A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
131 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Southern Style Banana Pudding  (Read 2483 times)
Tags for this thread: pudding , recipe , banana  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 06, 2009 01:02:57 PM »

It's Labor Day weekend and while many people see this as the last hurrah of the summer before they cover the grill and patio furniture, I see it as the begining of cool crisp fall! But for everyone who clings to this as a summer holiday, here is a recipe I grew up on in Tennessee and it was always a special treat even though it is rediculously easy.

Summer fine southern style banana pudding!

Ingredients:
Box of Vanilla Wafers
Cool Whip
Banana Pudding (vanilla works too)
2 bananas

1. Line the bottom of your dish with vanilla wafers and prop a layer up on the sides too. You can use an old piece of tupperware if you want to but my aunt swears that dessert always tastes better in a pretty glass dish so in true southern style, I busted out the parfait dish. Id does look nice, doesn't it?

2. Make the pudding exactally like the directions on the back of the box direct. Slice up your bananas and mix in the pudding. If you really like bananas, add more. If you are more into the pudding, add less. Two bananas are perfect for my pallate. If the vanilla wafers on the side fall down, no need to stress- just shove some more down the side after you fill the dish with pudding or serve to your guests with that side facing the wall Cheesy

3. Chill in the fridge until the pudding sets. After it "hardens" plop a healthy serving of cool whip on top. Feel free to get fancy and garnish with more wafers, nuts, or even a pretty sprig of mint.

Variations: I have celiac so I can't eat anything with gluten (wheat/barley/rye) in it so I made a special batch just for me with vanilla k-toos which are similar to vanilla/golden oreos. I just opened them in half and put the iced side sunny side up. I was also thinking pecan sandies may be a nice spin as well. If you had a chocolate tooth (and don't we all?) you could use chocolate pudding and for the cookies use normal oreos, chocolate chip cookies, or go super fancy and use milano cookies. This of course would not make it banana pudding but come on- CHOCOLATE! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009 06:17:19 PM »

Oh! Om nom nom! This is making me so hungry for my momma's banana pudding, it is obscene!

She always made it with custard, but that requires the oven and makes the house hot.... so maybe I should try it this way. I will post the results of my culinary experimentations!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please
dawnofdolls
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010 05:56:55 AM »

Mmmm I love banana pudding.   Grin  Whenever we go to my bf's aunt's house, they have this - and it's always gone by the end of the day. 

This looks like a relatively easy recipe - I'll have to try it! Thanks!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/DawnOfDollz
JulieOZ
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010 03:09:32 PM »

I LOVE Banana Pudding.   Grin
Seeing this makes me hungry.
I have mae it with Pecan Sandies with pecans ontop. It is quite tasty!! Ans peacans are VERY southern.

I like with Chocolte pudding with fresh strrawberries with lady fingers or Milanons
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...