A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
232 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday- Oct 9, 2009  (Read 8553 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009 05:26:01 PM »

Very nice Mac!

Ever thought about taking fiber from fleece to yarn?  I'm in the mood for trading and picked out a bunch of fiber to destash.  It's all either raw or scoured, but that is the extent of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
spareGus
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009 05:52:22 PM »

These are my first!  I've had my drop spindle for over a year and finally got the courage to try it out...so, they may not look like much but I am super proud  Smiley

These are my first two spins with my practice fiber.  They are about 10 yards each I think.  Very overspun in lots of places, but, still, I am learning, and I happen to like bits of overspun so it kind of works out.

And this is my first plied yarn, about 20 yards.  Much thanks to mullerslanefarm for helping me with my new person questions last night!

So, not much to look at, but I love it and so far this has been the most relaxing thing I've done in a long time!  All I have to do is figure out how to get more fiber and practice, practice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009 06:28:52 PM »

Gus, we're here to corrup ... er... Help you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
ysmeine
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009 06:47:18 PM »

Lovely yarns everyone.

I have been busy crocheting and knitting yarn, so I haven't had alot to show. Here are a few.
One ounce of mill ends in a muted pink

2.5 oz spun and 2.5 oz prepped dark seas, Wool mill ends, mohair, and icicle shimmer

a couple fibers from a swap, from a yellow silk hankie and a brown wool roving. Just small bits.

2.5 oz suri alpaca/bamboo blend. This was a little challenging for my drop spindle, it kept wanting to fall apart. I did use this in my daughters' hat and am working on mittens to match. https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=323839.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kelly
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009 06:51:15 PM »

Does anyone else squeal in delight when they see Fibre Fridays starting with a post from jazzturtle?  Yikes.  I'm in awe of your yarns.  Gorgeous!!

I know what corespinning is, but I don't know what tailspinning is.  Anyone?

Here  is my offering this week.  I'm actually using techniques from 'Spin Control' and was success with a backwards long draw.  Prior to this my yarns were always spun in a short forward draw and usually ended up being spun tightly.  I'm happy with this new to me technique.  I'm  not real consistent, mind you.  But I love the results so far.

Its thick and think, about 160 yards called 'Breakwater'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

macnatalie
We're not going to Guam, are we?

Until there are none, adopt one.

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009 07:21:41 PM »

I love Breakwater!
The colours are gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar.
----
Check out my personal website. http://vv.carleton.ca/~natalie
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009 08:57:10 PM »

I love everything!

I just discovered spinning, here are my 1st-3rd attempts on a drop spindle:

Part of the skein fell apart and I had to needlefelt it back together   Undecided

And some batts:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

silverstah
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009 03:25:31 PM »

Forest Floor - ~60 yds, 2-ply merino. I usually don't like spinning merino... and this didn't change my mind. Wink I do like the finished yarn, though!

Esmeralda's Flame - ~450 yards. 2-ply yarn - one ply in romeny, the other in mohair. This is one of my favorite yarns I've spun to date!

Phat Fiber - ~60 yards, done from various bits from the Phat Fiber Sampler Box in coordinating colors.

Smoky Sapphires - ~220 yards, 2-ply yarn. One ply in natural, undyed grey mohair. Second ply in purple merino/silk blend.

Mardi Gras - ~65 yards domestic wool. 2-ply

Scrappy Jeans - ~175 yds mixed fibers, 2 ply. Solid navy blue is local dyed corriedale. Multicolored ply is random bits of silk, wool, mohair, and milk fiber leftover from other spinning projects.

Strawberry Milk - ~120 yards, 2 ply. One ply is undyed fawn alpaca, other ply is brightly dyed pink milk fiber.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://feelingsheepish.etsy.com - Hand painted and dyed rovings for spinning
http://www.silverstah.com - Historical and Fantasy Clothing
http://silverstah.blogspot.com - Law school, sewing, married life, and general gabbing about life
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009 11:10:18 PM »

Wow Jazzturtle, your yarns are so beautiful! You can almost just hang them all up on the wall as pieces of art, I love looking at their intricacies, colours, and randomness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knkurz
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009 11:18:59 PM »

Oooh, silverstah, you've got some rockin' stuff going on this week!

Here's the (meager) offering I have.  Somehow I didn't get a picture of the 2-ply I did and I'm too lazy to go take one ATM.  It's the "good" yarn this week.

So, the dyeing I did (my apologies for the pictures - I asked the SO to take pictures for me and I forgot that his idea of good pictures are ones where you can only see the whole thing, and I spun it up before I remembered to check):

This is the first batt I dyed.  I hated it at first, and I had intended to dye up the other batt the same way but then I didn't like it at all.  So then I dyed the second batt in complementary colors, intending to ply them:

Hoorah, mission achieved, right?  Well, then I spun up the first one thick and thin (it felted a bit in the dyeing process Sad ) and I got this GORGEOUS thing out of it:

And now I'm knitting it into a scarf for my sister, who loves all things pink.  It's striping itself although I didn't spin it with that in mind at ALL.  It's also got too much twist since I spun it with plying in mind, so the scarf is slanting to the right like mad Smiley

I'm going to (probably) get a drum carder tomorrow!!!  And, I placed an order from SSS Cheesy Fibery fantasticness on its way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...