A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
164 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tried and true recipes....for kids?? HELP!? Please? :)  (Read 2388 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Chocolate_Jo

Can I have some fishy crackers?

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2009 01:48:32 PM »

Hi everybody ;)
So my mom recently gave me the job of making supper a few nights a week, which I really enjoy. Unnnfooortunately, I've pretty much made the same basic recipes over and over again, and am a tad bit afraid to try something 'out there' because my three brothers aren't really the most...accepting...of different types of food. In a shorter way, they can be hard to cook for sometimes.

SO.

I was wondering (and you have NO idea, this would be soo appreciated) if anyone had any recipes they wouldn't mind sharing that they have made/tried before that their kids (or younger people in general) liked. It can be anything, seriously. I'm just extremely inept in the meal planning area....so....

thank you guys SO. MUCH. :)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009 03:07:15 PM »

I have two little ones (8 and 3) and one of their favorites is Burger Biscuits.

You need:

2 cans large refridgerated biscuits (We prefer Grands Original. Avoid the honey butter ones since they don't taste good at all!)

1 1/2 -2 cups precooked,preseasoned hamburger meat (We do pepper, salt, garlic and onion for generic dishes. Prepackaged Taco seasoning or grill seasonings work as well.)

cheese of choice, sliced or shredded works best.

Preheat oven according to biscuit directions. Preheat the hamburger meat, at least above room temp. (We do large batches of hamburger at once and then portion them out into meal sizes in ziploc bags. Throw them in the freezer for future use. Don't pass up a sale on hamburger! ) Flatten out a biscuit dough on a plate. You may need to wet your fingers so the dough won't stick. Place a couple tablespoons of meat and top with a bit of sheet. Fold the edges of the dough over meat/cheese mixture. Do the same to the other biscuits. Place on a cookie sheet and bake according to biscuit directions.

**If your meat is cold going into the oven, the biscuits may not cook through.**

This recipe also works well if you have left over cooked chicken. Just dice it up and substitute for the hamburger. It doesn't affect the cook time.

We usually do a side salad with this and offer either ketchup or Ranch for dippage. Smiley

How about Bagel pizzas?

We usually have pepperoni and shredded cheese on hand. Watch the grocery for Buy One, Get One Free sales on bagels. When it goes on sale, it's a bagel pizza night!

You will neeed

1-2 bags of plain bagels (onion or everything bagels would work too)

1 jar spaghetti sauce
Assorted toppings like sliced pepperoni, prepared hamburger (like above recipe), leftover cooked chicken, chopped ham, sliced olives, mushrooms, pineapple chunks, the possibilities are endless!

Shredded cheese - We use a mix of cheddar and mozzarella.

Toast the bagels. (This is important because it keeps the sauce from simply sogging out the bagel!) After they have cooled and are ready to be handled, add sauce, toppings, and cheese. Bake at 350 on a cookie sheet until the cheese is golden and bubbly.

My favorite version of this is a White pizza bagel. It's Alfredo sauce (instead of sketti sauce), mushrooms slices, chicken and mozarella sauce.

When we do these, we create a "pizza bar" and everyone gets to make two of their own. My kids love this! It also only takes one sleeve of bagels for the 4 of us, with 2 leftover pizzas for lunch packing goodness the next day! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009 03:36:10 PM »

AWESOME topic..I HATE when I get in a rut..seems like groundhog day..

my kids like shepards pie..strangely enough they both eat it(11yo & 5yo)

also they make their own pizzas on Friday nights sometimes calzones too Smiley

taco nights go over well too-just not too spicy meat

soup goes over awesomely in our house.Now that the weather is getting cooler we'll eat alot of that..

cant wait to see what other people post too..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009 01:47:43 AM »

pasta always went down well in our house, bolognaise, carbonara, home made mac'n'cheese (with some bacon in it, yum), fish pie, mince and dumplings, stew and soups (you'd be amazed at what you can get fussy eaters to eat if it's hidden in a soup or sauce) bangers and mash, roast dinner (it takes some prep but it's a good hearty meal)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009 04:43:53 AM »

Selnith, what is fish pie? Bangers n mash didn't throw me, but the fish pie did. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009 08:46:19 AM »

Fish pie is a mixture of fish (plus prawns if you like) in a creamy sauce, topped with mashed potato

a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstal recipe for fish pie

Ingredients

2 fillets of any firm white fish, such as pollack, cod or haddock (about 600g/1lb 5oz in total)
1 small fillet of undyed smoked haddock (about 175g/6oz)
750ml/1 pints milk
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 large carrot, roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
1 bay leaf
bunch fresh parsley
a few peppercorns
1kg/2lb 4oz floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper or Desire
125g/4oz butter, plus extra to grease the dish and dot on top of the pie
75g/2oz plain flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 handfuls cooked peeled prawns
buttered minted peas, to serve
crusty bread, to serve
Method

