A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,820
Currently Running With Scissors:
204 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Self-Published Book  (Read 4554 times)
Tags for this thread: book_binding , book , printed , self_published , essay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Samanpka
« on: October 06, 2009 11:21:38 AM »

I've just finished my hand-bound, self-published book, after many arduous days and hours. I wrote an essay of appx. 14,000 words over the summer and wanted to print it into book form for the novelty factor. For the page formatting and printing, I used this tutorial: http://forum.threadbanger.com/showthread.php?t=7140
The tutorial was immensely helpful, indispensable even, but the text formatting still took me much longer than the rest of the project (except for the research and writing of course). I was going to make a hardback cover out of illustration board covered with fake leather, but hunting down the materials was too much of a pain in my small town. I ended up buying an A6 notebook, cutting out the paper, painting the cover, and binding my pages inside of it. I used acrylic paint for the cover, which I don't recommend because it has a tacky feel to it even though it has dried completely. Next time I will try covering a similar A6 notebook with paper or thin fabric.

Marbled endpapers:

Sample chapter heading:

Thanks for looking! There are more pictures on my blog post: http://samanpka.blogspot.com/2009/10/i-wrote-book.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009 12:14:33 PM »

Wow, that looks fantastic...

Is there anything else holding the pages in, other than the marbled end pages?  Is it strong?

Great job, the chapter heading looks lovely too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calentine
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009 12:17:20 PM »

Sigh.  This is wonderful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Samanpka
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009 12:27:02 PM »

Thanks guys! To answer your question, no, the endpages aren't all that's holding it together. I bound all the plain (white) pages together using the coptic stitch. I didn't bother adding tapes or any fancy things because it was my first time binding anything. After binding the pages, I glued a couple strips of paper over the stitches, to make a kind of spine. onto this I glued a square of fabric, which I believe is called a mull. I think the mull is usually stitched in with the binding to make the whole thing more sturdy. Anyways, to attach the pages to the cover I first glued the mull onto the inside covers, then I glued down the first and last pages of my book. I glued the endpages on top of the originally white endpages. So there are 3 things holding the pages onto the cover. Hope that answered your question clearly enough! It seems like everyone has their own slightly different way of binding, I basically just looked at a few youtube videos and combined the various techniques I saw in them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lelemonade

Ain't no rest for the wicked...!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009 11:26:58 PM »

Wow, congrats on writing a whole book Cheesy and basically bringing it to life. This ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Minimummy

Taking it one WIP at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009 12:22:13 PM »

That's fantastic, you should be so proud! Just out of curiosity, have you published the book online anywhere? The topic seems quite interesting to me, would be keen to get my nose into it! (There are sites where you can publish online for free and keep the profits!) Just in case you weren't aware.
Either way...I'm a fan!

Mini x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://www.mothering-heights.net

Can't wait for winter to reappear!
sliverwick
The Carny Boss

The Carny Boss at sliverwick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009 02:26:59 PM »

I would have loved to finish a semester by handing my teacher, not a stack of stapled print-out, but one of these.  It's a great idea and it's very professional-looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samanpka
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009 12:12:27 PM »

Minimummy,

Wow, I can't believe anyone would want to read this! No offense, I'm touched really, but all my friends just said "cool book..." and then put it down after reading the title page. I haven't published it, but I'm revising a much shorter version of it to submit for publication sometime soon. If you're interested in the topic though, I'd recommend Bernard Bachrach's book Early Medieval Jewish Policy (chapter 1 is on the Visigothic kingdom), and Roger Collins's Early Medieval Spain (there's a chapter on it somewhere in there). If you like primary authors, there's Julian of Toledo's Historia Wambae. And lastly, if you're into illuminated manuscripts, the (somewhat unrelated) manuscript the book's pictures came from is called the Albedense Codex, a lot of which can be viewed online. It has a number of cool drawings. Happy nerdy reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Minimummy

Taking it one WIP at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009 12:39:36 PM »

I'm a big fan of Spanish history as I live in Spain so it's kind of become more of an issue for me to learn and it's just one of those things that fascinated me from the word go Smiley
Thanks for the heads up on similar books, will definitely have a look at those!
Oh and I'm soooo following your blog Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://www.mothering-heights.net

Can't wait for winter to reappear!
uluru
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009 12:30:45 PM »

it was my first time binding anything
I bow in awe! So neat and perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY WISTS: http://www.wists.com/uluru

WEB DEISGN PORTFOLIO: www.mariewilkins.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dessert Tray
October 9, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...