A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
304 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Pendants  (Read 1105 times)
Tags for this thread: pendant , fused_glass , dichroic_glass  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
joby560
« on: October 29, 2009 08:25:35 PM »

Drilling the holes in these things is not so much fun.  Anyone know of a way to do it more easily than with a Dremel?  Does it work easier with a drill press? Faster?  Or does it always take so long?

I stood the glass slices on their side and tack fused them to a base.  This pendant has a lot of depth but the photograph doesn't show it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009 08:43:20 PM »

A drill press with a diamond drill bit will do the trick. In fact, you can get an attachment piece that works with the Dremel to make it like a drill press and then you need a diamond drill bit and you are good to go. Here it is...Dremel work station http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=247825-353-5000220-01&lpage=none

I like your work by the way, great glass pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009 08:58:03 PM »

They're so pretty. I bet drilling takes a lot of muscle power. I love the third one, something about the colors pulls me in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
joby560
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009 08:58:39 PM »

Thank you Lique,
I have a diamond bit in the Dremel and do it by hand.  Does the drill press speed it up any?  Or is it right that it takes about 4 minutes or so to drill a hole?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
Lique

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009 02:06:48 PM »

Hmmm, I think the drill bit would make it go faster but 4 minutes does seem like a long time.  I use to drill holes in glass blocks and I could do one in less than 4 minutes. People who use to do it with their drill press said it went super fast. I never got a drill press so I can't compare. I do have the Dremel work station although I haven't used it yet. Undecided  Do you spritz it with water while drilling? It needs to be lubricated while drilling and that does seem to help too.  I don't know if I've been helpful or not. lol  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joby560
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009 10:20:11 PM »

Lique,
Yes, thank you.  You are helpful.  I need to try the drill press for the Dremel.  Maybe that will help?
I do put the pendant in a shallow dish with enough water to cover the pendant before drilling. That keeps the bit cool.
Maybe I am just impatient!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009 11:47:49 AM »

Ya, having it in the water is just as good. When I was drilling the blocks they are so large that putting in water was hard so I spritzed it with water often.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009 05:24:19 PM by Lique » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...