A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: substitute for a ribbon yarn?  (Read 1558 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
samilynn9
« on: April 19, 2005 10:05:29 AM »

Hi - I wanted to make a few patterns that call for ribbon yarn, but i was wondering if there is a reg. yarn ( like a worsted weight acrylic) that would work ok as a sub? Maybe if i held 2 strands tog. to make it thicker? Has anyone ever tried this and if so, what yarn would you say worked best? thanks~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sammy :-)
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005 12:05:04 PM »

Well, if you use something other than ribbon, the texture will be different.  You can match gauge and get something the same shape, but the feel and drape of the fabric will not be the same. 

Also, there are quite a variety of ribbon yarns (with different widths, stiffness, material) so just because something works as a sub for one doesn't mean it will for another.

but don't be afraid to experiment.  If you have some yarns leftover from other projects, try knitting up a few swatches.  See if you can get gauge with one or more yarns held together, and what the swatches feel like and how they move. 

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005 07:31:48 AM »

This doesn't get at your problem, but there's a ribbon yarn at Webs (http://www.yarn.com) in their closeout section called Casablanca that I am totally in love with.  I liked it so much, I ordered a second bag in a different color.  It's slippery, very slippery, so I have to figure out what kind of needles to use with it (I'm thinking circs would help too, to prevent the stitches from slipping off). 

You get about 1100 m for $40, or $32 if you buy enough to get their 20% discount (I think that's the price).

Carie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...