A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
255 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Great T-Shirt Renovation, Phase 1  (Read 12146 times)
Tags for this thread: tshirt , recon , shawl , wrap , shrug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MissJessica
« on: September 08, 2009 04:17:20 PM »

Hi! I haven't posted to craftster all summer, and it hurts. Part of my lack of sewing stemmed from a surprise move in mid-July (summary: my boyfriend and I were renting a house from our friend, our friend turned into kind of a slum lord, his house went into foreclosure, we went out apartment hunting on a whim and fell in love). Anyway, once I realized school was about to start, I burst into a frenzy of sewing activity. I wanted to get some back to school clothes lined up and also to bust through my t-shirt stash.

I have an entire box full of t-shirts that are either worn out, stretched out, pitted out, or otherwise just boring. I realized I needed to address this box because, while it is full, I can't buy any other t-shirts to hack apart! So all last weekend I burned through two t-shirt altering books from the library (T-Shirt Makeovers by Sistahs of Harlem and Generation T: Beyond Fashion by Megan Nicolay, the sequel to Generation T) and made SIX shirts so far. Here's a group shot:

First up is my Moulin Rouge t-shirt from Paris, which I made into a wrap shirt:

Then I got to fix one of my favorite old shirts into the "Elizabeth." It says, "Life is a Garden: Dig it." I'm trying to show the petal sleeves and curved hem. You can wear it with the shoulders up too, but I felt like a ballerina with the off the shoulder look.

Now, I love my dad, but he always buys me souvenir t-shirts in size XL because that's what I liked when I was 13. However, once I learned to sew, I appreciated the shirts even more because I got to make them into cute stuff! This Hard Rock Montreal shirt was shown like the top pic in the book, but I prefer it like the bottom pic. I don't feel so choked and I like the distortion of the circle. It has looooong ties that you can wrap a bunch of different ways:

Speaking of tying in different ways, here is my cherished Ani Difranco t-shirt recast in the "Rotation Station." Basically the t-shirt becomes a trapezoid shape with a casing in the front and back for a drawstring. If you wear it so the sleeve holes are in front, you get a v-neck. I ended up having to cut some of the words, so I saved the first part of the quote to make a choker/ bracelet/ scrunchie accessory. I probably won't wear it like that too often but I couldn't waste it:

This one was a fairly simple twist of the shoulder strap. The book recommended leaving 4'' for the strap and I think that would look better, this one's a little skimpy. I added the black band on the bottom because most t-shirts are too short for me. (Sorry about the face, it was getting pretty late at night and I was sewing too furiously to take better photos):

And, last but not least, here is my new Care Bears shrug. I'm happy about this one because I bought this shirt at Goodwill even though I knew it would never fit me. (It says, "This is my lucky t-shirt.) Now it's nice and comfy and soft, for a perfect layer:

Lucky indeed. Whew! I have several more t-shirts to whip into shape so look for future installments of this ongoing saga. Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009 05:02:52 PM »

Wow, that is a ton of work!  I'm impressed! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
notanotherxerox
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009 06:01:48 PM »

Awesome recons!!! I especially love the care bear one:) What book is that one out of?
Making a choker out of the extra words from the Ani Difranco shirt is such a creative idea!

Can't wait to see what you post next...

-Tabitha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
sallyb
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009 06:08:23 PM »

Fabulous recons!  I think I love them all - and will be tracking down those books!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissJessica
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009 06:32:37 PM »

Thanks everyone! The shrug (as well as the Ani Difranco convertible tee, the wrap shirt and the light blue twisted tank top) is from the Generation T Beyond Fashion book, but they have plenty of fashion in there in addition to other projects using t-shirts. The petal sleeve and the Hard Rock are from the T-shirt Makeovers book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Musefreak

I belong to you- Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009 11:34:21 PM »

the 4th, black one looks a bit like the le sac- only as a top
i also love the care bear one Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't resist "The Resistance" Cheesy
-
my Wist
-
Blog

interested in personal swaps
dollieoh
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009 06:16:54 AM »

U R very talented.Great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009 11:23:29 AM »

Wow a lot of good ones. Smiley  I like how you can change the look of most of them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
plummy
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009 07:44:33 PM »

Nice job, I love the carebears shrug the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to trade for kawaii Japanese fabric or cabochons!  PM me if you're interested!

Visit my etsy shop!   Cute girly clothing and accessories!  bydanalynn.etsy.com
missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009 08:43:53 PM »

i love them all, but i think my favorite is the hard rock one!  great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...