A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
248 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ungulate costume! Aka, deer, elk, caribou.. Basically I have antlers and fur.  (Read 11016 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , deer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
latenightmischief
« on: October 30, 2009 02:45:35 PM »

So I found this post https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322191.0
After making my Deer costume.. I must have craftster telepathy, cause it seems like I wasn't the only one wanting to craft a deer costume this halloween.

I originally wanted to be a skunk, but then by sheer luck stumbled upon some decorative antlers (meant to be hooks, I think) in a dollar/home decor store with some friends. They stuck them on my head as a joke, and they looked so perfect, I knew I had to be a deer. I had already bought skunk fur, so I just decided to incorporate it and become a general Ungulate (hoofed animal..). I went out last night and got such a range - deer, reindeer, caribou, elk, moose (??), and "ohhh you're from narnia, right?"  But I like it. I needed a pretty easy costume to work in this weekend.

Anyway, so I just wore all black, with black boots to be my hooves, and cut my portion of fun fur in a rectangular panel as wide as my torso, to form my fuzzy underbelly! I then just grabbed the two corners of one end and pinned it up behind my neck, so it created kind of a bunched halter, pinned it to my waist to give the panel a bit of shape, and then just let it drape and trimmed the bottom corners. I made a little tail as well.

The antlers I hot-glued between two thin, plastic headbands (the kind of cheap ones that break all the time). The antlers were flared at the base, kind of like natural antlers are, so my idea was to pin them in between the headbands, above the flare, to make them secure. I hope this is making sense. So once they were glued between the two headbands, with a very generous helping of glue, I wrapped brown ribbon around the headbands - between the antlers and down either side. I did this as tightly as possible. next I glued the ends of the headbands together and wrapped them in ribbon as well (to make it a little more comfortable for behind the ears, and to essentially created one headband). I left a considerable amount of ribbon hanging from either end so I could tie the headband to my head, like a classic fabric headband. This was an essential step, without it the antlers would fall forward if I bent over. Once tied to my head, I styled my hair by pinning the front sections back, covering up the headband and ribbon.

These pictures are from last night, when I wore it out for the first time. I think I'm going to attach some ears before I work on saturday (I work in a pub, so I'll wear my costume). Maybe that will help with all of the Narnia/Centaur references..

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009 02:48:28 PM by latenightmischief » THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥me
tape rocks my face
Twist and shout, come on bbbbaby

i like art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009 05:51:43 PM »

You are too flipping cute.

I love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maehem

.glitz and glamour.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009 06:13:32 PM »

reeealllly really cute!  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 alyssamae
kellogg
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010 04:45:25 PM »

Love it! Ad you totally scored on those antlers Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...