A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
133 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Once a sin, is new again! ~ My bike~  (Read 7911 times)
Tags for this thread: bike  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
anafelix
« on: October 12, 2009 04:21:57 PM »

Original rust covered bike
    My mom bought this at an auction for me in June. I started working on it towards the end of June. And my goal was to get the bike completely finished and assembled by mid-July. Unfortunately the bike kinda turned into a huge money pit. I figured out that it cost me almost 80 dollars and a new bike at Walmart is $85. But nobody will ever have one exactly the same and that is worth more than all the money I spent so I'm not that bitter about it.
     The bike was seriously rusty and the tires were rotten. I assume the bike had just been left outside for several years. The chain was my biggest issue though because I couldn't get it off and actually broke the chain tools from Walmart trying to remove it. I finally got it off when someone loaned me this awesome vintage one. And then when I went to put a new chain on, the local stores only had like 2 to choose from. And neither fit, so I had to go an hour away to get one.

Sanded and primed, drying.

I got everything sanded in like 3 days and it only took about a week to prime and paint it, waiting for it to dry in between each coat and taping everything. But the biggest delay was assembling it. I realized when I went to put it together that I had no idea how I took it apart. And that the bolts and things were rusty and I should replace them. So I got a little overwhelmed. But then the guy who loaned me the vintage chain tool helped me reassemble it this week. And I'm so excited! I just wish I would have gotten it done before fall, cuz now it's always raining.

Finished! Also, you can't see it but I painted the inside of the fenders and the open side of the chain guard dark purple.
          Sorry for rambling on, I'm just so estatic that it's finally done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009 04:31:33 PM »

Great job on the restoration of your fabulous bike!!  I think its a thousand times better than what you would get for the same $$ at WalMart Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
NH822
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009 04:48:34 PM »

this is awesome!  I want a bike like this!  great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
-Elizabeth Taylor
mombat
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009 05:28:43 PM »

Oh, Ahh! Looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KidWithKemikals
Monisaurus the Crafty Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009 05:40:09 PM »

I LOVE this bike
this is seriously my favourite style of bike and Im planning to get one in the near future. I love the yellow you used it definitely makes a statment. I hope it was worth the wait to put it together
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make Love - Not Horcruxes
RuneAriala
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009 05:58:22 PM »

Awesome job.  I understand the work that goes into painting bike parts.  Also, for future reference, most bike shops will let you use their really good awesome tools for free, so stop buying crappy Wal-Mart tools to use on your awesome bike!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Asheri
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009 07:37:57 PM »

I agree that that bike is better than any old walmart bike!
That bike has class.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anafelix
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009 08:26:16 PM »

Thanks for letting me know about bike shops and their tools! Unfortunately, I live about 60 miles from the closest bike shop and unless something major comes up, I can't really see dragging my bike up in there in the car.
Thanks everyone, I seriously love this bike!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009 06:47:58 AM »

Got some irresistible bike infatuation going on here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009 09:21:32 AM »

wowee!! that is way better than any bike you could have bought for $85 (cause if it was anything like the tools it just would have fallen apart anyways, lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...