A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
240 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old pants, redone!  (Read 758 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

ginadaniels
« on: September 11, 2009 07:56:04 PM »

So, I had these boring, ratty, old dress pants taking up space in my dresser, and I had always liked how they fit (I like a high rise it smooths out the hip/thigh area) but the fabric was just some poly blend and they were getting ratty at the hems, so I decided to use them as a pattern for a new pair!

My local fabric store had this wicked grey suiting fabric on sale for $3/m that I found and I knew they'd make an awesome pair of pants... sooo here's the process.

The original pair of pants...

I started taking them apart with my handy-dandy seam ripper.

Layed out all the pieces so I understand what pieces were what.

Then I pinned them to my fabric (sorry, no pictures for this) just like I would for a pattern, cut them out, and I looked an my original pant pieces to see which ones needed interfacing and interfaced them.

I then used this tutorial online for piecing the pants together. They explain two ways to do a pants zipper, which is nice.

And here are the finished pants. I didn't put buttons on yet, but that's because I want to pick up some really neat brass ones or something...

So what do you guys think? I saved a bit of money here because I didn't need to buy a pattern, and I already knew how the pants fit, so I saved a bit of trouble... I feel all smart Smiley

EDIT: Photobucket is not working very well, it keeps distorting the photos, and it's freakin' me out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Success is the art of being able to make money doing what you love.
ninjanator
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009 09:46:00 PM »

oh that's so awesome Smiley I've taken apart a pair of dress pants before as well, but made a vest from them instead. I don't think i trust my sewing/cutting skills enough yet to attempt a pair of pants, but yours turned out perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...