A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
168 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sunburn Remedies!!!  (Read 3722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005 08:55:51 PM »

I'm very fair, and never tan, only burn Sad  I use SPF 45 reguarly, but if you do get burned, i totally recomend BananaBoat Sooth-A-Caine Spray Gel. Its blue, and has a red top. Its awesome....it has lidocaine in it, so it numbs the burn. If you put it in the fridge, it feels even better.  Plus, you won't peel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
kelimom
I spend WAY too much time on the computer...

NEXT!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005 09:10:59 PM »

Whenever I got a bad sunburn when I was little, my Grandma would slather on some Noxema and rub it in well and leave it on.... helped cool it down, and also helped it not to peel as much later on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LisaMarie
happify
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005 09:42:15 PM »

My father and I are two more very-fair-don't-tan people, and he's always emphasized covering up, even over sunscreen.  While I think the lawrence of arabia towel-under-hat and long-sleeve-shirts-all-summer look works for him, I tend to bare a bit more skin and slather on SPF 45+ (anything less doesn't work).  My last burn of note was the day I arrived in London -- jet-lagged old me never thought that sunburns could even OCCUR in England! 

I tend to treat any sunburn with aloe vera (or the gel) at night, and then lather up with sunscreen a couple of times a day until it's gone.  My worry about the sunburns is the cancer (and sunspots and wrinkles -- vain old me), and I read some study once that suggested that people with melanoma who used sunscreen actually saw a decrease in the cancerous cells, etc.  I figure it must do something if applied right after the burn, too, then.  At the very least, it's a nice lotion.

I'm looking forward to seeing some styling cover-ups! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005 10:12:05 PM »

floridian here too, i use an spf 65 and have this after burn gel i got at a walgreens, it's blue and it's called aloe vera with lidocaine or something to that effect.   if i spend the day at the beach i apply the spf 65 twice while i'm there and after i've gone home and showered, put on the after burn gel.  i've learned from some very painfull experiences that sunburns tend to finish setting a couple hours later, so even if you don't think you're burnt, slather on some gel anyway, and it'll will knock out most of the burn before it actually starts to burn.  i think it helps my red turn tan faster and reduces some of my peeling too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005 11:53:00 PM »

Ok, I'm from New Zealand which is probably the sunburn capital of the world because of our clear skies.  I have tried *everything*.

One thing that really works is cold tea. Brew up lots of tea and put it in the fridge.  Soak a flannel in it and lay it on your sunburn.  Unfortunately you do have to wait for the tea to go cold.

Aloe straight from the plant is of course also very good if you have it!  Aloe plants are great, they keep having babies so you can populate your whole garden with them!  Or buy an aloe gel that is at least 97% aloe.

But please, please stay out of the sun.  My godmother died of skin cancer.  A tan isn't even fashionable any more.  If you have to, use fake tan.  Summer hats and coverups (think sheer ponchos, floaty sarongs, etc etc) are the way to go!

Oh, also make sure you buy fresh sunscreen every summer.  Even if it's not past the expiry date, if it's over a year old throw it out and start again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
unsunshine_69
smarter than your average bear

oh no... she's not a secret now

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005 01:24:03 AM »

i don't know what it's called in the us, but in canada there's a product thats either a spray or a lotion called solarcane with lidocane. it recommend keeping it in the fridge, i have never had relief like this before, chilled aloe leaves were the next best thing. but this stuff... ahhh... if you keep it chilled it'll go on cold, and then numb the whole area and leave it tingly. the spray goes all crazy bubbly and is fun to watch too. i use that before bed and then usually applied aloe in the morning so my skin wouldn't go all crackly. all i can say is use an aloe or vitamin e based after sun gel, or natural aloe on it ALL THE TIME... even in the bathroom at school, and that should help keep it from getting all peely, and the swelling will go down as long as you stay out of the sun and the heat. also, stay away from man made fibers, cotton is your best friend right now! and if your sunscreen isn't cutting it, try using a high spf spray sunscreen, and make sure you spray it everywhere! i find it works better than the normal lotion because i can get it into all of the hard to reach places, and it gets absorbed into the skin really quickly. that way your poor earlobs won't get burnt, and you won't get those weird burn lines from where you skimped on the sunscreen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i would be lying if i wasn't trying
Starsview
Queen of Procrastination

I've been meaning to make myself a crown...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2005 07:46:13 PM »

I'm a Florida kid as well... I once participatedin a sunscreen study to test out the kids Coppertone Lotion that goes on purple so you can see where you put it, $50 and swimming and playing all day for a 10yr old is amazing Wink

Anyways... Enough of my nostalgia... In order for suntan lotion to be most effective it has to soak into your skin for about half an hour before you go out in the sun. I'm really fair skinned and I can tell you this definitly makes a difference. I've also just recently started using No-Ad Tan Extender and it seems to do the trick as long as I keep applying it regularly. It has Aloe, Vitamin E, Collagen and Cocoa Butter among other things in it.

Good Luck this summer everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterestportfolioetsy
macaulkv
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005 03:47:40 AM »

Whenever I got a bad sunburn when I was little, my Grandma would slather on some Noxema and rub it in well and leave it on.... helped cool it down, and also helped it not to peel as much later on.

i second that. since we're all fair-skinned in my family we also had an aloe plant in our front yard for just such purposes. that stuff is ice-cold on a burn and is the perfect remedy (though noxema travels better). i love it better than the processed aloe gel in the stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cutewhenyouscream
cocaine girly.

art school girl baby.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005 02:21:39 PM »

i was camping once and camp home with one of the hugest sun burn on my back. you might not like this but my mom slaped on some yogurt. yup, yogurt. she put it all on my back and made me wear a big nasty shirt and i went to bed. when i woke up i smelted like yogurt but took a shower and the burn went down INSANLY. god bless yogurt Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

insomniac.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...