A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone ever sewn with emergency blanket material?  (Read 9842 times)
Tags for this thread: emergency_blanket , reflective , heat_reflective  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 26, 2009 04:26:24 PM »

I want to try to sew a blanket for my cat using something like this.

He's 20 year old and will only avoid sitting on my lap ANY time I sit down if it's 100+ degrees outside (therefore 85-90 degrees inside) or if I can park him in a sunbeam.  However, it's October here in the Pacific Northwest and no where near 85 degrees in the house and the sunbeams are few and far between until spring.

(even while sewing he wants on that lap)

The emergency blanket stuff supposedly reflects 80-90% of your body heat back at you. According to the packaging, it's windproof, waterproof and will not crack, mildew or shrink.  I imagine that to mean I can wash and dry it and that sewing it to some fabric won't wreck it, but would love to hear if anyone has experience sewing with it.  Plus it's $1.99 for 84" x 54".  

Last thing: will it work if sandwiched between layers of fabric?  It's not especially cozy and it's crinkly sounding.   I'd like to make it as appealing as possible to the old guy and perhaps muffle the sound a bit.  He's deaf, but I'm not.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009 04:34:48 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 84
knottie
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009 07:04:41 AM »

I haven't worked with it myself, but I found a website for one of the brand names http://www.barnworld.com/sa/cart/detail.asp?pg={130D9CA1-089B-4390-A4A6-A6FF8E654E49} that suggests it can be sewn, and suggests a light lining for bag applications, so it would seem that you can sandwich it.

If that doesn't work, I'd also suggest polar fleece--my cat LOVES my fleece blanket, to the point that I made her a little bed and blanket of her own, and it's very cozy.  I've thought of buying her a plant light, too, since she likes to lay under my husband's reading lamp; I thought it would be an artificial sunbeam for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009 10:22:24 AM »

Thanks, Knottie!

I've tried fleece, other super cozy blankets even an electric blanket!  What I bought is exactly what that first photo shows which seems quite a bit different than the other product (probably the $16 difference), but I think I'll sandwich this stuff between some fleece and something lighter and see what happens.  I like the idea of a plant light, too.  Hmmmmmmm.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009 10:33:29 AM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

TheMistressT

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009 11:42:47 AM »

I know I'm a craftster because I posted this an hour before it even occurred to me to send an email to the manufacturer of the product! They replied with answers to my 2 questions today:

Is this likely to survive machine washing and drying? Will it still reflect heat back if covered with fabric?

This blanket will most likely not survive being put through the washer and dryer.
If covered with fabric it should still reflect heat, but not to the same extent.

I'm going to do a test strip in the washer/dryer soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

soorawn
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009 12:59:17 PM »

here's a thought:
since it doesn't like machine washing, why don't you use it as "filling"?  I mean, line it with a fabric cover, so that what you wash is just the cover.  But choose a sheer material so that your cat benefits as much as possible from the properties of the blanket.
I know this theory has snags, because for example a sheer material isn't bound to last very much under a cat's close inspection and also the blanket will need regular cleaning, although hopefully not so often.  But it may help to develop some better idea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
TheMistressT

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009 01:29:33 PM »

This idea has lots of potential!  Thanks!  This guy is actually pretty easy on fabrics as he doesn't really knead anymore, just sheds (which I guess technically adds to the fabric, right?).   Tongue

I did a test run through the washer.  Mines a front loader and therefore much easier on fabrics than a top loader with agitator and I put it in a lingerie bag.  A lot of the silver wore off the plastic!  I did notice that the silver was just on one side of the plastic, however, which makes me wonder if I did sew it and sewed it with the silver side towards the fabric if it would not wash off.  Hmmmmm.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

soorawn
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009 01:59:09 PM »

But it wore off even inside of a lingerie bag...  I'd say that accounts for seeing what would happen if it's covered with fabric.

This guy is actually pretty easy on fabrics as he doesn't really knead anymore, just sheds
Then you may need to use a lawnmower regularly on it XDDD

Now that I think of it (and looking at my pressing cloth)... what about using that metallic cloth they make ironing boards covers with?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009 02:42:47 PM by soorawn - Reason: To add another idea! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009 05:22:17 AM »

What we did for our old guy was buy a "hunting seat" from the sports section of the local Walmart. It was round, about 15" across, and stuffed with the stuff that when you sit on it, the pressure creates a chemical reaction and it gets warm. Get up, it cools down again. I covered it with a fleece case (the original was ripstop in hot orange) and Tar agreed that it was a suitable substitute for a lap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009 07:46:13 AM »

You could do a heat light, infrared I think they are called.  They warm up pretty quick.  I used to have one with my Iguana and he loved it.  Could simulate a nice warm sun spot during those days when there's none available. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009 08:08:49 AM »

What we did for our old guy was buy a "hunting seat" from the sports section of the local Walmart. It was round, about 15" across, and stuffed with the stuff that when you sit on it, the pressure creates a chemical reaction and it gets warm. Get up, it cools down again. I covered it with a fleece case (the original was ripstop in hot orange) and Tar agreed that it was a suitable substitute for a lap.

I've never heard of these before.... I wonder if our Walmart has them... it doesn't get THAT cold in our part of the country, though I understand they're predicting cold THIS year (so much for global warming)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...