each square can be folded over and fastened with a button, to reveal a different fabric:
The other two cushions have been languishing in my to-do box, not quite sewn together, ever since. But it was my godson's 4th birthday a couple of weeks ago, and I finally felt guilty enough to get them done.
And the backs (click to embiggen):
If I was doing this project again (which I won't be, because it turned out to be both difficult and time-consuming (either is fine, but not both together!)) I'd be more careful about seam allowances -- behind the scenes some of the seams are less than 1/8th of an inch due to my dodgy cutting/measuring. I'd also opt for horizontal/vertical flaps instead of diagonal, to keep the corners neat.
Still, they're all done now, and I'm pretty happy with the result.
Thanks for reading! Comments/criticisms are very welcome.