A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 314,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
155 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 114
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Jordy Bag - Square Bottomed Lined Bag  (Read 853749 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , purse , tutorial , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: May 27, 2005 06:10:57 PM »

I like my bags to be something I can throw in the wash, but I wanted them to be solid on the bottom. So I made a bottom insert that's water proof (cardboard, heavy, wrapped completely in duct tape) in a fabric pouch.
i was having the same problem .. great idea!!!!!  thanks so much for posting it! ! Smiley

Can someone please tell me how to do this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mthompson828

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 27, 2005 07:53:44 PM »

Can someone please tell me how to do this?

When I did this, I cut a piece of cardboard to the size of the bottom, wrapped it in duct tape for some degree of waterproof-ness and sturdiness, then slipped it in through the hole in the lining before sewing up that second corner.  I know someone said they've used plastic canvas - I think I'm going to try that on the next one in case it gets washed.

I love the versatility of this project/technique.  I've made about a dozen bags now, mostly with remnant fabrics from the cheap bin at Jo-Ann's or my local thrift shop.  I've been playing with altering the strap design, adding pockets, and so forth.  I'm in the process of making a knitting bag with pockets for my mother-in-law, who usually just uses a plastic bag.  She saw another one of my bags and loved it, so I'm hoping she'll like this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 27, 2005 08:39:37 PM »

Thanks!! Now I can walk around with my new bag without it looking like it's sagging Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fonduie
« Reply #753 on: May 27, 2005 10:05:07 PM »

This is plastic canvas.  Many purse patterns call for this stuff cut down to fit into purse linings to make the bag stiff but still washable.  I have made a few purses using the stuff and it has worked brilliantly.  I have to admit that I haven't had to wash any purses yet but I can imagine that it would work.  Oh, and don't forget to use interfacing too, it's a hassle but well worth it.

Anyway, hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My etsy Store:
fonduie.etsy.com
It's NEAT!
jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 27, 2005 11:15:20 PM »

Thanks Fonduie!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beastbunny
« Reply #755 on: May 29, 2005 06:57:15 AM »

Hooray, my Jordy!  I made it a while ago but thought I'd post a picture!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kathyruth
« Reply #756 on: May 29, 2005 08:04:36 AM »

I made my Jordy with leftover circus fabric that I love.  This bag is so cute and was so easy to make. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pleca
i come from the jerk store

Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: May 30, 2005 09:46:00 AM »

Love all of your bags!  Must make one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's a luscious mix of words and tricks...
WhimsyTyme
« Reply #758 on: May 31, 2005 05:41:23 AM »

I so enjoy seeing all of these Jordy's and the slight differences in each of them.

I posted this over in discussion and questions, but wanted to post it here too.  I have seen a couple of you have piped the bags you have posted on this thread (yes, I have read the thread ALL the way through  Shocked ) so maybe you can help -

I am new to piping.  I am pretty much using this tute to make my bag.  I am not going to have the handle(s), as this is on a much larger scale. 

If I want to pipe this bag -

1.  One one side/section of the bag, I take the piping across the top and down the sides and stop at the top of the square (for the bottom)?

2. Do I just pipe the top on the opposite section?  In another words - I take one whole side/section and pipe across the top and down the sides and then just across the top on the other side/section?

3.  Since I will have a zipper closure on the top - should I even pipe the top?  If I do, it goes between the zipper and the outer fabric, right?  If I would typically topstitch along the zipper - would I skip this when using the piping?

Thanks so much for your help on this, I have been pondering this for a while and really am itching to get started on the bag that I want to pipe. 

You guys are so darn helpful here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharla

I love my very first rotary cutter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #759 on: June 01, 2005 04:30:35 PM »

Here is my jordy bag:

And the lining ( I like pink!!):

I made my pattern a little bigger than the original. This  bag was so fun to make!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011 04:39:57 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: http://stellasjewels.etsy.com
My Friend Sheri's shop http://GlitterKnitter.etsy.com
I'm also Sharla on Ravelry!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 114 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...