A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
185 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Our science geeky wedding :) Lengthy Post  (Read 38976 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , science , geek , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
LinzSerena
« on: September 28, 2009 04:01:33 PM »

I finally have some pics to show from my 8-16-09 wedding. It turned out so beautifully. If I had more free time during the planning process, I might have crafted some more, but it turned out a-okay. Smiley  

Basically, we wanted a science geeky wedding. My husband is a scientist (HIV researcher) and a chemistry professor. I'm a nurse and in school finishing my graduate degree to become a family nurse practitioner (graduating May 2010 - woot!!!). Therefore, I'm ridiculously busy and not really able to play with wedding planning stuff. I planned a little during my winter semester break and then left it up to my husband (and boy did he take over!) Smiley  

So here's a load of pictures..

Here's us! Awww...

So this next one is not technically a craft, but it is an art. I have danced ballroom for about 10 years and wanted more than anything to have a choreographed first dance. Problem is, my husband is a hockey-playing, 2-left-feet, kind of guy. Well he took lessons from my dance partner and practiced like it was the Olympics and we pulled off a choreographed foxtrot to the song Fly Me To The Moon.

My bridesmaids and I made the flowers for the wedding. Corsages, boutonniere and bouquets for all (I forget what the total was but it was a lot of flowers)! I highly recommend making your own corsages they are so easy that its worth it in saving money. We bought all of the flowers the morning before the wedding from 2 supermarkets. We just walked in, bought two big buckets and filled them with flowers (and booze we were amazed that they sold alcohol in the supermarkets in CT)

Grooms boutonniere:

My bouquet was quite a bit harder, but it turned out exactly as I had imagined:

During our ceremony, we had a wine ceremony (instead of a unity candle). We combined a red wine from CT (his home state) with a white wine from MD (my home state) into these a carafe from which we then served each other wine. We bought the carafes and wine goblets from the dollar store and etched them using that puffy paint and etching cream technique a few people have used on here. We gave one carafe to each mother and kept the one with our initials. Our cups have a cursive B or L and the date 8 <3 16 <3 09.

As we walked out after our ceremony, the recessional song was mixed by my little brother. The song started out as Henry Purcell's Trumpet Tune and then switched to the main theme song to Indiana Jones. Let the adventure begin!

We did E-Save-the-dates (to Save-a-tree and Save-some-green) Smiley We sent out emails with a link to our wedding website, which we kept pretty updated.

http://www.mywedding.com/barryandlindsey/

Our wedding invitations:  Just altered from a kit. Used a different bow, different font and added a DNA double helix to the bottom

Our wedding programs: We used another kit, added the extra bows from the invitations and had a mix of white and blue bows.

Our welcome sign: Gosh I wish I could find pictures of our table numbers. Our table numbers were so clever. We named each table after a famous nurse or scientist, had a picture and mini profile for that person and then on the back of each table number was a trivial pursuit card filled with nerdy topics about us and our interests. You got to trust me, they really turned out awesome. I have the template for the trivial pursuit cards for those that are interested.
Anyways, here is our welcome sign it looks kinda like our table numbers, just less clever.

Our centerpieces were Erlenmeyer flasks filled with clear marbles and wildflowers arranged by the grooms mother. She put so much effort into these and they just turned out better than I could have imagined.

Our favors were glass test tubes filled with blue and white personalized M&Ms. We made mailing labels on vistaprint that had our name, date & a molecule that spelled out our last name & stuck that label on the side.
Also on the tables were little scrolls with explanations of the Polish traditions in the ceremony & reception (My mother is Polish)

For the wedding, my mother made me my chzpek (which I dont have a great picture of), the apron for the maly taniec (small dance), the baby necklace (I got 2 girls & 2 boys in line for me) and the funny hat for the groom.
Heres his hat:

Our guest book was a photo album made on shutterfly of a bunch of our favorite engagement pics. Our guests signed around the pictures & it turned out so beautifully.

