A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 320,269
Currently Running With Scissors:
282 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Muddy Dog Paw Jeans to Cool Dyed Jeans  (Read 6656 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

pvwon

"Que me amat, amet et canem meum." -Saint Bernard

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2004 08:15:26 AM »

I've been poking around on this site for a little while and all I can say is wow.  There are some terrific ideas here.  So all of this creativity has taken me back to my teenage days.  I grew up in the costume shop of a University where my mother was the theatrical costumer, so I've been sewing, dying, and reconstructing fabrics for a while.  (My dad was the scenic designer, but that's an entirely different set of projects.)

One of my favorite projects in my teenage years used to be dying blue jeans.  A little eighties, I know, but I've done it again.  I took an older pair of boot cut jeans with muddy dog paw prints on the thighs and dyed them RIT Scarlet. (I used two packets in one "small" washer load, following the directions on the inside of the packet).  

They turned out well.  Y'all should try it too.  Its a great way to reclaim your favorite jeans that you spilled lunch on or have dog paw prints on, etc.

I hope that the pictures below work.  Im new at all of this.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well behaved women rarely make history.
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004 08:24:53 AM »

Those look awesome!

I bet if you didn't want to go with a "color" you could even use dark blue dye and make the jeans indigo again... How come I never thought of that? Good idea.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004 08:56:26 AM »

oh! those are awesome! what a great color. thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
abricot
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004 09:05:31 AM »

In all my years coloring stuff with RIT, I never once thought to dye my jeans a color....

Love your pants and thanks for sharing!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004 09:44:33 AM »

And another idea if you find the most perfect fit/pair of jeans. Buy too, and dye one to make it different!

I remember a friend did this, because she has a hard time finding jeans that fit her right, and she bought to pairs and dyed one dark blue jean, and kept the other light blue! It looked really great, and I guess no one would think that she was wearing the same pair of jeans over and over and over!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlOnTheWing

this is no umbrella to take into the wind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004 12:24:10 PM »

Those jeans look great! Very Diesel like.

I have my favorite pair of  jeans that, due to an unfortunate bathroom cleaning happenstance, has a huge bleach stain down the leg. I thought about dyeing the jeans with a darker blue colour.

However, I was wondering if you knew if the dye would evenly dye the stain, instead of just dyeing the bleach stain a shade lighter than the rest of the jeans?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

j'adore le craft.
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004 03:00:22 PM »

pvwon ..they look great !

GirlOnTheWing:  it would dry the bleach spot lighter. What you can try to do is get a medicine dropper from the $ store.  Take you pants & put lots of news paper in the leg where the bleach spot is. Use the dropper to put the dye on the spot & let is sit for a few mins.  Then dye the whole pair in the prepared dye.  
Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
phonki_monki

I wonder what it's like to be a slice of cheese?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004 08:23:22 PM »

Oh wow those are so great! What a jolly idea Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imockyouwithmymonkeypantz
wordie
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004 10:06:26 PM »

those look great! do you have to use RIT in a washer? (asked on behalf of all of us in apartments with communal washers/laundromats nearby)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pvwon

"Que me amat, amet et canem meum." -Saint Bernard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004 07:21:30 AM »

those look great! do you have to use RIT in a washer? (asked on behalf of all of us in apartments with communal washers/laundromats nearby)

You don't have to do the dying in a washing machine.  There are directions on the box for three different methods: washing machine,stovetop, and sink or bucket.  I use the washing machine most of the time because of the ease of it, but have used the others and they work fine as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Homemade Sauerkraut
@Home This Weekend: Stained Chairs
Tute Tuesday: Box of Chocolates Wreath

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...