A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
206 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gluing bails onto shrinky dinks and glass tiles...  (Read 4204 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftykid09
« on: September 04, 2009 07:06:39 PM »

Hi,

I have been using e6000 to glue silver plated bailes onto shrinky dinks and glass tile pendants. I have read that this is th3 best glue to use. Trouble is that this morning the pendant that I wear all the time (shrinky dinks) came off the bail. It had been in my bag for a few days but i would think that it could handle that sort of wear...

So now I am getting worried about the jewellery I sell, which is the same. Is there something that i am doing wrong with the gluing that made it come off? I was wondering if I should try sanding the bail a bit first as it is a smooth surface but i am worried that the plating will come off.

If you have had this happen or could give me some suggestions i would be grateful.

Also i was thinking of trying sterliong silver bails with the g;lass pendants. would you still use e6000 for that or would you use a different glue?

cheers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
burntspaghetti
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009 11:00:27 PM »

I'm not sure about the glass (I don't use it), but perhaps you could make holes in your shrink plastic stuff rather than gluing it to bails. I don't know if you can drill it afterwards, but I punch holes in my shrink plastic before it goes in the oven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009 08:34:16 AM »

If you can't drill a hole, or glue something flat to the entire back of the item then glue the bail (or eyepin, etc) between that and the back of the item, then you'll usually have to use a liquid glue of some kind.  

There are certain glues that are "made for" plastic and I think for glass too, but IMO a 2-part epoxy glue would work better than E6000 and similar silicone-type glues.
E6000 has to be applied in a particular way for the most strength (read the label since most people don't intuitively do what's advised there), and there have been reports of it losing strength when in sufficient heat for long enough (e.g., walking around a craft show for several hours in the unremitting hot sun).  
2-part epoxy glues will also end up clear, but they come in various brands and setting times (the longest setting times are usually the strongest, but don't think any should be a problem). "2-Ton" Devcon is one good brand that's been used in various ways on polymer clay (including as a substitute for larger amounts of epoxy resin for coating and embedding).
You could also use a polyurethane glue like Gorilla Glue which will pretty much hold anything to anything, but it's yellow and swells while curing so must be clamped or weighted to keep the pieces firmly together, and any excess that seeps out needs to be wiped away in the beginning so it won't show.

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009 08:37:24 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009 10:08:03 PM »

I agree with Diane in that I also use 2-part epoxy to glue parts together. Yes, definitely scuff up the part of the bail that is going to be glued onto the plastic/glass.

The plating coming off shouldn't be a big deal since that part won't show (it'll be stuck onto the piece).

If you have a way to scuff up the glass (diamond file?) you should do that, too.....also scuff up the plastic piece....but only where the bail will be glued (you don't want unsightly scratches to show!)

I've read that whenever you're gluing things to always sand the back a little bit so the glue has something to grip.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
Hippie9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009 10:09:58 PM »

Oh....forgot to mention that I read in the Rings + Things catalogue that glue won't stick to a smooth, shiny surface, hence the need to scuff :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

BlackCatCrafts
Black Cat Crafts

http://blackcatcrafts.artfire.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009 05:56:02 AM »

I use mosaic tile glue for all my bails and I've never had one fall off yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hippie9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009 10:30:01 AM »

BlackCat, can you get mosaic tile glue at the hardware store? It souns intriguing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...