A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 314,797
Currently Running With Scissors:
327 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 114
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Jordy Bag - Square Bottomed Lined Bag  (Read 856095 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , purse , tutorial , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: May 27, 2005 06:10:57 PM »

I like my bags to be something I can throw in the wash, but I wanted them to be solid on the bottom. So I made a bottom insert that's water proof (cardboard, heavy, wrapped completely in duct tape) in a fabric pouch.
i was having the same problem .. great idea!!!!!  thanks so much for posting it! ! Smiley

Can someone please tell me how to do this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mthompson828

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 27, 2005 07:53:44 PM »

Can someone please tell me how to do this?

When I did this, I cut a piece of cardboard to the size of the bottom, wrapped it in duct tape for some degree of waterproof-ness and sturdiness, then slipped it in through the hole in the lining before sewing up that second corner.  I know someone said they've used plastic canvas - I think I'm going to try that on the next one in case it gets washed.

I love the versatility of this project/technique.  I've made about a dozen bags now, mostly with remnant fabrics from the cheap bin at Jo-Ann's or my local thrift shop.  I've been playing with altering the strap design, adding pockets, and so forth.  I'm in the process of making a knitting bag with pockets for my mother-in-law, who usually just uses a plastic bag.  She saw another one of my bags and loved it, so I'm hoping she'll like this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 27, 2005 08:39:37 PM »

Thanks!! Now I can walk around with my new bag without it looking like it's sagging Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fonduie
« Reply #753 on: May 27, 2005 10:05:07 PM »

This is plastic canvas.  Many purse patterns call for this stuff cut down to fit into purse linings to make the bag stiff but still washable.  I have made a few purses using the stuff and it has worked brilliantly.  I have to admit that I haven't had to wash any purses yet but I can imagine that it would work.  Oh, and don't forget to use interfacing too, it's a hassle but well worth it.

Anyway, hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My etsy Store:
fonduie.etsy.com
It's NEAT!
jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 27, 2005 11:15:20 PM »

Thanks Fonduie!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beastbunny
« Reply #755 on: May 29, 2005 06:57:15 AM »

Hooray, my Jordy!  I made it a while ago but thought I'd post a picture!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kathyruth
« Reply #756 on: May 29, 2005 08:04:36 AM »

I made my Jordy with leftover circus fabric that I love.  This bag is so cute and was so easy to make. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pleca
i come from the jerk store

Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: May 30, 2005 09:46:00 AM »

Love all of your bags!  Must make one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's a luscious mix of words and tricks...
WhimsyTyme
« Reply #758 on: May 31, 2005 05:41:23 AM »

I so enjoy seeing all of these Jordy's and the slight differences in each of them.

I posted this over in discussion and questions, but wanted to post it here too.  I have seen a couple of you have piped the bags you have posted on this thread (yes, I have read the thread ALL the way through  Shocked ) so maybe you can help -

I am new to piping.  I am pretty much using this tute to make my bag.  I am not going to have the handle(s), as this is on a much larger scale. 

If I want to pipe this bag -

1.  One one side/section of the bag, I take the piping across the top and down the sides and stop at the top of the square (for the bottom)?

2. Do I just pipe the top on the opposite section?  In another words - I take one whole side/section and pipe across the top and down the sides and then just across the top on the other side/section?

3.  Since I will have a zipper closure on the top - should I even pipe the top?  If I do, it goes between the zipper and the outer fabric, right?  If I would typically topstitch along the zipper - would I skip this when using the piping?

Thanks so much for your help on this, I have been pondering this for a while and really am itching to get started on the bag that I want to pipe. 

You guys are so darn helpful here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharla

I love my very first rotary cutter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #759 on: June 01, 2005 04:30:35 PM »

Here is my jordy bag:

And the lining ( I like pink!!):

I made my pattern a little bigger than the original. This  bag was so fun to make!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011 04:39:57 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: http://stellasjewels.etsy.com
My Friend Sheri's shop http://GlitterKnitter.etsy.com
I'm also Sharla on Ravelry!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 114 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Rainy Days
Meatless Monday: Semlor aka Swedish Cream Buns
@Home This Weekend: Boho Wall Hanging

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...