A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
341 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 114
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Jordy Bag - Square Bottomed Lined Bag  (Read 842403 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , purse , tutorial , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

pirouette
« Reply #810 on: July 24, 2005 01:39:07 AM »

I'm learning how to sew, and I have two questions.
First, what's the significance of the size of the square cut-outs? If you cut larger squares, will it make the square bottom larger?
Second, why is it that some bags look pretty rectangular while others seem to flare out more on top? Would it flare more if you cut the sides of your pieces on slight angles?

I guess that was more like four questions, but thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mthompson828

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 24, 2005 08:21:16 AM »

I'm learning how to sew, and I have two questions.
First, what's the significance of the size of the square cut-outs? If you cut larger squares, will it make the square bottom larger?

The square cut-outs determine the size of the sides and bottom.  The width of the sides/depth of the bottom will be roughly twice the length of one of the cut-out sides, minus seam allowance (does that make sense?)  The larger you make your cut-outs, the bigger your bag will be across the sides, but remember this also means your front/back panels will be smaller.  If you take a couple of rectangular pieces of paper and cut squares out of the corners, then fold the "wings" this has created, you might get a better idea of why this works.  This is also a great way to figure out the pattern for the size you want to create.
Second, why is it that some bags look pretty rectangular while others seem to flare out more on top? Would it flare more if you cut the sides of your pieces on slight angles?
I think at least part of that is from the sturdiness of the fabric.  Adding interfacing DEFINITELY makes a more squared off bag, since the fabric has more structure that way.  I actually go a step farther and iron all of the sides into creases after I've put the whole thing together and sewed it up.  It squares off the whole thing nicely, and I think gives it a more professional look.  And I'd have to play with it, but I think that yes, if you were to cut your sides at angles, it would give it a flared look.  Anybody else tried this?

Hope this helps.  Welcome to sewing!
Michelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cowgirl

I get lazy sometimes...

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 24, 2005 11:03:13 AM »

I made 5 new jordys last weekend. i made two of the american food one.

all of them

the princes jordy that I made from dress up clothes, polka dotted fabric, a silver sharpie and blanket binding. i made this for my friend's little sister whos going to be 4. in it i included a strechy faux pearl necklace and Disney Princess stickers

the american food jordy purse that I made two of (one for me and one for my friend). I love this fabric! In hers I included 2 bottlecap picture marble pins.

the poodle one I made for her other sister whos 10. in it I included a b&v digest and a junior mints box pin

the cake one that I cut out a loong time ago but never sewed. I messed up on a transfer so I covered it up with the felt cake applique

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011 04:19:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mardar

What did I do this time!

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 24, 2005 03:57:40 PM »

I did cut my red white and blue bag faired out at the top. And the light blue one is square. Here is the link to my two bags.

http://community.webshots.com/album/392259773TqAJuT

They are cut exactly the same way, I just cut the sides of one on a flared out slant instead of straight up and down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luvsquilts
« Reply #814 on: July 24, 2005 07:59:39 PM »

Mardar-
I love your red, white & blue bag.  Is that made from one placemat?

I bought some placemats awhile back to make some bags but never got around to it.  I guess because I wasn't quite sure how I was going to make them.  Now that I can make a Jordy bag I will attempt it... when I have some time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
Mardar

What did I do this time!

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 24, 2005 09:06:18 PM »

Yes luvsquilts, It's was a double sided placemat. And I used a bandana for the lining. It was very easy to make after I read Jordys tut. I also used iron on interfacing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #816 on: July 25, 2005 10:41:02 AM »

Why oh why didn't I see the idea of using placemats to make these a few weeks ago? I Pier 1 had their places mats on sale for 25 cents each and had loads of different ones.. I just didn't need them at the time!

Bah Humbug.  Lips sealed Undecided

Oh well.. next time!

Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
tammyinwv
« Reply #817 on: July 25, 2005 10:05:37 PM »

Hi everyone. I just found the bag instructions this evening , after reading several replies and lots of ideas, I made my first one.I had to post the pics.I think it turned out pretty good, especially since my 16 yr old daughter now wants one.
Tammy

The bows came about by accident.I dint have any bought cording, so I covered some twisted yarn with matching fabric.Well when it came time to tie them, I didnt make them quite long enough so I made the bows to cover the ends of the cording.

This is my first frog closure.

I made this zipper closure from memory after reading a tutorial on here.The phone lines went out for awhile after a storm and I couldnt go back and re read them.Had to rip it out several times before I got it right.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005 06:08:29 AM by tammyinwv » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Martini
Nevermind the bollocks!

Vintage me, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 26, 2005 11:41:15 AM »

YAY!   Cheesy  I saw this tute and I HAD to make one...just to see if I could do it.  AND I DID (can't contain my excitement!)  I did mine in a black and red asian-style print with a red silky lining.  I'm new to craftster...so, don't mind my giddiness!  LOL   Tongue  The tute was SO simple to follow.  I'm very excited and I thank you for sharing with all of us!  YOU ROCK!  And I wish you the VERY BEST OF LUCK with your company!  You'll do great!   Smiley  Thank you, again for the awesome idea!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find happiness...wear polka-dots!
Tom-cat
« Reply #819 on: July 26, 2005 05:32:08 PM »

Thanks for the TUT. I'll try iT.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 114 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...