A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 314,817
Currently Running With Scissors:
240 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Umbilical Cord baby Hat  (Read 17225 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004 09:52:29 PM »

it looks fabulous!!! great job....i don't have a baby to put it on. need to get laid first. hahaha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
skittermagoo
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004 08:47:37 AM »

Such a cute hat!  Here is my wimpy yellow version, which was made for my friend who is due to have her baby next month:

This was only my second non-scarf project . . . and my first dpn experience.  Other than constant fear that my stitches were going to fall off, it was fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my new blog site:  www.skittermagoo.com
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004 10:46:51 AM »

I've now made two of these. My first was on sevens, and the second was on eights, which got me closer to the right guage. So one is a little smaller...I'm still going to send both off to the intended baby (born Wednesday!). I figure the smaller one might fit now, and the bigger in the fall.  I was originally going to use pink, but I couldn't find the Patons in that color, so I went for purple. Good thing, too, cause she's got red hair and we wouldn't want any clashing.  
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tavandeb
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004 10:39:14 PM »

Other than constant fear that my stitches were going to fall off, it was fun!

I was worried about that too, so I wrapped a rubberband around the ends of the needles I wasn't using.  It took a little time to unwrap/wrap them for each round, but the peace of mind was worth it.

Cute hat, by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittermagoo
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004 02:58:37 PM »

Other than constant fear that my stitches were going to fall off, it was fun!
I was worried about that too, so I wrapped a rubberband around the ends of the needles I wasn't using.  It took a little time to unwrap/wrap them for each round, but the peace of mind was worth it.

That is a GREAT idea!  I will do that next time (I'm starting a second hat tonight for the same baby-to-be, but this time in a cool kiwi green color of the same yarn.

Cute hat, by the way!

Thanks!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

inestrinh
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2004 02:04:16 PM »

I am inspired by your hats!  HOwever I bought the perfect bright blue baby yarn, i have needles, and dpn but i can't find my book!!!  aarrrghhh!  

can someone give me a quick run down of:
1) the type and gauge of yarn
2) the number of cast on stitches
3) the height of the hat before you begin decresing
4) the decrease pattern

I know this is asking for a lot I am hoping my book will turn up...  Sad

thanks

Ines
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tavandeb
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004 04:03:48 PM »

I don't have my book in front of me, but I remember some of the details from the hat.

1)  The yarn used was something like Canadia (?) in acrylic, but I don't remember the gauge.

2/3)  CO 64 stitches, knit one round (making sure not to twist the stitches), join the stiches, and knit for 5" (from the cast on row) before decreasing.

3/4)  Transfer the needles to dpns, putting a stitch marker after every 8th stitch--the 4 needles will each have 16 stitches with one marker in between them.  You k2tog before each marker and each needle's end and keep going around decreasing until there are 4 stitches left.  Then begin the I-cord.

I hope this helps...  I think the book has clearer directions and I am just going from memory.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittermagoo
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004 05:43:10 PM »

1)  The yarn used was something like Canadia (?) in acrylic, but I don't remember the gauge.

I just used a worsted weight yarn . . . can't remember the gauge right off the top of my head (at work), but I do know I used size 8 needles.

Hope that helps?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004 06:16:54 PM »

It's Patons Canadiana, and the gauge is 16 sts and 22 rows = 4 inches.  I also ended up using size 8 needles to make gauge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
inestrinh
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004 11:58:52 PM »

Thanks all!  I found my book!  I have finished about 4 inches so far--hopefull i will be done soon and i too can include a pic!!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Vanilla Spice Nut Mix
Meatless Monday: Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...