A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
251 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: OH DEER. Antlers?!?!?  (Read 33220 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , antlers , deer , costume_idea , halloween_costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
shea_47
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009 04:36:45 PM »

this is such a cute costume idea. make sure you take pics of yourself all done up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I have put my heart and soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." -Vincent van Gogh
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009 12:18:55 AM »

I think your antlers will turn out better than what's in your inspiration pic
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
FluffheadSarah
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009 09:49:31 AM »

Oh DEER! I love this costume idea, I actually thought of it on my own (before reading all of your wonderful ideas online) a couple of weeks back. I'm still trying to get my boyfriend to be the hunter...(don't think it's gonna happen tho. oh well)

Anyway, the girl's makeup in that one pic is amazing. Definitely a great jumping off point. When I showed my boyfriend this thread, he was in shock because he knows that girl AND the guy in that picture. How crazy is that?? He used to work with the girl. Nuts.

So, Deer friend, I just picked up some rigid-wrap from the store. I'm sure you've got the antlers covered by this point, but i thought i'd pass this advice on.

Any ideas for makeup yet? I'm not sure what kind to buy...any advice would be greatly appreciated!

As for Halloween in the Philly area (I just moved over the bridge to SJ but up until a month ago I lived on South St!), not really sure what's going on. I'm traveling to NY to see the band moe. Should be pretty sick.

Lots of love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Exit22
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009 10:55:26 AM »

I am going to be a deer, thanks to this thread. I was having a nervous breakdown and stressing about costumes, and thank god you had this idea.

I made antlers out of tinfoil, duct tape and model magic. Then I painted them with several shades of brown/tan/white. They look really realistic. I attached them to a brown ribbon, because I thought it looked cute.

I am wearing a little brown dress, brown sweater and brown tights. I made ears and spots out of felt.

Also, I bought Ben Nye face paint and it is so amazing and perfect.

My boyfriend is going as a hunter, because he just has to wear a plaid shirt, silly hat and suspenders, and he doesn't love to dress up.

Thanks for the idea, I can't wait to see deer pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2009 07:23:43 AM »

that sounds adorable, exit22!  i would love to see pictures of your getup (possibly while being hunted by your boyfriend?)

what a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009 01:13:45 PM »

i needed a last minute halloween costume, so i just finished my antlers!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Exit22
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009 01:22:58 PM »

A herd of craft deer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
latenightmischief
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009 02:30:08 PM »

Hey! Crazy, I just finished a deer costume yesterday and wore it out last night.. then found this posting today. I was going to be a skunk, since I found this awesome fur, but then I randomly went into a home decor/dollar store (yes, these combos exist) trying to find a pumpkin carving kit. I instead came across individual antlers that are meant to be used as hooks. They were small and not too heavy, and looked so real, so I had to switch my idea up.

I ended up being kinda more of a reindeer/caribou/elk deer.. since I still wanted to use the fur I originally bought for my skunk costume.

Anyway, my antlers ended up being perfect and completely sturdy on my head. The key is for them not to be too heavy, or too wide. Mine stuck pretty straight up.

Here's how i did them:
The antlers I bought were flared at the base, kind of like real antlers. I had a bunch of those thin, plastic headbands that you buy at the dollar store on hand, so I attempted to use those as my base. I positioned and hot-glued the antlers between two headbands (using tons of glue, just in case!), so that they sat a bit above the flared base of the antlers and kind of pinned them in. then i wrapped brown ribbon as tightly as possible around the headbands, between the antlers, and down a bit on either side. Then I hot-glued the ends of the two headbands together so that they formed one big headband, hot-glued ribbon to the ends, wrapped it around the ends to secure, with extra hanging off so I could tie the headband tight around my head when I wear it.

Then I styled my hair, pinning the front of my hair back over the headband, so that you couldn't see it at all.
Ta da! secure antlers!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥me
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2009 03:16:07 PM »

you look adorable!!!  nice costume :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
FluffheadSarah
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2009 02:02:26 AM »

This is amazing, so many crafty deers on halloween. Have a great day/night everyone!! Enjoy being Deer!!!! This costume is totally the best idea ever, we are all brilliant!

Lots of love and smiles and deer antlers and hooves!

S.J.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...