A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
167 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME WITH SHIRRING!!!  (Read 761 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
furbabiesboutique
Furbabies Boutique Pet Clothing and all kinds of Patterns

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2009 01:12:11 PM »

i watched the threadbanger tutorial video about shirring....i just tried to shirr the top of a dress i am making...and im having a problem....the thread on top of the machine is loopy underneath. its not wrapping around the elastic thread correctly...what could be causing this? i tried adjusting the tension both up and down, the further down i turn the tension, the bigger the loops and tighter the shirr, and the higher i turn the tension the smaller the loops and looser the shirring....any ideas on whats wrong? thanks so much....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY SHOP IS NOW OPEN! YAYYYY!!! 

http://furbabiesboutique.etsy.com

ALSO!!  I AM OPENING A NEW SHOP THAT WILL BE FOR MY PATTERNS AND SEWING ITEMS FOR PEOPLE....FURBABIES BOUTIQUE WILL BE STRICTLY FOR PETS!  MAKE SURE YOU BOOKMARK IT! Smiley

http://gypsyatheart2009.etsy.com
gnarlyis3
Jessica R

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009 07:11:09 PM »

It sounds like a problem with the top tension. Set all the tension knobs and screws to where they are supposed to be. Also check the screws that hold your foot and needle on and make certain that they aren't loose. If you are winding the elastic thread on the bobbin at the bottom, the bobbin tension alone will have to be loosened. Some things that might make tension 'touchy':
  Change your needle. If you are sewing with heavy/light fabric, knit/woven fabric, metallic fabric etc, choose an appropriate needle. Make certain that your needle also matches the weight (size) of the thread and that the thread is good to hold the elastic - a nice dual-duty would work.
  An old rough needle could also give you trouble and is another reason to change your needle.
  Make sure that your lower bobbin fits easily and without catching into the bobbin case in the machine and that it is all the way in.
  Make sure that the foot of the machine is all the way down on the fabric before you start to sew.
  Be careful that you are letting the fabric feed thru the machine at the rate that the feed dogs want it to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hoops & Scissors, Needles & Thread.
Don't loose pins while on the bed!
furbabiesboutique
Furbabies Boutique Pet Clothing and all kinds of Patterns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009 05:56:34 AM »

It sounds like a problem with the top tension. Set all the tension knobs and screws to where they are supposed to be. Also check the screws that hold your foot and needle on and make certain that they aren't loose. If you are winding the elastic thread on the bobbin at the bottom, the bobbin tension alone will have to be loosened. Some things that might make tension 'touchy':
  Change your needle. If you are sewing with heavy/light fabric, knit/woven fabric, metallic fabric etc, choose an appropriate needle. Make certain that your needle also matches the weight (size) of the thread and that the thread is good to hold the elastic - a nice dual-duty would work.
  An old rough needle could also give you trouble and is another reason to change your needle.
  Make sure that your lower bobbin fits easily and without catching into the bobbin case in the machine and that it is all the way in.
  Make sure that the foot of the machine is all the way down on the fabric before you start to sew.
  Be careful that you are letting the fabric feed thru the machine at the rate that the feed dogs want it to.

thank u so much for trying to help....i will experiment with what you said....i hope it works.....the only way to get it to work (reasonably) now is i have to hold both ends of the fabric taut......thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY SHOP IS NOW OPEN! YAYYYY!!! 

http://furbabiesboutique.etsy.com

ALSO!!  I AM OPENING A NEW SHOP THAT WILL BE FOR MY PATTERNS AND SEWING ITEMS FOR PEOPLE....FURBABIES BOUTIQUE WILL BE STRICTLY FOR PETS!  MAKE SURE YOU BOOKMARK IT! Smiley

http://gypsyatheart2009.etsy.com
TheDIYninja

I'm the weird mom all the soccer moms look at

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009 10:31:20 AM »

When i shirr, I put the elastic in the bobbin, stretching it some( people say not to though) and slightly tighten the bobbin tension. I uses the longest straight stitch on the machine. on a subsequent row i DO stretch the previously shirred line out so that the shirring is even.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it comes without cussing.. it's not worth doing... at least thats what I &*^%ing say!

http://thediyninja.blogspot.com
My Twitter
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...