Finally, our rings
As you know from my previous post, our rings were made by two artisans on etsy. Barrys ring was a meteorite inlaid into a white gold band. I really struggled to find a ring that would complement his and still look feminine (and match my engagement ring). Finally, we decided on a white gold band inlaid with some diamonds about 3/4 of the way around the band. At the bookends of the diamond rows were two carbonados, which have been alleged to have been formed in the midst of supernovas. I ended up contacting the leading expert in carbonados (and read his publications), who referred me to a dealer in NYC that sold me some carbonados and shipped them to the jewelry maker in Los Angeles. Anyways, I LOVE how the rings turned out they are so unique and meaningful. This is the best pic that I have of both of them though:

So thats it! That was our geeky wedding! Im sure Im forgetting something, so Ill try to add stuff as I remember. Thank goodness my husband had a hidden crafty side, otherwise none of this would have been done!
I had a wonderful time, but Im loving married life even more than engaged life Wink

Comments/Questions?

Thanks for looking (and making it to the bottom of the post!)

***Edit: (found pics of the table numbers) 9/29/2009
Table numbers; famous nurses & famous scientists with a trivial pursuit card stuck to the back of it Smiley

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009 06:15:17 PM by LinzSerena » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lindsey
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Be open to learning new lessons even if they contradict the lessons you learned yesterday."
- Ellen Degeneres
---------------------------------------------
"All great achievements require time" ~Maya Angelou
nicolatte
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009 04:18:23 PM »

Everything looks beautiful, congrats!!! Kiss Those test tube favors are CUTE by the way! Never seen that before!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all of my jewelry : www.ShiningIsFree.etsy.com
celticgoddess

Extinction is forever

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009 04:20:57 PM »

Everything looks so pretty! Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was on the moon at the time.....with Steve.

http://www.wists.com/celticgoddess

http://pinterest.com/lovezombie/
InebriatedKnitting
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009 04:28:37 PM »

Your wedding looks so beautiful!  I love that you did your own flowers, and I love love love the scientific theme Smiley  The rings are gorgeous and so beautifully unique!

I'm intrigued by the Polish traditions...I'm 1/4 Polish but haven't heard of any traditions.

Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009 07:04:58 PM »

The science theme is so genius Smiley I adore your centrepieces & the favours - but then I also love everything else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Tygermane
Addicted to crafting

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009 07:18:10 PM »

Everything for your wedding was beautiful!!  Some day, when I get married, I hope to make a lot of things for it. Smiley  But everything turned out BEAUTIFUL!!!  And you 2 make an adorable couple <3  Congradulations!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009 12:03:55 AM »

Your wedding looks beautiful. Congratulations! But the real reason that I'm commenting is the adorable chinese crested pictured in your icon. I love me some adorable naked puppies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GiddyUpMunky

Double stuffed baby!

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009 03:26:19 PM »

I loooove your wedding. My boyfriend and I are talking about our wedding and we are such geeks, we've been trying to figure out ways to have our geeky side and still be traditional. I think you managed it perfectly! I would love to see the templates for the trivial pursuit cards too. Awesome wedding, and you looked beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LinzSerena
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009 06:33:57 PM »

Thank you all of the kind comments!! I really did have a lovely time & I'm glad all the annoying little details came together & made a noticeable difference Smiley

So the trivial pursuit cards I did in Word documents. I used clear text boxes to place the wording. I printed them out onto photo paper b/c it was thick and then glued the two sides together (I used some of this sticky scrapbooking tape that rocked!)
I then used photo corners to stick the cards to the back of the table numbers.
If you send me a message w/ your email address, I can send you the doc template.

--->InebriatedKnitting
Lots and lots of Polish wedding traditions. I excluded quite a few, since some just were too old fashioned for us.

--->ragadyanne400 
That beautiful naked doggy is my Chinese Crested, Xia. We are actually in the process of adopting another Chinese Crested Smiley I'll post pics of them both at some point. Once I get time (read: school is over), I want to have a Chinese Crested craft swap Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lindsey
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Be open to learning new lessons even if they contradict the lessons you learned yesterday."
- Ellen Degeneres
---------------------------------------------
"All great achievements require time" ~Maya Angelou
GiddyUpMunky

Double stuffed baby!

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009 02:28:02 PM »

What sort of questions did you have on your trivial pursuit cards? Just wondering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...