1. Place the fillets of fish in a medium saucepan. Add the milk, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, a couple of stalks of parsley and the peppercorns.
2. Place the pan on a low heat and let the milk heat up gently. As soon as it comes to a simmer, switch off the heat and cover the pan. The fish will continue cooking in the hot milk.
3. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes, cut them into even, bite-sized chunks and put them in a large pan. Add just enough water to cover and put the pan on the hob over a high heat. Add a teaspoon of salt and let the water come to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook the potatoes until they are just tender.
4. Carefully drain the potatoes and allow them to cool in a colander for a minute or two. Return them to the pan and mash them, adding 50g/2oz of the butter, cut into cubes.
5. Stand a sieve over a large jug and tip in the fish and milk mixture. Wash the pan in which the fish was cooked and dry it well.
6. Add 3-4 tablespoons of the fishy milk to the mash and stir it in well. Add some freshly ground black pepper, taste the mash, and add some salt if you think it needs it. Put the mash to one side.
7. Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
8. To make the bchamel sauce, put the remaining 75g/2oz butter in the clean pan and melt it over a low to medium heat. Add the flour and stir well with a wooden spoon to make a roux. Cook for two minutes, stirring every few seconds. Then gently whisk in one third of the hot fishy milk. The paste will quickly turn into a very thick sauce. Add another third of the milk, whisking all the time, and then the final third, so you end up with a creamy sauce. Season the bchamel with salt and freshly ground black pepper, turn the heat down to very low, and let the sauce bubble gently for five minutes while you prepare the fish.
9. Remove the vegetables, herbs and peppercorns from the fish and discard. Carefully pick up a chunk of fish. Peel off any skin and discard, then gently feel the flesh between your fingers for bones, being careful not to over-shred the fish. Put the boneless fish on a clean plate.
10. Turn off the heat under the bchamel and add the fish to the sauce. Add the prawns, then chop the remaining parsley and stir this in too. Taste the sauce once more and add more seasoning, to taste.
11. Generously butter a pie dish and pour in the fishy bchamel. Spoon over the mash and spread it carefully across the surface of the fish sauce. Dot a little extra butter over the top of the pie.
12. Wearing oven gloves, put the pie in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until the top is starting to brown and the fishy sauce is bubbling up the sides of the mash.
13. Serve with buttered minted peas and crusty bread to mop up the sauce.

obviously you can swap things around to suit you, mam usually put salmon in when she's doing one too
mam always boils some eggs, cuts them into quarters (lengthwise) and pops them in before putting the mash on too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Chocolate_Jo

Can I have some fishy crackers?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009 09:40:19 AM »

Ahh thank you so much guys!! I want to try all of these, and I'll tell you how they come out!!

gracias gracias!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009 12:34:48 PM »

check out this guy http://www.samstern.co.uk/ my daughter is 14 (she is cheekymonkey4646 on here ) and becuase I get home late a couple of nights she has to cook, she occasionally uses his book, he has some recipes online too.

She made a variation on pasta puttanesca tonight, it was fabulous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with yo
Gette13
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009 12:42:09 PM »

Last minute meal ideas for kids?  BREAKFASTS.  My boys will pretty much eat everything (I'm in fact worried about the utensils and dishes these days ... strapping HUNGRY lads of 12 and 14 playing football and Dangerous Biking and skateboarding ... funny how suddenly nothing tastes YUCKY ...). 

BUT - they help out, and will start meals with EGGS.  For dinner, we will eat:
Peach Pancakes (if I have peaches - or frozen blueberries, whatever is on hand)
French Toast
Omelettes with onions, green peppers, leftover lunch meat or ANY meat - and of course lots of cheese.  They make their own - which is nice, because if they WERE fussy, they can pick and choose.

Also ...
Nachoes are a hit - sometimes I'll do up the meat the night before. 
Soups - but let them ADD things.  One of our favourites is called 'Chowder'.  Mushroom soup, but we add cheddar and tuna and eat with fresh bread.
Veggie soup, but we add more veggies, beans, noodles.  Whatever is on hand. 

Single-Mom-ism is hard on the budget, but one wonderful advantage is a Teen and Pre-Teen who know how to cook.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be bold.  If you are going to make an error, make a doozy, and don't be afraid to hit the ball."  Billie Jean King
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

lettucecraft.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009 11:04:08 AM »

My kids (8 and 5) both love breakfast for dinner, pancakes and bacon.  Oven fried chicken and baked mac & cheese, homemade pizza that they get to help make, and shredded beef tacos with homemade shells.  I get a lot of kid friendly recipes from Kraft and Betty Crockers websites. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Facebook

Please join us at lettucecraft.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...